New Release Crew Dragon 2022

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmmm.
After further testing I find I'm getting occasional bugs related to docking on both egress and ingress (changes to Dragon velocity or attitude).
So I think I shall have to abandon using docking altogether! Shame, it made life easier.
Never mind, I can see how to fix it :)

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Is it just me? I can only EVA from the Cupola Dragon.
When I try to EVA from the 'normal' Dragon, nothing happens when pressing the [E] key.
___
I wonder if rcs should be seen?
I think cold gas thruster will be used for the EVA packs, like for the SAFER-system.
These thrusters would not have visible exhausts.

I also don't think, they can open and close the side hatch in space.
This is a valid point. But the side hatch provides more space to pass through with a space-suit and a backpack.
They could change the sealing system on the side hatch, to allow for in-space opening and closing.

** Edit: Ok, the EVA could fit through the docking port, but its pretty narrow. See 2nd screenshot.

Below is a sketch of the IDA adapter. Maybe they could remove the docking port and replace it with a clean tunnel, to increase the usable diameter. Probably we will only know, when SpaceX publishes some details on the planned EVA.1704567010250.png

1704567996808.png

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it just me? I can only EVA from the Cupola Dragon.
When I try to EVA from the 'normal' Dragon, nothing happens when pressing the [E] key.
You should be able to EVA from both - check hatch is open fully? Try the CrewDragon2022/DM2/Docking scenario - should work OK. Any good?

New patch zip "crewdragon2022_patch_240106b.zip" attached below.
File removed!! See zip attached to Post205

Changes:
Removed side-hatch docking port from Dragons.
EVA is spawned "in flight" at side hatch (not docked).
Focus set to EVA.
Return to side hatch to end EVA (as before).
EVA RCS thrust reduced and exhaust visuals removed.

Probably we will only know, when SpaceX publishes some details on the planned EVA.
Yep. I'll go with the side-hatch for now.

Thanks for the input guys (y)
Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One last bug fix.....CTD if you delete EVA using the Scenario Editor.

Latest version "crewdragon2022_patch_240107.zip" attached below.

Barring further bugs or suggestions, I think I'll leave it at that.
Thanks to all for testing, suggestions, etc.
Cheers,
Brian

Attachments

• crewdragon2022_patch_240107.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The cupola Dragon still has a front docking port, as legacy from the normal crewed version.
Thanks! Will fix on next update.

I just found an interesting little "Gravity"-movie style challenge for the EVA - in the CrewDragon2022/Inspiration4/On-orbit scenario, the ISS is passing some 80km below the Dragon - I think its possible to get the EVA to the ISS. I got close but no rendezvous yet :)

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
I think its possible to get the EVA to the ISS. I got close but no rendezvous yet
Could it be, that the forward thrust axis is not pointing fully through the mass center of the EVA?
When thrusting for longer time, the orientation seems to wander off.
I had to resort to spin stabilization. Hope the astronaut had only a light breakfast ... 🤢

Still, could not reach the ISS in a 2-burn orbit synchronization flight. Ran out of fuel. Partly because the orbital planes are misaligned by 0.14°, and the plane alignment maneuver ate too much into the dV budget.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could it be, that the forward thrust axis is not pointing fully through the mass center of the EVA?
When thrusting for longer time, the orientation seems to wander off.
I had to resort to spin stabilization. Hope the astronaut had only a light breakfast ... 🤢
Hmmm. Not sure whats up with that. Gravity gradient effects? Stuck thruster?
EVA RCS is balanced/symmetric - +Z thrust should be straight through (0,0,0).
Keeps very stable for me. Any further problems?
Still, could not reach the ISS in a 2-burn orbit synchronization flight. Ran out of fuel. Partly because the orbital planes are misaligned by 0.14°, and the plane alignment maneuver ate too much into the dV budget.
No luck here either. EVA has ~260m/s dV, which is enough to do it (by IMFD Target Intercept) - but thrust is low so you can't deploy that dV quick enough.

Cheers,
Brian

barrygolden

Reaction score
wanted to share these two picks of Dragon. Still seems like it would make sence to do a lunar dragon with landing legs and fuel in the truck

Attachments

• dragon 1.png
    dragon 1.png
    686.6 KB · Views: 16
  • dragon 2.png
    dragon 2.png
    524.8 KB · Views: 16

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Found out, it is a matter of "thruster saturation". If the Prograde or retrograde autopilot are active, their occasional thrusting is not balanced if the linear thrusters are on at the same time. This leads to the orientation drifting off-center.
Solution: First use KillRot, then use the linear thrusters. The EVA keeps stable then.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Might need to start to look at the Space X EVA suit
Still not real good look but you can see new gloves , a gold face shield , and looks like plastic shielding on it.
might should think about a small back pack maybe with RCS on it
this suit was shown by Elon and you can see a slightly different helmet , more of a Moon or Mars suit

Attachments

• space X suit.png
    space X suit.png
    499.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Space suit 2.png
    Space suit 2.png
    343.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Space suit.1.png
    Space suit.1.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Space suit.png
    Space suit.png
    421.6 KB · Views: 14

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Found out, it is a matter of "thruster saturation". If the Prograde or retrograde autopilot are active, their occasional thrusting is not balanced if the linear thrusters are on at the same time. This leads to the orientation drifting off-center.
Solution: First use KillRot, then use the linear thrusters. The EVA keeps stable then.
Yep, that would be it. Same thrusters used for Lin and Rot.
Did you ever make it to the ISS with the aid of the fire-extinguisher?? (Adapt and improvise! (y) )

@barrygolden re: suit - I'm no mesh artist, I'm afraid, when it comes to people, suits, etc. !
Looks like all the press releases pointing to EVA out of the nose hatch on Dragon. Even has it on the mission patch.
I'm thinking maybe Don is right about that. I can change that on the add-on easy enough.

Cheers,
Brian

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
0450b.jpgDid you ever make it to the ISS with the aid of the fire-extinguisher?
Yes, but it was not totally realistic ... :)

• Even big fire extinguishers do not have much capacity. I chose one with 2 kg dry mass and 3 kg filling. Just added the masses to the dry and fuel weight. Don't know much about the ISP of fire extinguishers.
  • Made a two-burn orbit lowering maneuver, using the SyncOrbit-MFD. The ISS is a bit too fast to catch it directly after the first half orbit, so I needed another half orbit to catch up with the station. I used a simple cfg-driven EVA, so no danger to run out of Oxygen.

Maybe not the most realistic adventure, but sure a fun one! ;)

diogom

Reaction score
Is that from the upcoming Polaris Dawn mission?
To be clear this was the only new information released, the other two screenshots seem to be from the usual clickbait style videos.

It will be fully tethered too so I'd imagine no need for any backpacks or motion control.