Orbinaut/Addon dev/Donator
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Mr Martian submitted a new addon:

Mars and Moons Map for MFD - Updated mars contour map for Map MFD

This is a simple addon which replaces Orbiter's default map for Mars used by the Map MFD with a more accurate one, and adds maps for both Phobos and Deimos.

Currently only Earth, Mars, Venus, and the Moon have maps for Map MFD. If people like this addon and want more MFD maps for other planets and moons, let me know in the comments.

Thank you all,
MrMartian

Read more about this addon...

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Excellent addon!
Previously I had troubles to identify the Valles Marineris or the Tharsis volcanos on the map.
Now I can fly to the most scenic spots using the map.
Also, no negative impact on the frame rate.

How did you do it? Did you use a finer height elevation resolution, or did you create the shapes manually?

Wishes: All planetary bodies :)
Short list: Earths' Moon, and Jupiters' Gallilean moons.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thanks for the addon.
Also, no negative impact on the frame rate.
It's interesting, because I'm just noticing a quite significant drop in frame rate even up to 40 FPS, especially when two Map MFDs are opened. My video card in GTX 1650Ti 4 Gb (V-Sync is enabled in game). Orbiter shows stable 60 FPS when the MFD Map isn't shown.

Maybe some simpler versions of these maps with less data could be made.
How did you do it? Did you use a finer height elevation resolution, or did you create the shapes manually?
I would like to know it too. Namely, how to make own such maps.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
On the framerate: I run a notebook with an AMD Ryzen 7 with onboard Radeon Graphics.
Framerate (Vsync off) is 170 to 200 fps.

Looks like I have to be more precise on the framerate:
When the MFD is zoomed in by 2 notches: No drop..
When fully zoomed out to the whole planet map, there is indeed a framerate drop of ~40 fps compared to the MFD switched off.
As this value is still higher than the Vsync rate, I experience no negative effects.

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
It's interesting, because I'm just noticing a quite significant drop in frame rate
Interesting feedback about the frame rate drop. Do you get the same drop with Earth’s map? From memory the vertex-count should be similar. Not an issue to make lower-count versions though.

Regarding how I made it, I made it by manually drawing the shapes over a reference height map in a tool I have developed for this purpose. These maps were the product of my debugging the program, and I intend to release it shortly.

For this map, the actual elevation between the contour lines varies with each elevation, these variations are arbitrary, I just chose them as they produced the most ‘recognisable’ Mars map.

Gondos

Reaction score
The vectormap is notoriously slow, probably because it's still using the old HDC API.
This is the kind of stuff that could be put directly in Orbiter IMHO, did you consider doing a PR for this ?

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
"Pull Request" for the next Orbiter release, would be great if someone could do that

Very nice maps by the way, please make more :)

Also works well with Extended Map MFD (map2mfd) with better framerates

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
"Pull Request" for the next Orbiter release, would be great if someone could do that

Very nice maps by the way, please make more :)

Also works well with Extended Map MFD (map2mfd) with better framerates
Happy to raise it in the Orbiter development thread. I think the vector map format is good as it allows for customised maps (especially useful for custom planets). Best obviously if there’s a way to draw with a better method than HDC.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
When the MFD is zoomed in by 2 notches: No drop..
When fully zoomed out to the whole planet map, there is indeed a framerate drop of ~40 fps compared to the MFD switched off.
Yes, the frame rate drops for me only when fully zoomed out.
Do you get the same drop with Earth’s map? From memory the vertex-count should be similar.
Yes, with the Earth map too. It seems to be definitely due to the vertex count.
Regarding how I made it, I made it by manually drawing the shapes over a reference height map in a tool I have developed for this purpose. These maps were the product of my debugging the program, and I intend to release it shortly.
I think such tool will be very useful. Maybe you could also realize some functions for editing existing maps like reducing the number of vertices by two/four times, and deleting some selected areas from the map.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you Boxx, just wondering, what do you mean by the license, are you referring to this addon?

I mean for instance "MIT license" (like Orbiter 2016) so we can re-use it further. I would also be able & happy to include it in OMX as a baseline addition. If you integrate this in Orbiter development, it must be MIT (I guess).

Mr Martian

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I mean for instance "MIT license" (like Orbiter 2016) so we can re-use it further. I would also be able & happy to include it in OMX as a baseline addition. If you integrate this in Orbiter development, it must be MIT (I guess).
Yes absolutely. I’m unfamiliar with license declaration though, would all I need to do be to specify somewhere in the add on post/readme that it is MIT license? I would expect that this and any further maps I make would be under such license, and would be very happy to see them included in future Orbiter development:)

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's great!
In the "Edit addon" page of your Addon (top-right menu in the "..."), you've got a text field: "Software License", just before "Supported Orbiter Version". I think it is enough. (if you've got a readme file, just repeat it there, then it's attached with the Addon. But if not, just forget, Software License field is enough)