Project Lunar Module "Spider" (Updated 11/01/2012)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've cleaned up "clbkLoadVC" and added switch functionality and animations to panels 12 and 14. If you've downloaded version 2+ of the beta you can grab and compile the code from my repository linked on the front page.

I'm also nearing the point where I'm looking to split this project into two threads.

The first will be the "Spider Lunar Lander" and essentially what you see here. Spider will have no requirements beyond Orbiter 2010 and recieve only minor updates post split.

The second thread is tentatively titled "UMMU_Apollo" (I'm taking suggestions, if anyone has better ideas for a name) and will included not only a UMMU/UCCGO compatable version of Spider but also the development of a UMMU compatable CSM (codename "Gumdrop" ;)) to go with it.

The objective of UMMU_Apollo will be to produce a combined CSM, SLA, LEM stack that can be placed atop the launcher of your choice. Stock included launch scenarios will use Velcro rockets in the interim but eventually I hope to produce the entire Saturn family of boosters (both historical and proposed) as a seperate package.

Finally I want to get the user's take on something...

I've been thinking about reconfiguring Panel 1, returning it to it's historical ADI + X-pointer configuration. The MFD would inturn be relocated to Panel 4 taking the place of the DSKY.

The launch and landing autopilots along with other DSKY functions currently integrated into the vessel module itself would be deleted and implimented as part of a "UMMU_AGC" (UMMU_Apollo Guidance Computer) MFD mode instead.

It all sounds interesting, but Im not sure we really need a third Apollo addon. Maybe it could be made to be more of a "Current Tech" lander, future updates being more touch screen & digital interface as opposed to the analogue & switches look, although I like how it looks right now a lot.

I was thinking though, what would really be nice is if you could create a stripped down, descent stage only version with payload management so that users can land whatever payload they need in a realistic way. Very nice work though :thumbup:!

romanasul

Reaction score
That's a good idea, there aren't many lunar landers out there, expecially with UMMU and and UCGO compatibility. It would be nice to create a lunar mission where you're tasked with starting construction of a small lunar outpost.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree with you Bruce. What Spider will be (and Gumdrop too) is a 'functional' lunar transport system. Functional in that it will take UMMUs and cargo to the lunar suface. UMMUs can't hitch a ride on a AMSO or NASSP ship, and neither are built to move cargo. Hlynkacg's addons will, and in a cool retro getup that is much more visually pleasing than full color displays and touch screens everywhere.

Digital green displays and chunky knobs, and wee switches hiding between guards for me. You sir, can have the comical outcome of having a touch screen display on your toaster, while I shall choose to reside in an imaginary world where it takes a real man and analog controls to do heroic feats.

Good day.:tiphat:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I must respectfully disagree with you Bruce. What Spider will be (and Gumdrop too) is a 'functional' lunar transport system. Functional in that it will take UMMUs and cargo to the lunar suface. UMMUs can't hitch a ride on a AMSO or NASSP ship, and neither are built to move cargo. Hlynkacg's addons will, and in a cool retro getup that is much more visually pleasing than full color displays and touch screens everywhere.

Digital green displays and chunky knobs, and wee switches hiding between guards for me. You sir, can have the comical outcome of having a touch screen display on your toaster, while I shall choose to reside in an imaginary world where it takes a real man and analog controls to do heroic feats.

I see your point, and no I dont need touch screens on my toaster. If I did it might need to run on windows :lol:.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
By the way, I like the idea of replacing the DSKY with an MFD display with an Apollo Flight Computer mode. You could simulate keyboard inputs with that just fine while still preserving realism and accessibility all at once.

Well, I went a head and did it. also used the opportunity to clean up the Panel geometry. It's much cleaner and has fewer vertices but now I have to go back and tweak the textures and materials again.

picture.php

I was thinking though, what would really be nice is if you could create a stripped down, descent stage only version with payload management so that users can land whatever payload they need in a realistic way.

picture.php

picture.php

:thumbup:

Much my feelings on the matter, thank you for the kind words. :tiphat:

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I went a head and did it. also used the opportunity to clean up the Panel geometry. It's much cleaner and has fewer vertices but now I have to go back and tweak the textures and materials again.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:thumbup:

Much my feelings on the matter, thank you for the kind words. :tiphat:

Err, not what I was thinking, I mean just the descent stage, equipped with UCD or something similar, so users can land any payload they want. That being said, those look nice, although the hab one looks like a mutated fish :lol:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Minor update:

Added parsing of vessel config file allowing thrust and DV to be adjusted by end user.

