New Release Crew Dragon 2022

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
as before, the scenario works OK for me so I can't help much!

Did you try using the default Orbiter2016 graphics?

Does the same "CTD-from-saved-scenario" bug happen when you try a different Falcon9 launch scenario? (e.g one of the "Test" launch scenarios).

EstebanDF

Reaction score
After a few orbits, with the help of BaseSync MFD, splashed down about 1km or less from the GoSearcher :) DeOrbit and ReEntry autopilot worked great.

Attachments

• Captured.jpg
    Captured.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 28

Gieno

Reaction score
Hi.

Just a question, is there any MFD available that will help to perform a 360-degree maneuver a fly-around the ISS with Dragon?

Or, is this something that have to be done manually?

Thanks.

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi.

Just a question, is there any MFD available that will help to perform a 360-degree maneuver a fly-around the ISS with Dragon?

Or, is this something that have to be done manually?

Thanks.
Hi,
I'm not sure - maybe PursuitMFD?
Cheers,
Brian

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yes, PursuitMFD can do just that, I do that frequently. Approach ISS to 10 km or less, zero out your DeltaV with ISS. Call up PursuitMFD, select DOC mode, set ISS as target, be sure you select any dock at target dock (TDK), otherwise it'll shoot you around the vicinity like a deflating balloon.
Once a target dock is selected, you will see your xyz coordinates from that dock on the right, input an xyz in the distance button approximately the same as your actual coordinates, then activate the trim axes, it'll then station keep where you are. Then edit the x, y, z axes as you like to do the fly around.
So, let's say you are at x100 y-200 z600, enter x0, then Pursuit will bring you to x0, then y0, then z500. Pursuit will bring you to 500 meters from the selected dock. Then you can enter y500, your ship will then fly up to y500 keeping z at 500. Then enter z-500, you ship will fly to 500 meters the far side of the station 500 meters from the back of your dock. Then y-500, it'll fly down below the station, z500, the ship will fly back to the starting end 500 meters below the dock, enter y0 you'll go back to your starting point.
If you do not engage the HLD and NOR buttons, you can manually use RCS to roll, pitch, yaw to point at any part of the ISS you like to observe it. If you engage those buttons, Pursuit will point and roll you at the dock from x0 y0 z500 ready for docking, when you maneuver around ISS, the orientation will not change, you'll keep pointing parallel to the dock. This would allow personel aboard ISS to observe your ship.
I like to bring up the DockMFD on the other screen to observe the approach ladder of the selected dock.
Right now I have a number of Martins Module tubes and cubes attached to Dock 2 of the ISS to increase docking capacity. I have 18 PBs all controlled by Pursuit for stationkeeping of them off to the side. Using Pursuit, I am bringing each one in to a dock all in auto mode (Pursuit can control up to 32 vessels in auto all from any one ship).

Gieno

Reaction score
Yes, PursuitMFD can do just that, I do that frequently. Approach ISS to 10 km or less, zero out your DeltaV with ISS. Call up PursuitMFD, select DOC mode, set ISS as target, be sure you select any dock at target dock (TDK), otherwise it'll shoot you around the vicinity like a deflating balloon.
Once a target dock is selected, you will see your xyz coordinates from that dock on the right, input an xyz in the distance button approximately the same as your actual coordinates, then activate the trim axes, it'll then station keep where you are. Then edit the x, y, z axes as you like to do the fly around.
So, let's say you are at x100 y-200 z600, enter x0, then Pursuit will bring you to x0, then y0, then z500. Pursuit will bring you to 500 meters from the selected dock. Then you can enter y500, your ship will then fly up to y500 keeping z at 500. Then enter z-500, you ship will fly to 500 meters the far side of the station 500 meters from the back of your dock. Then y-500, it'll fly down below the station, z500, the ship will fly back to the starting end 500 meters below the dock, enter y0 you'll go back to your starting point.
If you do not engage the HLD and NOR buttons, you can manually use RCS to roll, pitch, yaw to point at any part of the ISS you like to observe it. If you engage those buttons, Pursuit will point and roll you at the dock from x0 y0 z500 ready for docking, when you maneuver around ISS, the orientation will not change, you'll keep pointing parallel to the dock. This would allow personel aboard ISS to observe your ship.
I like to bring up the DockMFD on the other screen to observe the approach ladder of the selected dock.
Right now I have a number of Martins Module tubes and cubes attached to Dock 2 of the ISS to increase docking capacity. I have 18 PBs all controlled by Pursuit for stationkeeping of them off to the side. Using Pursuit, I am bringing each one in to a dock all in auto mode (Pursuit can control up to 32 vessels in auto all from any one ship).
Awesome, thanks will give it a try ;)(y)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
here is a test update that adds EVA (Extra Vehicular Astronaut) capability.
crewdragon2022_patch_240106.zip attached below.
Zip removed!! See attached zip in post 203 !!!
It should be installed on top of the latest CrewDragon2022 version (overwrite old files).

