Addon Developer
Reaction score

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
That's an interesting concept! I hope this lander will built in reality and fly to Titan.
The rotorcraft dropping out of the aeroshell and landing autonomously is an absolute stunning sight!

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just saw some discussion on NSF that they might use an expendable FalconHeavy+Star48 to go direct to Titan, launching July 2028 - ZOOM! Must give it a try.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just had a try at going direct to Saturn on the FalconHeavy - turns out you can do it with the FalconHeavy fully recoverable + Star48BV, launch date 02 July 2028, using IMFD for planning. 655kg propellant left in the Falcon upper stage.
Maybe my guess of 1600kg all-up mass for TitanDragonfly launch is on the light side? I based it off numbers I could find for MSL capsule, etc.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
This is the planned flight path of Dragonfly as of 2023 (launch date is outdated of course, but overall nothing significant has changed)
images.jpeg
A single Earth gravity assist flyby is enough for the spacecraft to fly directly to Titan (iirc it won't enter orbit around Saturn first)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is the planned flight path of Dragonfly as of 2023 (launch date is outdated of course, but overall nothing significant has changed)
If so, they can go with an expendable Falcon9+Star48. I see the post on NSF estimates launch mass to be 100kg less than mine, so maybe I'm not too far off on my guess. I must see how it fares on a Vulcan or AtlasV, also.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice. you should do the same for the mars copter.
I made a mesh and rover. But flying it is a pain.

I did notice a typo. rororcraft versus rotorcraft
The Titan Dragonfly lander is an eight engine rororcraft.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you run it in default graphics.

I was able to get it to take off and fly. Not sure about the landing skids though

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Vulcan Centaur (and possibly New Glenn) would be Dragonfly's only alternative launch vehicle

The company Impulse Space has announced to develop the Helios kick-stage. This will be a pretty powerful Methane / LOX stage, designed to lift heavy satellites to geostationary orbit and beyond.

I combined it with a VulcanCentaur VC6L and could push the Dragonfly to an orbital velocity of 14 km/s!
Not bad, but still needs a gravity assist to reach Saturn.

B.t.w. I triggered the reentry flames during ascent. They only extinguished after stage separation. :unsure:

0573.jpg
0566.jpg

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The company Impulse Space has announced to develop the Helios kick-stage. This will be a pretty powerful Methane / LOX stage, designed to lift heavy satellites to geostationary orbit and beyond.

I combined it with a VulcanCentaur VC6L and could push the Dragonfly to an orbital velocity of 14 km/s!
Not bad, but still needs a gravity assist to reach Saturn.

B.t.w. I triggered the reentry flames during ascent. They only extinguished after stage separation. :unsure:
Ah! Very nice. I was wondering how the VC6L would perform.
I did give it one try but was distracted by the same bug you mention - reentry particle stream during ascent.
The custom reentry stream should only be activated once the EDL_Capsule is jettisoned(for this very reason), so not sure what is happening there.
Cheers,
Brian