Looks Familiar?

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I direct your attention to this article (http://space.newscientist.com/artic...engineers-design-alternative-nasa-rocket.htmlhttp://space.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn14364/dn14364-1_640.jpg) regarding the Ares alternative launch system, Jupiter. The picture NS have used sure looks a LOT like Orbiter, does it not? The caption states that the illustration is from Directlauncher.com, however.

dn14364-1_640.jpg

PS. I can't work out how to make a hyper link any more. The dialog only gives the option of entering the URL, and not the text that makes up the link.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Lemme see... particles look very similar to Orbiter.
Mesh has a problem of normals (sharp lighting edge in the hull), as if it was made in Anim8tor, very unprofessional.
Mesh is low poly, detailed with textures, unlike professional renders.
Clouds look just like orbiter.

It looks like atmosphere was retouched a bit.

Orbiter allows to make great arts.
Just see this
http://www.freewebs.com/earth-oddyssey/Index2.htm

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
pete.dakota, your link is to a picture... not an article. ;) Can you please fix this? :) Also, to setup a hyperlink I believe you just type the text you want displayed, select it(highlight), and then click the hyperlink button and fill in the URL. ;)
EDIT: I found the article.(it's still front page)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The article sources it to directlauncher.com.

If you go there, they have that photo and others on their "media" page. At first I didn't think it was Orbiter, because although the launcher looks like it was done in Orbiter, and the moon *really* looks like it does in Orbiter, the Earth doesn't, and their shots of the Cape from above didn't look quite right to me.

But then, I found where it says "Here is DIRECT's Orbiter Simulation development photo set (flickr)," and, having followed that link, found this:

"Pictures about NASA Direct SDLV work (and related addons) for the free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator www.orbitersim.com".

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is Orbiter! The meshes was made by none other than our own SimCosmos!

An early version of the DIRECT LV can be downloaded here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2720"]NASA DIRECT SDLV v0.1[/ame]

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
"Pictures about NASA Direct SDLV work (and related addons) for the free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator www.orbitersim.com".
Well at least a few layers down they gave credit. :lol:
But really, an artist doesn't normally get direct credit for a picture in a news article anyways right? It's the company or group they work for/with that gets the credit.

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry about the bad link, guys.

ar81, the atmosphere to me looks like missioncmdr's enhancement mod. Quite different from the stock parameters.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Well at least a few layers down they gave credit. :lol:
But really, and artist doesn't normally get direct credit for a picture in a news article anyways right? It's the company or group they work for/with that gets the credit.

Actually, I even missed the fastest way to tell that it's from Orbiter: the media section has three subsections, "images," which is the path I took, "video," and "orbiter." If I'd noticed "orbiter" I would have figured it out a lot sooner.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
PS. I can't work out how to make a hyper link any more. The dialog only gives the option of entering the URL, and not the text that makes up the link.

This should make it clear to everyone. As a feature the description is selected once you enter the URL, so you can just hit enter in the URL box and type away your title.

Code:
[ URL="http://www.heise.de"]Heise[ /URL]

P.S.: Had to insert two spaces to prevent it from parsing the command. code is not what it used to be...

joeybigO

can't get in a word edgewise
Donator
Reaction score
this image is based ( I think) on this picturethis

i'm pretty sure the image is based on that photo, that was one of the last photo's on the STS-107

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
Hi all,

Answering / clarifying previous posts:

Ar81's comment:
"Mesh has a problem of normals (sharp lighting edge in the hull), as if it was made in Anim8tor, very unprofessional."

Well, I do not pretend being a 3D guru however, in this case, I believe you are making (?) a reference to a hard line that is seen at the separation of the payload fairing halves (the hard line is not the result of problems with normals, although that might also happen in some of the models I do, mostly depending of their development status vs design iterations). And yes, I make all in Anim8or but... making models in that nice 3D editor does not automatically mean that hard lines will be generated (there are ways of keeping things under control as mentioned in one of my past posts in this forum).

Ar81's comment:
"Mesh is low poly, detailed with textures, unlike professional renders."

Once more, I agree that am not a professional... It is truth however that do have some care in transferring specific details to textures and doing other tricks, although the models that have released until now aren’t fully optimised as they can really be, in eventual more stable future releases, if having the patience to do such full optimisation work versus constraints of several nature.

This to note that the way I make 3D models is intentional because wish to use the exact same models both for renderings (papers, presentations, etc) as well to share them with orbinauts and do all that while keeping an eye at the time of renderings, scene construction requirements, several computer specs, upload / download times (size of packages, etc).

I could do something with extra faces or with 3D details but using textures has several other advantages and, because of that, prefer then to use a kind of balanced mix. Not exactly sure if this can be classified of a professional approach or not (depending of each one's classification constraints)… I guess it depends also of the planned objectives the 3D models are made for…

Linguofreak / DaveS: thanks to both, you have saved me time with some of the information on your posts ;) The forum signature also contains links to my addons page (there is a Direct SDLV entry there), flickr, LivePics.

About the atmosphere effect: it is my own work (it is NOT Atmospheric Enhancement by EndeavourCmdr) and is distributed, until the moment, with the (older / outdated, needing a patch) DEV AresI + KSC special edition zip that have made many months ago for Mars For Less addon as well within the also outdated NASA DIRECT SDLV v0.1 addon. Extra details in DIRECT addon documentation (also in a past post at Dansteph’s forum: http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=1&i=14655&t=14570#reply_14655 ). Preview pictures were shared in past flickr entries such as:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simcosmos/171182355/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/simcosmos/171182354/

To end, the usual disclaimer (before someone asks and running the risk of repeating myself, from other posts): I'm aware that sometimes enter (each time more often) in long 'away / radio silent' periods but there are quite a few of other things going on in my life which aren't always compatible with releasing Orbiter addons (minor example: very busy with Science / Astronomy / Astronautics Divulgation Activities for 7 to 12 years old kids these days). Do have lots of what like to call ‘Orbiter toys’ in the hard drive which run OK but that would need extra boring final steps to be shared. Unless making Orbiter addons was something closer to a profession (which it isn't) this means that until releasing new 'toys' people will please have to be patient for undefined amounts of time (months to *cough* sometimes *cough* years!) until I release something that updates previous / outdated work (yes, sometimes with not so good physics or visual aspects , etc) that is meanwhile kept online and that is shared accordingly with several constraints. Thanks.

António

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I must clarify that if the picture was made by a professional 3D artist it was very unprofessional, because a professional 3D artist adds detail using polygons, while in gaming it is the opposite, for you need low polygon meshes. So if the image is from Orbiter, it is a very well (and professionally) made addon, but if it is just a render it is very unprofessional.

So what I meant was "professional" as a certain level of detail in the mesh for commercial arts, not for gaming or simulation. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I wrote the reply in a rush, and I forgot that not all people here have worked in the arts industry.
Look at this. This is a professionally made 3D render and you will understand what I mean with detailed mesh. Notice that I am not the author of that pic. I do not consider myself as "professional" in 3D arts.

abalakin_alexander_preuss.jpg