EVA mesh courtesy of @francisdrake (mucho thanks!! (y)), original model by Diuis on Sketchfab.

eva1.jpg

Dragon changes:
Docking port added at centre of side-hatch.
E = Spawn EVA (docked at side-hatch)
Maximum 2 EVAs at one time.
Hatch must be open and clear to spawn EVA.

EVA spec:
Linear/Rotation RCS.
M = Helmet lamp On/Off
G = Grapple/Release (right hand only)
K = Show Grapple Points
4 hours life support
Return to side-hatch docking port to end EVA.
Mass 100kg
Fuel 30kg
RCS ISP 1000Ns/kg

If anyone is interested to test it, do let me know if it works OK, bugs, etc.
Many thanks...and thanks again to francisdrake.

Last edited:

gamer19

Reaction score
can't separate from ship, just standing at a hatch
pressing G doesn't help
I see I can actually steering the ship itself with my inputs just can't get away from the ship itself :)

btw most of my scenarios crashed (don't blame your mod actually, I just learned to live dangerous with Orbiter, it's like 75% of my scenarios crashes - thank god for AMSO)
but this one particular has worked - Orbiter2016\Scenarios\Dragon DM2\Inspiration4\On orbit 15 Sept 2021

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
can't separate from ship, just standing at a hatch
pressing G doesn't help
I see I can actually steering the ship itself with my inputs just can't get away from the ship itself :)
EVA is docked to Dragon - use Ctrl+D to undock.

gamer19

Reaction score
didn't see that coming 😁
ok thanks
off to some testing

gamer19

Reaction score
well can't say much... all seems fine
orbiter-2024-01-06-00-54-23-654.jpg

loads of fun :)

eventually got lost in space but in a fun way

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice. I wonder if rcs should be seen? Not sure how they will move around in space?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't think they will move around (like Gemini). I think they will will move with tethers and hand rails. I also don't think, they can open and close the side hatch in space.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
0380a.jpg

Works well for me! I think, this is a nice addition to Dragons' capabilities.
Automatically ending the EVA by re-docking to the capsule is a cool feature!

A few remarks:
When starting the EVA, would it make sense to pass the focus to the EVA-astronaut, so he can directly start maneuvering?
(Without manual F3 switching to the EVA.)

Would it be better to rotate the docking port by 90°, so it faces the approaching astronaut, as in the screenshot above?
This way the DockingMFD could be used to find the way back to the capsule hatch.

I think the EVA thrusters could still be tuned down, maybe half of the power.
---
Thanks for implementing the EVA feature so well!

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi!
Nice. I wonder if rcs should be seen? Not sure how they will move around in space?
Not sure about RCS, I kind of like to see something, anyone else any opinion?

I don't think they will move around (like Gemini). I think they will will move with tethers and hand rails.
I reckon you're both right about tethers and hand-rails i.r.l. - but I can't find a satisfactory (to me anyway) way to implement that, so went with a free-flying fictional EVA, just for a bit of fun.

I also don't think, they can open and close the side hatch in space.
Well, I can always spawn the EVA at the nose instead - no option for that on the Inspiration4 "cupola" variant of course.
How certain are we about this? I had heard some mention the nose hatch wouldn't be big enough for EVA egress?

A few remarks:
When starting the EVA, would it make sense to pass the focus to the EVA-astronaut, so he can directly start maneuvering?
(Without manual F3 switching to the EVA.)
I think I agree on that.

Would it be better to rotate the docking port by 90°, so it faces the approaching astronaut, as in the screenshot above?
This way the DockingMFD could be used to find the way back to the capsule hatch.
Actually the Dragon docking port does point -Y (out of the hatch), EVA docking port points at his toes!
Has to be that way for the EVA to start in a reasonable orientation.
Also, the docking port method is very forgiving - just get the middle of EVA to be near middle of hatch (head-first, feet-first, face-on, doesn't matter). I'll have a think but can't see much advantage in changing.

I think the EVA thrusters could still be tuned down, maybe half of the power.
I agree.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the EVA movement I made a pop out window for eva. It basically moves at attachment

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the EVA movement I made a pop out window for eva. It basically moves at attachment
I think I see what you mean. Nice idea.
I used the "movable attachment" method for HST-Ex and SAL EVAs, but I didn't find it really gave the "feel" of using a tether or hand-over-hand travel.
Cheers,
Brian