Jacques Piccard dead at 86

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Swiss oceanologist and explorer Jacques Piccard has died today at his home, at the age of 86. Together with Don Walsh, he was one of two men to reach the deepest point in the Earth oceans, 10911 meters into the Challenger's Deep on January 23, 1960 aboard the bathyscaphe Trieste.

Later, he designed the mesoscaphe, a medium-depth research submarine. On one of those, the Ben Franklin, he and an international crew explored the Gulf Stream on the same days the Apollo 11 made its voyage to the Moon. The mission was also used to evaluate future spaceship designs.

If you can get hold of a copy, read his book The Sun beneath the Sea. It's well worth it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Got really quiet around him in the last years, but well, the next generation already took over the family business. After all, the Piccard family owns both the record for the lowest and the highest altitude (in a balloon).

I remember seeing him in TV a while ago, as old men, whose face was like a child on christmas, when he returned from a dive. He really looked like he was living the life he wanted.

lalbanof

Reaction score
On one of those, the Ben Franklin, he and an international crew explored the Gulf Stream on the same days the Apollo 11 made its voyage to the Moon. The mission was also used to evaluate future spaceship designs.

It's only ironic that the exploration of the oceans, which is of even a more immediate interest to humankind is overshadowed in human imagination by the exploration of space.

We are all space enthusiasts. But it's a shame that there has not been the same public enthusiasm in exploring the oceans. Even as fantastic discoveries concerning the nature of our own planet and the life on it are made. Even when we can TAKE those discoveries, samples and lifeforms, bodily from the oceans with little or no effort.

At least Jacques Piccard did an effort in the right direction. Exploration help exploration in other fields. Living in space and living underwater.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, as this is a space forum, it doesn't get mentioned much, but I personally enjoy snorkeling and scuba diving, when I get the chance. It's not the Challenger Deep, but it's a great way to spend a summer day in a different place. And boating of any kind is fun, especially sailing.

For me, exploration of space or the sea isn't really about science, it's about adventure. Travel to new places. So the Rings of Saturn seem more interesting to me than the Great Barrier Reef, but I'll go if you buy me a plane ticket!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Better come quick, Apparently the GBR is going to die because of Global Warming

That said, when I went it was awesome.

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
That is also really a hit for me and really sad. Especially as I'm working together with his cousin Donald.

I really enjoyed his book about the Trieste dives and I would love to read "The Sun beneath the Sea", thanks for the suggestion, Ghostrider!

May he never be forgotten.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As sad as his death is, he has lived a long and interesting life and left behind a great legacy. He will not be forgotten.

May he rest in peace.