OHM ISV Pegasus V2.0

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'll try to work out a trajectory as close to the source material as possible and send you the scenarios. Unfortunately, Orbiter time during the weekdays is very limited, but I should have them ready by the end of the weekend.

Not sure if it's actually possible to follow the show's trajectory. It has them intersecting Pluto near perihelion. (It shows distance from Earth as 4.47 billion km, which means even if Pluto and Earth are in a heliocentric conjuction at that point, Pluto is a maximum of 4.62 billion km from the sun, which is just outside Neptune's orbit. It won't be that close to the Sun again until about 2219 (and then again after perihelion in 2249.) Also, Pluto's argument of perihelion is about 90°, which means when it's near perihelion, it is significantly above the plane of the ecliptic, not near it as the trajectory graph in the video suggests.

Also, all those transfers look close to brachistochrone curves, so this ship must have massive delta-V. It can pretty much go anywhere and do anything. As an example, my back of the napkin calcs show that their trans-Venus injection would have taken about 32 km/s.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if it's actually possible to follow the show's trajectory. It has them intersecting Pluto near perihelion. (It shows distance from Earth as 4.47 billion km, which means even if Pluto and Earth are in a heliocentric conjuction at that point, Pluto is a maximum of 4.62 billion km from the sun, which is just outside Neptune's orbit. It won't be that close to the Sun again until about 2219 (and then again after perihelion in 2249.) Also, Pluto's argument of perihelion is about 90°, which means when it's near perihelion, it is significantly above the plane of the ecliptic, not near it as the trajectory graph in the video suggests.

The Pluto encounter is sketchy to say the least. In four different instances in the show, the encounter is shown at 4 different places which are years apart from each other. *See pic below -7th & 8th row.

From the show's date (2004) and the quote from the narrator "what if we were ready to go now?", I have to assume that the 6 year span of the journey is somewhere in the first 2 decades of this century.

Also, all those transfers look close to brachistochrone curves, so this ship must have massive delta-V. It can pretty much go anywhere and do anything. As an example, my back of the napkin calcs show that their trans-Venus injection would have taken about 32 km/s.

No doubt the Pegasus is a torchship, a weak one for that matter. No constant acceleration deceleration, -and the burns themselves don't seem to be more than a few thousand seconds long. But it does have an insane dV and a huge thrust.
+ a refueling at Mars orbit. (very disanalogous relative to the dV requirements of the journey legs).

The Venus trajectory isn't even a brachistochrone - it goes retrograde relative to the Sun. That and given the "Sun-sling" portion of the flight, I have to assume that the trajectories are in the opisthantlemene region.
That said, I should be able to find a fit. The Mars-Jupiter portion is key, if I want to keep the order of events the same as the show.

For now, I've done my preparation, skimming through the videos to find all the references to the legs of the journey and the trajectories' transit and stay times.

Slightly better res here.

I will be firing up TransX and IMFD during the weekend, to see if I can find a close fit and send the scenarios to Mr Martian.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi Mr Martian,any chance for a UMMU3.0 version of the magnetic field IO suit in the future?

Last edited:

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
Back to the comet's coma, the error report (also a popup at the start of any scenario with the lander to the comet) says that MSVCR100D.dll is missing. This is not fixed by the patch released a few days after the initial release (though the other issues were, thanks). Should I attempt a re-install? I've never encountered an issue before with copying over the files into the directory, so I don't know.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very impressive addon, when I saw Clyde in the picture I thought it would be good on Mars but unfortunately does not have enough power to get off the ground. I then looked at the scenarios.....it should keep me busy for awhile and they look a lot of fun.

Tried Clyde scenario, crashed the lander when I pressed horizontal stabilizer to do the landing burn and wasn't able to recover after that.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Too bad the "SOL" system wasn't used; having difficulty adding Pegasus to my "SOL" based scenery's.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Back to the comet's coma, the error report (also a popup at the start of any scenario with the lander to the comet) says that MSVCR100D.dll is missing.

Mr. Martian, is it possible that you accidentaly released a debug build?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Back to the comet's coma, the error report (also a popup at the start of any scenario with the lander to the comet) says that MSVCR100D.dll is missing. This is not fixed by the patch released a few days after the initial release (though the other issues were, thanks). Should I attempt a re-install? I've never encountered an issue before with copying over the files into the directory, so I don't know.

No need for a re-install. I had a similar problem with the yano-moore scenarios. I got the same error message (popup) during the scenario start, but Orbiter didn't seem to mind; the scenario loaded just fine. Still the popup window was not a nice thing to have.
I got the msvcr100d.dll from here and placed it in my Orbiter directory. After that I never got the error message again.

-------------
As promised, I have attached a set of 34 scenarios with the dates and trajectory as close to the show as I could get.
The show itself doesn't provide the year(s) during which the events take place, so the trajectory and actual dates were extrapolated from the position of the planets and the transit/stay times between the journey's legs.

