O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Hi,

Any tips/formula on working out the best lunar launch windows? Most of the time I seem to end up crashing back to Earth because of the moons retrograde motion.

Thanks.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Any day :p

Watch the Tutorial Playback that comes with Orbiter and you'll see how it's done.

Not quite.

Whilst you technically have two launch windows a day there are times when some windows are better than others. Try a lunar transfer with an ion engine to see what I mean about the lunar retrogade problem.

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
Crashing into Earth

You actually manage to get back to Earth? How do you do it, I always fly out of the Earth/Moon System watching the green planet getting smaller in the window :dry:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You actually manage to get back to Earth? How do you do it, I always fly out of the Earth/Moon System watching the green planet getting smaller in the window :dry:

Then you are clearly not trying to save fuel or perform a hohman transfer. Or... you are really bad at it ;)

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Ya any old time at all is fine. Day or night, any day. One of the staple runs I make is to fire up a scenario that is absent the MJD data (the line reads "Date MJD ;") which causes it to default to the current date and time. This way it makes for a nice variety. The goal is to spend a minute or so with MAP picking the best heading and off I go for a trip to the moon. Though offplane, it is not without plan.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Ya any old time at all is fine. Day or night, any day. One of the staple runs I make is to fire up a scenario that is absent the MJD data (the line reads "Date MJD ;")
You can just remove the line entirely from the scenario to get the same effect. I have a few 'realtime' scenarios that I use for when I just fancy a fly about in the XR2. It's nice when you load up orbiter and it matches the sky outside your window.