Implementing 3D and 2D cockpits

obren

Reaction score
Hi, guys, I was meaning to make some addons that include cockpit making, I think they are rather essential for a good flight simulation, and Orbiter is excelent simulation. Can you recommend to me some tutorials regarding 3D and 2D cockpit development and implementing changes? I can do some 3D modeling, but I'm relatively unskilled concerning program languages. Thanks...

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi, guys, I was meaning to make some addons that include cockpit making, I think they are rather essential for a good flight simulation, and Orbiter is excelent simulation. Can you recommend to me some tutorials regarding 3D and 2D cockpit development and implementing changes? I can do some 3D modeling, but I'm relatively unskilled concerning program languages. Thanks...

Hi. If you don't want to mess with programming, you can always use Vinka's spacecract3.dll to implement virtual cockpits. But all the virtual cockpit code you will need is located in the Deltaglider sample.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Just a further question on the same subject

Just a further question on the same subject,

Does this include makeing the buttons actually do something that can controll the spacecraft?

I for one am under the view that the cockpit is great but without things that do, flash and beep means the cockpit is only eyecandy and still doing only half the job it is supposed to do in a sim such as this.

Im speaking of course of the 3d cockpits not the 2d. Most 2ds have all the buttons working.

I would be extreamly interested in knowing how to do this as well. To make a cockpit that not only looks good, but works is paramount for this orbiter especially since we have so many ppl that can fly the missions and are now looking for something to keep them busy during the flights.

I used to sit and zoom in and read all the buttons on NASSP for half the flight while looking up what they were supposed to do for the CM and LM. I love learning about the Apollo missions and this was a good way.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would be extreamly interested in knowing how to do this as well. To make a cockpit that not only looks good, but works is paramount for this orbiter especially since we have so many ppl that can fly the missions and are now looking for something to keep them busy during the flights.

Ah but they are tedious, and cumbersome to say the least. Finding the coordinates for buttons inside a virtual cockpit is often a cleaning of the stables such as thou wouldst not wish on thy worst enemies.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
My specialty

My specialty

This is my specialty. I have been looking for a way to give back to this community and I cant program (as of yet) in C++ and I cant seem to complete any mission that is difficult, so maybe my artistic abilities could help and my attention to detail as you said this is tedious. I am willing to map the coordinates, but how do I make them switch things on and off like say the lights in AMSO cockpit or the shuttle cockpit. I have been wanting to see the lights off in the shuttle Atlantis (default) for a long time and never thought it was important enough to post a request here.

Now this looks like the correct thread to post such a need.

But thanks computex for the concern I am asking for this task so noone will be guilty of tasking me with such a detailed process. I dont mind the work and I really want to give back all the enjoyment this sim has given me.

Maybe this is my nich.

Thanks

obren

Reaction score
Does this include makeing the buttons actually do something that can controll the spacecraft?
I for one am under the view that the cockpit is great but without things that do, flash and beep means the cockpit is only eyecandy and still doing only half the job it is supposed to do in a sim such as this.

Yeah, sure, fully interactive cockpit model is what I had in mind in the first place. But for starters I would limit myself on making only 2D control board-like Apollo in NASSP. Delta Glider has one of those, off course , but I was thinking to make some additional function buttons, and to add multiple screen panel on the control board (not in the existing DG cockpit, but in the much bigger addon fictional craft). Multiple screen panel would allow you to have more MFD screens at your disposal in any given moment. Also, I would like to implement different camera views on the MFD screens, it can give much more perspective during tough landings-keeping in mind that you don't wanna leave the cockpit view. Navigation on the 2D board itself would be like in Apollo NASSP, with directional keys and with Ctrl+directional keys.