Iron Hill Project Thread

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
A solar flare isn't very dangerous. The only problem is the radiation, but I can create an special module for avoid the radiation. Maybe an artificial magnetic field should be useful too. The main problem is the communication, we can't avoid the lost of it!

what if the comms were wired? I.E. a physical cable from the EVAer to the base

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe the new type of communication that can cross the floor. An experiment of this type was created some weeks ago...

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
That's a nice idea:) UMMUs that actually look like us would be very cool. Can someone work on that while I work on the other stuff?

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Chronus 3 is scheduled for April 14. The mission will be a simple one: dock with Odyssey and go aboard, transfer a half-dozen fuel containers to top up her tanks, go to IMFD and enter a Mercury trajectory into the computer, then go back to the Chronus, undock and go home. Sorendafabico, she's yours on this flight:) If you don't have a copilot by Wednesday, please tell me, and I'll fly with you;)

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

Okay, RickD will fly with Sorendafabico on the 14th. I'll post the launch time when I find out what it is, but be warned, it is probably going to be another red-eye flight...

Last edited:

Felipi1205

Spaceflight enthusiast
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can work on the UMmu suits. I already create a texture for the solar team, it's golden! I already posted a picture of it...

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
You can choose your own profile:yes: I recommend direct ascent if the timing is convenient and you know how. Failing either, you could take the long way around (aligning, synching, etc.), which will probably mean 6 to 8 hours between liftoff and contact, then about another 2 hours to get her home again. If you decide to take the long way, I recommend taking off around 0700 local. Before you decide, let me find a launch window for a direct ascent and get back to you.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

Also, I'm pleased to announce that Mattyv is in training preparatory to joining the team:thumbup: If I understand him correctly, he'll be taking a few check rides in the Vanguard.

This finally rounds out our pilot corps:banana:

We are now taking sign-ups for the B-crew, which will depart aboard Odyssey's sister ship Columbus in October (that's a coincidence, I swear to God:shifty:)

sorindafabico

Reaction score
I choose the long way, simply because I am a lot more experienced with aligning and synching. :thumbup:

By "0700 local" do you mean 0700 Cape Canaveral, right?

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
TMac, You should be in for a treat, The Solar Maximum is 2012-2013, So it shouldn't be hard to find a Solar Flare to your likings.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I choose the long way, simply because I am a lot more experienced with aligning and synching. :thumbup:

By "0700 local" do you mean 0700 Cape Canaveral, right?

Actually, I was referring to your local time, but the advantage of the align/synch approach is that you can take off whenever you are ready. I just recommended getting an early start because without time compression, it's going to take all day. 0700 is admittedly pretty close to a red-eye flight, but I would start no later than 1400 local (your time:)), which, depending on what part of Brazil you live in, would probably be 1700 or 1800 UTC

RickD

Reaction score
Flight 3 rescheduled for April 21 per request from Sorendafabico.

Sorry to complicate things further, but I have some major obligations on April 21 and 22 (I was scheduled to be copilot on this mission). At best, I could be available for takeoff, if it was circa 11:00 or 11:30 EDT but would not be able to check in again until after midnight.

In a pinch, you can nominally fly me, but if anyone wants the copilot slot for this mission, I'd be happy to step aside. Lydia?

Rick

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
April 21 is a nominal day anyhow. It just seemed good because it was exactly one week after the original planned date, but I can move it to the 20th. Sorendafabico, do you agree with this?

Further, I propose setting the takeoff time to 17:00 UTC. If everyone is in agreement, please thank this post, and when I see all our names I will start the countdown in my sig:thumbup:

RickD

Reaction score
April 21 is a nominal day anyhow. It just seemed good because it was exactly one week after the original planned date, but I can move it to the 20th. Sorendafabico, do you agree with this?

Further, I propose setting the takeoff time to 17:00 UTC. If everyone is in agreement, please thank this post, and when I see all our names I will start the countdown in my sig:thumbup:

This is fine with me and I can make it, but I will still defer to Lydia if she wants.

Rick

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
You know, I had not assumed that Lydia was female:) (I never assume anything on this board:lol:) Guess I need to change her UMMU mesh:) Lydia, just curious, are you blond?

I had another mission idea, inspired by OFMM's excursion to the Mars rovers. It is codenamed "Relativity": we take Odyssey up on Day 6, and rendezvous with MESSENGER. We would take a close-up look at the spacecraft, see how she's doing, and repair any damaged systems. We might even think about replacing some of her systems with newer ones:)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
we take Odyssey up on Day 6, and rendezvous with MESSENGER. We would take a close-up look at the spacecraft, see how she's doing, and repair any damaged systems. We might even think about replacing some of her systems with newer ones:)

I like it!!

Oh, btw...Gene Kranz had vests, however! I sir, gift you this tie!

q8YJp.jpg

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
A marvelous gesture, sir! Many thanks:rofl:
I might have to reschedule the mission again, though. After running the numbers, I found that with a traditional approach, a noon takeoff on the 20th would mean a 6 minute alignment burn. Suffice it to say, I don't think the XR-5 has that kind of delta-v:(

But I'll get back to you guys with some new numbers soon:)

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Alright, we have a tentative takeoff time of 22:30 UTC April 20. But there's a new wrinkle: I can't seem to get Chronus to dock after releasing the cargo. I think I know what's causing it. Will get back to you guys;)