LHC Activation imminent

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
LHC News [Update: 13TeV!]

LHC is to be switched on Wednesday, September 10. Get your tinfoil hats ready for the apocalypse. :)
I'm not completely sure if they are crossing beams or anything on the 10th. They may just be turning on beams but causing no collisions. Either way, it is the date for 'LHC Activation'.
Luckily, these guys are pretty confident that nothing bad could possibly happen:
It's just hillarious that people who do no research and just listen to other panicked interweb folks get scared by the LHC and go as far as trying to stop the activation. :lol:

Last edited:

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's been activated for a month or so, this is just the first time they send a beam around the main ring. No collissions for a while yet though, proposed first hit is late october - but that might be shifted forward depending on how it looks in testing.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It's been activated for a month or so, this is just the first time they send a beam around the main ring. No collissions for a while yet though, proposed first hit is late october - but that might be shifted forward depending on how it looks in testing.
Ah, thank you for your all-knowing knowledge. :speakcool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I wish we could have a CERN surface base in Orbiter.

And even more crazy: Anybody from Switzerland or France around to drive to Geneva this Wednesday? I have a challenge for you: Take a spade and dig a small black hole in Geneva. Make a photo or youtube it: "Small black hole observed in Geneva"

Simonpro: Actually, there was not much activated yet, except the cooling systems for bringing the magnets to 1.9K. AFAIK, the magnets will be activated on Wednesday the first time and slowly ramped up to the power for keeping 450 GeV protons on course.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Simonpro: Actually, there was not much activated yet, except the cooling systems for bringing the magnets to 1.9K. AFAIK, the magnets will be activated on Wednesday the first time and slowly ramped up to the power for keeping 450 GeV protons on course.

True, I was referring to the whole LHC system though, all the other rings apart from the main ring have had particles flying around already.As you say, the energy of the main ring is much much higher though, and where all the cool stuff will be.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
And even more crazy: Anybody from Switzerland or France around to drive to Geneva this Wednesday? I have a challenge for you: Take a spade and dig a small black hole in Geneva. Make a photo or youtube it: "Small black hole observed in Geneva"

omg, do it do it :rofl:

Do that and the interwebs will spontaneously combust from all the idiots raging and all the theoretical physicist raging back at them for being dumb.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
True, I was referring to the whole LHC system though, all the other rings apart from the main ring have had particles flying around already.As you say, the energy of the main ring is much much higher though, and where all the cool stuff will be.

Yeah. The initial accelerator loop, called SPS, which injects the particles into the new 27 km ring is actually a updated relict of the particle accelerator which was installed into the 27 km tunnel until 2000... the LEP. It is already tested, but the connections to the LHC loop will be used for a first time in the next month, from Wednesday on.

They still use the old SPS, because they still did research with the SPS loop while the LHC was constructed.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Better yet...

omg, do it do it :rofl:

Do that and the interwebs will spontaneously combust from all the idiots raging and all the theoretical physicist raging back at them for being dumb.

Start spreading rumors that the series 'Lost' is based on a true story.

From a post on Geeknews back in April...

Lost Producers Give a Few Hints To Popular Mechanics

They're going to rip a hole in the space-time continuum. We're all doomed.

http://www.geeknews.net/2008/04/28/lost-producers-give-a-few-hints-to-popular-mechanics

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fools! You don't have to worry about apocalypse until the Mayan cause an asteroid to collide with us on December 21 2112. Until then, don't worry... I can only handle one apocalpyse at a time.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
I know what's going to happen..... GET YOUR TIN FOIL HATS READY!

The first time the beams are to be collided are proposed as of now late October. From what a German "scientist" said, if something goes wrong we could all be dead in 50 months. What's 50 months from this October?

December 2012.

Think about it....

And if you take coincidences seriously... go into a hole.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I wish we could have a CERN surface base in Orbiter.

I'll be there next month around the time they *should* be colliding the first beams. I really hope my flight doesn't get sucked into a parallel universe! :rofl:

Reaction score
People at Cern recieved deadthreaths for turning on the LHC, apart from this being very concerning and downright wrong and criminal.

"The deathray will kill us all, so don't turn it on or we will kill you!"

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
People at Cern recieved deadthreaths for turning on the LHC, apart from this being very concerning and downright wrong and criminal.

Someone really needs to give these people a good education. :dry: (or at least a lighter sense of humor)

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score

But it IS gonna kill us! *RUN FOR YOUR :censored: LIVES!!!...

*Running is futile. The great Cthulhu will consume all. Do not be alarmed when he awakens on Wednesday. ;)

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Like I said before: If it kills me, then I will be too dead to care.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
Argh, these darn smart types, don't they ever learn? I mean, come on, you would think that someone would remember Black Mesa...

According to a friend of a friend who listens to the radio, the press seem to think that the black hole they are supposedly going to create has a 10% chance of killing us all (ie, pulling the earth into it's awesomeness). Pth, the media know nothing, eh? Either that, or one of my friends lost some part of the message along the way, Chinese whispers style.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
According to a friend of a friend who listens to the radio, the press seem to think that the black hole they are supposedly going to create has a 10% chance of killing us all (ie, pulling the earth into it's awesomeness). Pth, the media know nothing, eh? Either that, or one of my friends lost some part of the message along the way, Chinese whispers style.

Probably both