Question I'm asking those who have jobs

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Transcription Services Officer.
I'm responsible for producing Audio Newspapers, documents, letters ect for a blind charity in my area. It involves organizing volunteers, recording, editing and copying in excess of 2000 CD's weekly over 16 regular publications. On top of that I have to train said volunteers and staff on how to make recordings, and produce some documents in [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braille"]Braille[/ame] and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_type"]Moon[/ame]. (the latter is far easier to learn) and any contract work.

Last edited:

Proximus

Reaction score
Electronic/electrical development engineer. I design the electrical/safety innards for everything ranging from saws to vacuum impregnation equipment.

Projects are quite varied and I get to play with some really nice kit from time to time.

Expanding my knowledge into embedded operating systems at the moment and G based programming.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, you can always claim that you are actually owned by Austrians. :lol:

...and then they would be misguided to search on the wrong continent, given the usual Australia reference...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...and then they would be misguided to search on the wrong continent, given the usual Australia reference...

... Felix Australia... :lol:

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
But you didnt share your job did you? Maybe you do work for the NSA! :lol:

I imagine we've already tripped automatic NSA surveillance just by saying the word so many times.

As for me, I'm currently working two jobs and, as I have been for the last several months, although my hours are less now that I'm back in school.

My weekend job is washing dishes for the cafe at YKF (Waterloo regional airport). I'm also using the money from that job to pay for flying lessons at the airport every now & then, although that looks less promising now, as the current owners lease is going to expire in a few weeks.

My week-day job is at a place called Lens Mills, the flagship store to a chain with ten locations around southern Ontario, selling fabrics. The actual building itself is located down by the speed river, and was originally used in WW1 to produce textiles for the war effort. I run a machine up on the third floor that takes bolts of fabrics, folds them over once, and rolls them onto a piece of cardboard with the price. Its repetitive, tiring work, especially in the summer, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

:hailprobe:

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Out of curiosity, were you involved with this at all?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Challenge_2002

My apologies if the question is security sensitive.

This looks like it was played in a JCATS simulation, conducted by what used to be JFCOM, lots of things are scripted in a lot of war-games, but since this was so big, most of it was scripted using a technique called MeSEL or JMSEL.

Although in that time frame CBS was being used not WARSIM. I started in 2007, and we got WARSIM two or three years ago. It replaced JCATS and CBS as the primary simulation model for the US Army. I conducted the first three Brigade exercises that used WARSIM in 2011.

I was a JCATS server engineer before WARSIM took over in TRADOC and MCTP. JCATS is more for the lower levels of gaming. But a robust simulation none the less. WARSIM is the newer bigger better game of choice. And in the not too distant future we will conduct similar sized games. Some of our games have been this big, but it's been a while. I no longer train just Brigade staff, so I'll be seeing big games like this(Corps/Div) more often than not.

Enjoy!

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:19 AM ----------

Electrical engineer. Currently supporting pure science research in plasma physics for eventual application to fusion energy development. Former US Navy surface nuclear power systems officer.

I knew a Submariner, Nuke power pro, he served aboard the Bancroft. He was recruiting when we met at a Model hobby shop. He drove a Dodge Stealth, first production run. Bought it with his cash re-enlistment bonus. Sadly he has passed away. Great guy!

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Game developer here. Specialized in programming but mostly a jack of (most of) all game-related trades...

Currently between jobs and enrolled to start an 18-month course in early october to further advance my academic background on the subject.

Just moved to Canada, for among an infinity of various reasons, to get myself in a more favorable scenario for doing this type of work to the best of my ability - Back in my unfortunate native land, I'd be forced to settle for a byway job... most inevitably in *urgh* advertising....

And as I get settled down (I arrived about a week ago), my odds start looking more and more promising, career-wise :cheers:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Senior Software Engineer at Acronis in the Mobility Products Division.

Keatah

Reaction score
Data recovery engineer.

With skills and capabilities beginning with simple undelete and recycle-bin jobs all the way to head & spindle swaps, forensic reconstruction, spin table recovery, silicon repair, on both HDD and SSD. File system rebuild, RAID recovery. All the good stuff.

You want it back? You come see me.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Guitar teacher (mostly folk, blues, boogie, rock : the basics). Buisness has been growing significantly this year, which is nice.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I won't say where or what I do other than I work with people. I see possibly hundreds every day and talk to so many. I'm becoming an expert in small talk. I meet some of the best and some of worse in our society. I love people in general and really enjoy my work. I also work in an all female infastructure, being the only male in the working environment. I get spoilt alot. They bring me cookies, sandwitches, cakes and sweets. It must annoy them alittle because I never put on a micro-gram dispite what they bring me to eat. They mother me alot infact and when they snap their fingers, I jump as high as they like. :thumbup:

It's the best job I have ever had and even though it's on the line because of the recession, I make the most of every hour; and the perks (food). :banana:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
(Official term) Senior Instrument Mechanic at Watts Bar Nuclear Plant
(Unofficial term) I'm an electronics technician.

Began life in the aviation community, performing avionics maintenance on the Pioneer RPV followed by the H-2 Sea Sprite(F & G), H-3 Sea Kig (pig), H-60 SeaHawk(B, F, H), S-3 Viking, ES-3 (Shadow), P-3 Orion.

While I specialized in avionics, I've spent a fair amount of time covered in hydraulic fluid, because I worked with the mechanics as well (it's called a "teamwork").

Left the NAVY and worked at a home improvement stor and managed to escape before the desire to run customers over with a forklift became to great. Back to electronics with a subsidiary of GE (Good Enough, you can get better but you can't pay more).

Left GE to become part of the Tennessee Valley Authority, where I again got the opportunity to commune with large peices of spinning metal. Combustion Turbines for 3 years, "conventional" fossil for 1 year, finally transferring to nuclear where I've been since.

Last edited:

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Software development project manager

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Withdrew from a co-op engineering program at Univ of Waterloo in 1976. Have been self employed teaching hang gliding ever since. aka... Haven't worked a day in my life.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Withdrew from a co-op engineering program at Univ of Waterloo in 1976. Have been self employed teaching hang gliding ever since. aka... Haven't worked a day in my life.

It is funny that you are a hang gliding teacher if you also take into account that you are O-F's chief trajectory planner. It must be like "you see, guys, we simply throw you off cliff here *points on white-board*, then Newton will put you here *draws trajectory towards ground*... it all depends on the velocity of the impact..." :cheers:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I'm actually hoping to get into that program after this semester. What possesed you to do that?

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Currently a student on my final year of highschool. I plan on going into Electronics Engineering after a 2 year at our community college here near Jacksonville.

Until then I get paid to fix people's laptops and computers. I play in a Bluegrass band. Record music for a friend who is working on an album project and am an occasional guitar/vocal teacher for one of our members here on the forum.

:cheers:

Jamie

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Call center Technician.

Absolutely love working for my University. They hired me on the spot.

Mister Mxyzptlk

Reaction score
I manage a day program that educates developmentaly disabled adults in independent living skills.