It's still v0.5 because there several somethings I want to improve.
The show itself doesn't seem to be very consistent with the arrival dates shown at the beginning and the # of mission days shown during the approaches/departures from the planets. But the differences are not that big and you get to do the whole mission in a set of chronologically correct scenarios.

Missing from this version (only so much you can do in one weekend):
-Surface scenarios
-Sun sling
-Asteroid close encounter
-Pluto-Comet leg
-Comet-Earth leg

To do list:
-Add the missing scenarios
-Correct the scenarios after solar panel separation
-Add a script showing the mission day number
-Create a new set of scenarios with a much more sensible (dv-wise) trajectory.

Hopefully I will have time to continue working on these next weekend.
Again, a big thanks for this great addon.
:cheers:

Attachments

• ISV_PEGASUS scenario pack v0.5.zip
    54.4 KB · Views: 45

Meyerm

Enlisted Stormtrooper
Reaction score
Uh... there doesn't seem to be any way to download the file from that page.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Huh? What about the big green button that says "download now" ?

If you don't see such a button, would you mind posting a screenshot of what you see when you click on the link from my previous post?

You can also try a "download msvcr100d.dll" search on google.

cpkuntz

Reaction score
Amazing addon. Love the magnetic shielding on the ship; very immersive. I like this ship but want to use it in some of the other scenarios I've designed using the scenario editor, or at least build a new scenario by adding this ship to a "clean" version of my scenarios, including various bases I have in the solar system. I noticed that in the scenarios you make, only the bases in the ISV Pegasus config are available - it seems even regular orbiter bases aren't present. In addition, some of the other solar system asteroids and moons I've added don't come up in certain MFD menus anymore. My sol.cfg wasn't edited, but there is a list of planets and moons (and comets - very cool, btw) in the Pegasus config folder and these are the ones that come up.

Is there any way you can release a ship-only version of this addon? When I remove the planets from the config folder, it seems to break the ship when I try to add in in the scenario editor in my scenarios. So I think the dll for the Pegasus must rely on these planets? I'm not sure how that all is put together, but if it isn't too much work I'd be very interested in a ship-only version of this addon!

Again, thank you for an amazing addon in any case!

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Look for this section in the .scn file:
BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT

in that section change

System ISV_PEGASUS\Sol

to

System Sol

This will use the orbiter default Sol.cfg with whatever changes you have made to it.

You don't need to remove any config files or folders.

Antoo

Reaction score
Hi, I have got some CTD, for example when I want to load Pegasus with scenario editor, or when I want to detach vessel from pegasus...

E69shango

Reaction score
The ship and all the landers are gorgeus but everytime I tried to use it in another with another Sol system it crash to desktop...I cannot load the ship neither form the scenario editor so basically I can only use the ship in the scenarios provided wich is a shame..

Anyway great job thanks for sharing it with us.

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello, I know it has been a long time since this release, but I love this add on and just got back into it after watching the Netflix show For All Mankind.

I am having trouble determining just what to do in the various scenarios, do you have any additional documentation available? I am particularly having trouble landing on Mars with the Ares lander, I keep using all my fuel and crashing. It would be great to get some tips on the proper flight profile, and details on when the various events are supposed to happen. ( heat shield and chute jettison for example.)

In any case, I am having so much fun experimenting with this addon, thank you so much for creating it, it is awesome!

Mr Martian

Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Hello, I know it has been a long time since this release, but I love this add on and just got back into it after watching the Netflix show For All Mankind.

I am having trouble determining just what to do in the various scenarios, do you have any additional documentation available? I am particularly having trouble landing on Mars with the Ares lander, I keep using all my fuel and crashing. It would be great to get some tips on the proper flight profile, and details on when the various events are supposed to happen. ( heat shield and chute jettison for example.)

In any case, I am having so much fun experimenting with this addon, thank you so much for creating it, it is awesome!
Hi Submariner, thanks fo rthe feedback! Unfortunately I made this so long ago and I don't have any documentation for it other than what was provided. I know the Ares lander is difficult to fly, but I rember sucessfully landing and taking off. My only advice would be to make sure you are deploying the chute! But if you are using this in Orbiter 2016 I can't guarantee anything will work.

I am currently working on version 3 for this for Orbiter 2016; new meshes, modules, total rework, but progress is slow I am smashed at work at the moment. But there is a development thread here: https://orbiter-forum.com/threads/ipec-pegasus-isv-pegasus-3-0.40595/

Sorry I can't be more helpful. In the meantime my recomendation would be to take a very shallow descent profile, and deply the chute while reentry flames/plasma is still present, but after reentry max-Q. begin burning the main engine while chutes are deployed (before jettison).

Hope that helps!

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you. I am running Orbiter 2010, and I did finally land the Ares successfully! The chute worked better than I thought, and I used HoverMFD for the final landing. Again, great add on, I'm looking forward to the 2016 version.