LHC Activation imminent

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Dude .. apparently creating of black holes with end of the world is much more interesting than the Higg's Boson being found, solving one of the biggest questions in physics.

EDIT : I never cease to become saddened by the ignorance of the people in my own country. :(

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
Dude .. apparently creating of black holes with end of the world is much more interesting than the Higg's Boson being found, solving one of the biggest questions in physics.

EDIT : I never cease to become saddened by the ignorance of the people in my own country. :(

Welcome to America.... in a way. LOL

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Black holes are created when something as massive as a star bigger then our sun collapses on itself. Only such huge mass can create a force large enough to sustain a black hole.

As far as I know, any mass can form a black hole if it is compressed beneath its Schwartzschild radius. But you'll probably have trouble noticing it without proper instrument... :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
LHC NEWS - JUNE 3, 2015 - LHC experiments back in business at record energy

As the LHC has today reached stable beam (collision) energies of 13 TeV, roughly double its previous operating energy, let me revive this old thread...and my original statement from seven years ago:

It's just hillarious that people who do no research and just listen to other panicked interweb folks get scared by the LHC and go as far as trying to stop the activation. :lol:

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"Sorry, our evil plan to destroy the world the first time around failed miserably. We now doubled the output of our doomsday device and are trying again, thank you for your patience!"

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
"Sorry, our evil plan to destroy the world the first time around failed miserably. We now doubled the output of our doomsday device and are trying again, thank you for your patience!"
Reminds me of a Get Fuzzy moment...
Bucky Katt said:
World domination has encountered technical difficulties. Talk amongst yourselves...

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Well, "they" already found the Higgs Boson (or however you want to interpret that) and won a Nobel prize.

I can imagine CERN scientists sitting around a very quiet office..."hmm. Now what?" :lol:

Anyway, I am sure that there is plenty to do for those that know what they are doing and I wish CERN well. :salute:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"What if we test what happens if we accelerate cakes to almost the speed of light?"

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"What if we test what happens if we accelerate cakes to almost the speed of light?"
Depending on the point of view, I would say.
A sqeezed very heavy cake, for exmaple ;)
It will totally ruin your diet plans...
By the way how many calories would a cupcake ("rest energy" approx. 200 cal.) have then, if accelerated to lets say 0.7c ?

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Well, "they" already found the Higgs Boson (or however you want to interpret that) and won a Nobel prize.

I can imagine CERN scientists sitting around a very quiet office..."hmm. Now what?" :lol:

Anyway, I am sure that there is plenty to do for those that know what they are doing and I wish CERN well. :salute:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Regarding the (9-sigma) discovery of pentaquarks:

Last edited: