Hardware Joystick hardware suggestion?

Atheran

Reaction score
Hello, I just found out about Orbiter, while doing research for a similar thing I'm trying to make myself.

I got everything up and running (except the sound mod) but before I play I wanted to know what are you people using.

Do you play with mouse and keyboard? Or you use a joystick as well? And if so, which joystick?

I have about £40 to buy one but I was really disappointed with my last one that I ended up not using it for the most part because it felt like a toy... Any suggestions?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:welcome: to Orbiter-Forum!

Many pilots here use joysticks to fly Orbiter. Check out JoyToKey if you want to map joystick buttons to keypresses that Orbiter can read. :thumbup:

As for which joystick, I use a Saitek X52 Pro. (BTW Saitek is now owned by Logictech, so hopefully the quality won't suffer -- I bought mine before Saitek was acquired by Logitech.) One thing to note about the throttle: I didn't like the 'afterburner' detent at 75% throttle, so I removed it. It's not difficult -- this page details how to do it.

Atheran

Reaction score
That's at the 150-200 range isn't it? Bit too much for someone trying to get into sims, I think :)

I was thinking something around 1/3 of that price like Logitech 3d pro precision or Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X depending if joystick is enough or if a hotas will actually be more helpful. But I'd like something sturdy to be honest and I don't have any hands on chances, just blindly buy from amazon

llarian

Reaction score
I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Seems to work OK for my needs.

Cheers.

pionite

Reaction score
I have a Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X that I'm very happy with.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's at the 150-200 range isn't it? Bit too much for someone trying to get into sims, I think :)

I was thinking something around 1/3 of that price like Logitech 3d pro precision or Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X depending if joystick is enough or if a hotas will actually be more helpful. But I'd like something sturdy to be honest and I don't have any hands on chances, just blindly buy from amazon

No personal experience with it, but I've heard nothing but good about the Thrustmaster T-Flight in all flight sim circles. It seems to be the best stick in that price range.

I also use the Saitek/Logitech X52, but not the Pro version (about $50 difference in price). For just casual simming, true that it may be overkill, but if there's any chance at all you're going to get serious about Orbiter and other flight sims (FSX/P3D/FSW, X-Plane, Digital Combat Simulator, etc), it's well worth the money. Mine has held up for almost 10 years and still works perfectly.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. That thing is with me for like 20 years now, and I think it will eventually outlast me.

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
I use this one this one and I am very happy with it. Not too expensive and it feels pretty good.
... and to be honest: When I travel to the moon and back I use it for perhaps 5 minutes - at a total session time of let's say two hours. So... don't spend too much time and afford on this :)

61bLKZPpBzL._SL1181_.jpg

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
I have a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2. That thing is with me for like 20 years now, and I think it will eventually outlast me.

Same for me, minus the force feedback. In fact, I'm proud to say that I managed to upgrade mine to USB when game ports went out of fashion towards the end of the last millenium, and I don't often reach for the soldering iron.

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Same for me, minus the force feedback. In fact, I'm proud to say that I managed to upgrade mine to USB when game ports went out of fashion towards the end of the last millenium, and I don't often reach for the soldering iron.

I'm ashamed to say I benched my Microsoft Sidewinder when the game port went out of fashion. Replaced it with a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. Rock solid and probably about 15 years old.

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

Me too.

I also have several refurbished Logitech Attack 3s that I found on eBay for US$15. No rudder twist but they work well for Orbiter landings. They have held up well under rough use by kids.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I find I only use the stick when flying (manually) in atmo. Other than that it's a paperweight.

If I were building a simpit my thoughts would be otherwise. And I'd probably have to be single. Or risk winding up single ;)