Launching the Space Shuttle

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
To make a long story short, I can fly most any rocket or spaceplane except for the Shuttle. It just seems like I absolutely cannot get into orbit no matter how hard I try.

I'm still working on mastering the Launch MFD, but until then I would appreciate it if someone posted specific pitch for specific altitude.

E.g. hold 70 degrees until 10 km, then drop to 60 until 17 km, etc.

Help would be appreciated. :)

Apollo 11

Reaction score
There is a turorial in the default Tutorial file in Orbiter. This should be what you're looking for.:)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
There are endless threads about this on M6. You'll find very detailed tutorials there.
And, of course, Apollo 11 is right about the default tutorial...

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My basic idea is to keep certain vertical velocity at certain altitude. Not the optimal strategy, but at least it allows me to launch shuttles manualy without memorizing correct altitude for every 10 grads of pitch :)

Try to explain it more clearer:

Slowly pitch down to about 70 grad and then hold that attitude to gain some vertical velocity.

When vertical speed becomes close to 200-300 m/s I starting slow pitch down to keep vertical acceleration about zero or a little bit lower. Try not to drop it below 200 m/s

When craft reaches 30-50 km of altitude I try to lower my vertical accelration a little - the goal is to do it in a way to have Vertical velocity about 100 m/s at altitude of 100km.

When that is achieved, it is matter of keeping Vacc at zero by pitching down as needed. At pitch of 0 degrees i set LVLH autopilot to keep attitude constant and wait till apoapsis reaches 220 km.

And that's it - all that is left is orbit circularization and ISS-chasing :)

Last edited:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There is a turorial in the default Tutorial file in Orbiter. This should be what you're looking for.:)

:blink:

Now I feel like an idiot... I'll take a look in the tutorials folder.

Thanks Xantcha. I'll try to keep your advice in mind when I try to fly again.

Matt Decker

Reaction score
I just keep the Apoapsis slightly in front of the Radius vector and use the Align plane MFD on the other side. This gets it into orbit, but I still can't get it to the station.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I discovered that my orbiter tutorial directory does not have the shuttle tutorial, or three other various tutorials. However, these files are in my C:. :huh: