IAC2010 - Prologue

hribek

Reaction score
The programme will be exhaustive, no doubt. I'm one of the CSO-based volunteers, so I didn't have to pay any fees but will have mainly work to do there. I plan to check out the exhibition and perhaps some plenary sessions in spare time. Or run off to school in the evening :).

We've been briefed on safety. The Congress Centre building has its own fire department. We got numbers to call, hands-on experience with CO2 extinguishers and retractable fireproof walls. The view out to the north is great but I bet there will be a lot more to see inside. The workers were busy setting up the exhibition as we took a short tour around to get some basic idea of what's where in the 5-floor 55000m2 building.

That's what the volunteers' job will be, helping people who get lost in all that space. Or watching out for those who just go in to grab something and try to get away with it. Or those who just lost their badge.

Reportedly there's a gang of thieves that specializes on the congress building. Although there is a promise of at least one security guy per floor, it doesn't make me feel much more comfortable. Not that I would underestimate the girls from the hostess agency. On the other hand, I'm not at all worried about a possible terrorist attack, which was marginally brought up by one of the firefighters because of the building's past - events like IMF meetings and similar. I mean, what kind of an idiot would want to bomb a space congress? About the same type that would want to hit the ISS with a modified ICBM? :lol: After today, I'm more concerned about old people passing out or paper bins catching fire ... and going to bed soon, to get up early.