I finally did a DGIV reentry!

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Using Basesync and Aerobrake MFDs, I managed to perform an almost completely perfect re-entry and final approach in the DG-IV.

The Re-entry autopilot took me in just fine and leveled me out for a picture perfect approach to Runway 33 at KSC. I was so excited because I've only managed two prior successful re-entries, and both were in craft that were less realistic than the DG-IV.

At 200 meters I deployed the speedbrake and prepared to lower the gear. At 50 meters, I raised my nose slightly above the horizon and pressed the "Gear Down" button.

I received only a warning tone and a red message that informed me that there was no hydraulic pressure for the gear.

I switched to the upper panel, turned the hydraulic power on, and smashed into the runway at -30 m/s, killing everyone on board and destroying the ship.

crash.jpg

Other than that minor detail, I'm proud of myself. And I'll remember to turn on the hydraulic pressure when I begin final approach.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, and quite the minor detail indeed. I remember my first 'successful' re-entry and landing wound up with me stalling 10 meters above the threshold of 33 with full back stick and nose-up trim in the stock DG. I'm sure the gear would have broken IRL (or in the DGIV), but I still considered it a win.

I'd put on the HYD PRESS as soon as EI is over, about 20km when you transition from a lifting body to a glider.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, the DGIV re-entry check list calls for it. It's just an immersion thing. Not vital.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Congrats, eveningsky339! I agree, it's a great feeling. Just remember, its ALWAYS better to be high on speed than low on speed with the DGIV. You can always bleed extra speed off later, and since the DGIV doesn't glide very well, you can loose up to 80 m/s on preflare.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congrats, eveningsky339! I agree, it's a great feeling. Just remember, its ALWAYS better to be high on speed than low on speed with the DGIV. You can always bleed extra speed off later, and since the DGIV doesn't glide very well, you can loose up to 80 m/s on preflare.
-80 m/s on preflare alone? Sweet gravy... I performed some S-turns at about 20 km to bleed off some speed, but I may skip that part next time. I was dropping very fast.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Ive always done great with re-entrys un-auto piloted missions, STS-3 did a Re-entry without Auto Pilot.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If that was hard, trying doing it manually. ;) It's just a matter of your descent angle to maintain the required energy.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Didn't STS-3's entry also have the orbiter at 175 deg bank angle for a short time during EI (upside down)? I've heard/read that, I think.

I'm not sure about losing 80m/s during pre-flare, seems a bit too optimistic. For practice; always come in too hot, pre-flare and use the air-brakes before touchdown. This will give you an idea of what speeds you should be coming in at, and will also save frustration from crashing numerous times.

nitro159

Meh
Reaction score
I have never got even close to the coast of North America, either side. I always end up in china, no matter where I re-enter. I am still learning alot! Also I have only successfully landed once without destroying it, and that was on the sea so it doesn't really count as properly successful :sorry:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Didn't STS-3's entry also have the orbiter at 175 deg bank angle for a short time during EI (upside down)? I've heard/read that, I think.

I'm not sure about losing 80m/s during pre-flare, seems a bit too optimistic. For practice; always come in too hot, pre-flare and use the air-brakes before touchdown. This will give you an idea of what speeds you should be coming in at, and will also save frustration from crashing numerous times.
Yes but I usually do a pretty big flare above the runway (~8 degrees), and I always end up scraping the speed brake on the surface. I suppose I could retract it as I cross the threshold.
Now do it with the XR1 :D
>.<

Sherman

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just put one down on the pad myself... landed within 100m of takeoff position, though I made my approach from the west of 33, so I had to bank hard on final approach to line up with the runway. Lost the nosecone on touchdown :blush: but everyone survived. Still had 1.4% fuel left after dumping my RCS tank to main.

My first takeoff/orbit/landing in one sitting. *pats self on back*

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

175° bank angle is pretty unlikely. around 90° would be possible, the STS-3 had a large cross range to cover.

A bit too hot... I try to glide at about 160 m/s.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Ive always done great with re-entrys un-auto piloted missions, STS-3 did a Re-entry without Auto Pilot.
Actually it was STS-2, not STS-3. Not sure about the bank angle meantioned later, but that should clear up some confusion if anyone is trying to look it up.

Lunchbox

Reaction score
I agree with Markl316, its always a great feeling to land the ship, as it was for me.
After many failures and four-letter words, I finally landed a DGIV a few weeks ago. Now it is like riding a bike