Placeholders for the CMD and LMP Ground-speed/Slip indicators have been added as well as a 2nd ADI for the commander's position. MFD has been relocated to panel 4. At the moment the two ADIs are slaved to each other but support for independant operation is in work.

Sound and Switching control logic has also been improved/debugged.

Download latest files here:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5846"]Spider Lunar Lander *Beta v2.3*[/ame]

picture.php

Last edited:

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I seem to have the invisible mesh syndrome. When I load the scenarios, I can't see anything.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Hmm...

This is usually a config file issue. (broken link causing the .dll not to load properly)

Can you make control inputs? Are thrusters firing and the like?

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

I suspect that the problem might be that the older file version of a config or .dll file did not get overwritten.

I just emptied out my working directory and repacked everything so try it now.

If the problem persists I'll need to start investigating possible conflicts with other addons.

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Still invisible and I don't seem to have any control. I DO run a lot of addons though, so I may not be the best tester.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I apologize for the slow pace of updates but school-work and a growing Mechwarrior addiction have cut into my programming time.

I've solved the various issues I was having with multiple independant class instances and the ADIs can now be controlled individually.

picture.php

I've done my best to divorce my "ADIBall class" from the Spider Vessel class so in theory it shold be possible to one of my ADIs to any vessel's VC with only a bit of copy/pasta. I will post my templates along a user's guide as soon as I get around to it.

Next item on the to-do is to overhaul the attitude control program/autopilots, after that I'll get the X-pointers working and ready to declare Spider's Phase-1 developement complete and shift my focus towards "Gumdrop" and "UMMU_Apollo".

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Err, not what I was thinking, I mean just the descent stage, equipped with UCD or something similar, so users can land any payload they want. That being said, those look nice, although the hab one looks like a mutated fish :lol:

This is something I'd like to see as well. It would be awesome to have a resupply capability for a lunar base using a descent stage and UCGO Cargos.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
This is something I'd like to see as well. It would be awesome to have a resupply capability for a lunar base using a descent stage and UCGO Cargos.

Well as I've posted above, I'm already planning to include an unmanned cargo-lander in the final release capable of carrying up to 6 UCCGO cargos or 6000kg.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Update

Just a quick progress update...

I've deleted the launch and landing Autopilots, they've just been more trouble than they were worth. I'm working on achieving a similar (but more generalized) functionality via MFD.

Till then I reccomend using the "Hover" or "Pursuit" MFDs on orbit hangar.

The ADIs are done and all that's left is the UI (adding switches to the VC and labeling them). Next priority is enviromental modeling. Cabin O2/Consumables modeling and thermal control. I'm also working on replacing the current thruster controls with a full on Fly-by-Wire system. After that the only major subsytems remaining will be electrical and Comms.

I'll be needing some serious beta testers in the near future to help me debug the FBW and help build up documentation. I've tried to keep careful notes but I also know there's a lot of stuff that I've missed/forgotten.

I'm also looking for anyone who might be able to provide some detailed images or models of the LEM interior as I'd like to replace the current flat-black cylinder of the VC with something more detailed before taking the "Beta" out of the title.

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Another quick update

Cabin Atmospheric model is up and working. I need to tweak the saturation rate of the LiHO canisters (I suspect that the data I found was for the CSM's scrubbers rather than the LEM's) but other than that my runtime-calculated parameters are matching the historical curves.

:woohoo:

Also expect vessel destruction, both burn-up and impact crater, to be in the next patch.

Now to work on electrical and thermal control.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
One small feature request: can you add the "launch configuration" of the LEM sometime down the road? I'm thinking of utilizing the Spider for lunar sortie missions of my virtual space transportation company sometime down the road, with other spacecraft as the CSM. Thanks! :tiphat:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
One small feature request: can you add the "launch configuration" of the LEM sometime down the road? I'm thinking of utilizing the Spider for lunar sortie missions of my virtual space transportation company sometime down the road, with other spacecraft as the CSM. Thanks! :tiphat:

The "launch configuration" code is already present in the module but you have to manually alter the vessel's configuration and switch positions in the scenario file to get at it.

I do have plans for a more user friendly method and will bump it up on the priority list a bit.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Question...

How much interestis there in the the "Stand Alone" version of Spider?

Should I impliment UMMU support as is and start on the CSM or should I continue to slog it out.

I ask because I am about to start a major overhaul/clean-up of the source code and if I'm going to add/remove libraries and dependancies now's the time to do it.

Last edited: