Leaving school

Dambuster

Reaction score
Well I just left my school, and I already miss it - best years of my life so far, :tiphat: to all my teachers out there! Does anyone have any tips on keeping oneself occupied in the long summer?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Depends on what you want to do but it wouldn't hurt to speak to local volunteering organisations and see what interests you then go do it, it'll look great on a CV/resume as well.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Orbiter, of course...

AirSimming

Reaction score
Well, in my case it was exactly the opposite. The day I left school I felt like a new man. I just left behind the most worst part of my life :lol: But it depends on my attitute, our educational system etc. The second reincarnation I've had was when my alternative service was finished. I can't tell how good it feels to actually be a free person, still 14 years after I left school and 8 years after finishing my alternative service. I never understood how one would like to be young again...

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I never understood how one would like to be young again...

Well you are exceptionally lucky. The youth doesn't have to worry about putting food on the table or a roof over the head.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can go to the beach or develop add-ons for Orbiter if the weather is bad ;)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
why not go to the beach and develop addons? :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I had left school faster than I could think, was maybe good that way. The school year ended after the first July week, and I was already drafted into the German Army on first July. So, I had already been dressed in and going through basic drills, when I got a day off for receiving my grades and attend the school-out ball. Sadly, I did not have much joy on the ball, I had to be back to my barracks on Sunday at 6 AM already.

I caught up with my missed post-school days after leaving the army, and that after having been soldier and combined with the ":censored: off Army, you can't order me back again" celebrations on first May... It has to be said that first May is traditionally a huge party day in my region of Germany, and things amplified each other... so, at midnight, you heard a huge group of drunken happy people loudly shouting "Abgänger" (people leaving something, there is no proper word in English for that).

The only thing that was missing on that day was adequate fireworks at midnight.

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i can`t really put my finger on how i felt leaving school.... maybe because it didn`t happe all at once, like it does for most ppl... instead, i somehow "phased out" of it gradually as i flunked some undefined grade of highschool :rofl:

but then again... i did also get expelled from pre-school, so i guess im no role model, right?

i`m not particularly proud of it either... but i guess in the end my misadventures didn`t do much harm, once i got into college i really came around and was usually at the top of my class...

but come to think of it, no-one really knew what ADD was back then... so they just labeled you "bad kid" and went with it

ADD aside, i found it does make a shipload of difference when you actually care for what`s being thaught...
my newly acquired math skills are living proof... i flunked math 3 times (i think) during school, but once i started programming and had an use for it, it all became quite interesting and fun to learn about :hmm:

go figure:thumbup:

Last edited:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I just finished my last year of compulsory school too, and am going back for two more years in September for A-levels. I'm mainly lazing around, looking forward to going to Turkey, and helping at home to knock down a garage and later build an extension. I'm also going out with the telescope during the night and day when I can, and having the occasional flying lesson. I agree with Gary - if there is something good for your references, do it (a bit weird coming from me as I haven't done any volunteering myself, but there you go), although this weekend I am doing a practice expedition/camp for my silver Duke of Edinburgh's award with Air Cadets. Personally, I'd also love to find some opportunities this summer to go and expand my astronomy hobby - maybe join an astro-club or undertake some kind of project to keep me occupied. Any ideas?

Thanks.

AirSimming

Reaction score
Well you are exceptionally lucky. The youth doesn't have to worry about putting food on the table or a roof over the head.

And so the youth is forced to do what their providers want them to do. What I always loved about legal age and leaving school is that now I'm my own master of my free time and I can take my own decisions without asking my parents from morning to night. If I date, no matter with whom and how long, I just do it and I don't have to justify anything. I don't have to go to bed early, even if I have to go to work next day. And in case I want to eat just some nice sweets at lunch time, I can just do that without being in parental trouble :lol: If I decide not to eat the bread crust, I don't have to justify anything. I don't have to discuss and just swallow any insane educational method anymore. This does not at all mean that I was a bad child. Quite the opposite. Maybe I was too submissive unlike many others...

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And so the youth is forced to do what their providers want them to do. What I always loved about legal age and leaving school is that now I'm my own master of my free time and I can take my own decisions without asking my parents from morning to night. If I date, no matter with whom and how long, I just do it and I don't have to justify anything. I don't have to go to bed early, even if I have to go to work next day. And in case I want to eat just some nice sweets at lunch time, I can just do that without being in parental trouble :lol: If I decide not to eat the bread crust, I don't have to justify anything. I don't have to discuss and just swallow any sane educational method anymore. This does not at all mean that I was a bad child. Quite the opposite. Maybe I was too submissive unlike many others...

my thoughts exactly!:thumbup:

not that i was ever an obedient child per se... but not having to heed to whatever whim your parents decide would be "best for you" beats having to work and earn money any day :cheers:

and best of all, a carrer is something you choose, an education is something you GET :lol:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And so the youth is forced to do what their providers want them to do. What I always loved about legal age and leaving school is that now I'm my own master of my free time and I can take my own decisions without asking my parents from morning to night. If I date, no matter with whom and how long, I just do it and I don't have to justify anything. I don't have to go to bed early, even if I have to go to work next day. And in case I want to eat just some nice sweets at lunch time, I can just do that without being in parental trouble :lol: If I decide not to eat the bread crust, I don't have to justify anything. I don't have to discuss and just swallow any insane educational method anymore. This does not at all mean that I was a bad child. Quite the opposite. Maybe I was too submissive unlike many others...

Although I understand what computerex said, I get this side of the argument too. I think I'm going to enjoy staying up late the most, and not having to worry about sleeping during the day (prividing there is no work to do)!

Also, now that you don't have any schoolwork to worry about, it is worth pursuing a hobby to a larger extent, an really getting 'into' something you like if you have the time.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have excellent, trusting parents. As long as I am doing well in school, I have free reign. They trust me not to make stupid decisions. So basically, the responsibility of food/shelter lies with them (right now anyway) while I only have to worry about school. I think that is a good deal, because worrying about a test is not as harsh as worrying about where you are going to pay your bills. I am going to get to that stage of my life if I am lucky eventually, but for right now I am comfortable. :tiphat:

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have excellent, trusting parents. As long as I am doing well in school, I have free reign. They trust me not to make stupid decisions. So basically, the responsibility of food/shelter lies with them (right now anyway) while I only have to worry about school. I think that is a good deal, because worrying about a test is not as harsh as worrying about where you are going to pay your bills. I am going to get to that stage of my life if I am lucky eventually, but for right now I am comfortable. :tiphat:

That's the same as me - doing well in school is the best reward for a parent's hard work, so I get a similar deal.

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I picked up kite flying as a kind of-sort of hobby for the spring/summer/fall. It's actually quite fun to take a bunch of random kites down to the beach or anywhere there's a steady wind and fly them for hours on end. VERY relaxing.

Reccomendation: Dual line and quad line stunt kites are a blast.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
growing up is like moving from Flash to C++... :rolleyes:

you have do work harder to get things right, but you can do whatever the hell you want:rofl:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was utterly ecstatic every summer when school was out. And even more ecstatic when high school was over forever and I didn't have to ship off to college right away.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I think Alice Cooper pretty much summed it up:

No more pencils
No more books
No more teacher's dirty looks

Well we got no class
And we got no principles (principals)
And we got no innocence
We can't even think of a word that rhymes

School's out for summer
School's out forever
My school's been blown to pieces

'Nuff said. :) BTW the Muppets' version is awesome.