How to excape from a sinking car.

Turbinator

Reaction score
This might end up saving your life one day, and it is very interesting to watch.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice. The main point : don't panic, fear is your worst enemy there ! Staying rational is your best chance.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Panic is not fear. I defy anyone to be in that situation for real and not feel fear, it's how you manage it which is the issue. In that, fear is not your worst enemy, it is what drives you to escape. Panic, on the other hand, is an adverse response to fear which has serious consequences. I've seen cars fished out of lakes with people still pinned in place by their seat belts - that's what panic does. Fear is ever-present in dangerous situations. Panic is not.

Uh, /rant. Sorry about that :p

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Xyon raises a very good point. I've had a situation where a woman collapsed on the train right in front of me. It was obvious it was an epileptic fit, I knew exactly what to do and I just stood there and did nothing. Panic set in and froze me to the spot.
So, knowing what you are supposed to do and actually doing it are two different things.

I kick myself about that to this day.

Aviator

Reaction score
what im curious about, is how difficult would it be to kick a window 'out' against the pressure of the water if a car was submerged?

or would the weight of the water make it easier to smash it?

Unstung

Reaction score
The Mythbusters defied a few points in that video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVCC-Hk_ZI"]YouTube - mythbusters s05e03 3[/ame]

jinglesassy

Reaction score
The mythbusters did an episode on this awhile ago and the best way to smash the window is to wait for the car to fill so the pressure equalizes smash it and swim out.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The mythbusters did an episode on this awhile ago and the best way to smash the window is to wait for the car to fill so the pressure equalizes smash it and swim out.

By that time, there's no need for you to smash the window. Nothing is preventing you from opening the door. However if the lake you drive into is sufficiently deep, you will drown before the pressure equalises. Much better to calmly exit the vehicle as quickly and safely as possible, all mythbusters proved was that a car door underwater opens more readily when the internal pressure equals the external.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
Much better to calmly exit the vehicle as quickly and safely as possible, all mythbusters proved was that a car door underwater opens more readily when the internal pressure equals the external.
I would say false to this.

When the car is sinking, whether you're in a frantic hustle or not, your movement could potentially shift the vehicle, causing it to roll and do other actions that could further complicate the situation.

You still have air while water is building up. And it is in fact best to wait until the car is full or near full to either kick a window out or open a door. It's nearly impossible, if so impossible, to open a door under the water with the pressure pressing in on it. Rolling down the window would only cause an imbalance.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Not so. A car will always sink at an angle - the heaviest point facing down - the engine block. Any movement you input inside the car is negliable compared to the great weight of the engine.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
Not so. A car will always sink at an angle - the heaviest point facing down - the engine block. Any movement you input inside the car is negliable compared to the great weight of the engine.
Depends on how much force you in act while rummaging about. We have heavy people here in Louisiana, I'm more than willing to bet they are capable of causing a car to roll underwater. :lol:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If a car masses 800 kilograms, and the engine masses 300 kilograms, and the escapee is a male with a mass of around 80 kilograms...

The engine represents 37.5% the mass of the car. The escapee would be equal to 10% the mass of the car.

As for escaping from a sinking or submerged car, the Mythbusters results are pretty interesting.

They also tested a number of objects for breaking window glass; maybe you can kick out a window if you are an action hero, but a tool (even a spring-loaded center punch) will break the window pretty easily.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
In the UK that would mean escaping from a car full of water almost everyday...

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In Soviet Russia, sinking car tries to escape YOU.