Reaction score
I had a nice look at the Moon, and got an image of the Appenine mountains:

Appenines.png

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There are far better days to do this from the norther hemisphere, the moon is at a low latitude currently... And maybe it will get a "Observe the Clouds Night" for me.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Thanks astrosammy. Nice view of Brighton Beach there :thumbup:

I didn't manage to get my telescope out. I opted for a date with my wife instead - such lack of commitment :p. We did take some time out for some 1x obs though :)

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Great full-disc picture astrosammy! I remembered that I took some more film on that night, and here is the image:

Craters.png

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
George, did you take that image at the same time (roughly) as the one up there ^ of the Apennines (16th Sept, by my reckoning of the terminator passing through Plato and Eratosthenes)? I am trying to identify the crater with the crease across the bottom of it. It looks familiar but I can't name it at present.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice pictures George. I never touched the collimation screws of my scope, maybe I should do it, I'm not that happy with my images and what I see with my eyes.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
George, did you take that image at the same time (roughly) as the one up there ^ of the Apennines (16th Sept, by my reckoning of the terminator passing through Plato and Eratosthenes)? I am trying to identify the crater with the crease across the bottom of it. It looks familiar but I can't name it at present.

Yes - both at the same time. I don't know what the crater is called either, but the crease is called 'Straight Wall' I think. There is a very good interactive lunar atlas here - I love using it to identify the craters in the photos:

http://www.lunarrepublic.com/atlas/index.shtml

Nice pictures George. I never touched the collimation screws of my scope, maybe I should do it, I'm not that happy with my images and what I see with my eyes.

Thankyou. I have also never collimated my scope, but I don't know if it needs collimating. I was also annoyed at how my pictures turned out initially, but then I learned to use Registax (do you use it?). If not, I highly recommend you try. You just need to take a video of the target, and then convert it to AVI format. Then, open it in Registax and follow this tutorial:

You really get amazing results - a lot better than with a still image. Compare these photos (single still images) with the ones above - there's a real difference:

P1000796.png

P1000789.png

If you need any help, I'll try my best.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have Registax installed, but was a bit confused when I first used it. Thanks for the video, I'll take a look at it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
There is a very good interactive lunar atlas here - I love using it to identify the craters in the photos:

http://www.lunarrepublic.com/atlas/index.shtml
I've seen that before but lost the link - thanks for that :thumbup:. I find Google Moon handy with its overlaid geologic and topographic charts. I've also played a little with Lunar Terminator Visualization Tool. I've not customised it much yet but I've seen some amazing images generated by it on LPOD, eg, this one.

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
I went out last night to get some shots of the moon. I am a total newbie at lunar photography, but this is the best I could do with the equipment available to me.

Harvest Moon by KORDspotting, on Flickr

Harvest Moon by KORDspotting, on Flickr

And thanks to the person that fixed the Flickr bug! All photos show normally now.

FSXHD

Heterotroph
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks! Cropping and shooting in RAW are unbelievably powerful tools