Question Mars One? Has anyone gave a donation?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Reminds me of a joke:

Mars One was interviewing various professionals for a mission to Mars. The only catch being one could go and never return to Earth.

The first applicant, an engineer, was asked how much he wanted to be paid for going. "A million dollars," he answered, "because I want to donate it to my alma mater"

The next applicant, a doctor, was asked the same question. He asked for $2 million. "I want to give a million to my family," he explained, "and leave the other million for the advancement of medical research."

The last applicant was a lawyer. When asked how much money he wanted, he whispered in the interviewer’s ear, "Three million dollars."

"Why so much more than the others?" asked the interviewer.

The lawyer replied, "If you give me $3 million, I’ll give you $1 million, I’ll keep $1 million, and we’ll send the engineer to Mars."

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
..which is why I really think that SpaceX´s approach of selling seats on their Mars Colonial Transport (MCT) will fail spectacularly

How anyone could actually believe that story is beyond me.. as the saying goes..

A fool and his/her money are soon parted
:facepalm:

This is one of the reasons why, IMHO, I think Elon is a shady character ?
Even if he put a gazillion bucks on the table.. I'd still walk away ;)

richfororbit

Reaction score
What if it had been Moon One, or MoonBase instead of Mars One and have people settle on the moon for sometime, and then return.

The make work better due to the short distance.:hmm:

richfororbit

Reaction score
I think we need to give the organisation a chance.

People like the candidate Ryan who has been making clips about Mars believes the investment of the first million dollars should be the end of this month.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think we need to give the organisation a chance.

People like the candidate Ryan who has been making clips about Mars believes the investment of the first million dollars should be the end of this month.
No we don't. These guys rely on very gullible idiots who don't know the first thing about aerospace to go anywhere. Not even SpaceX who is much farther along wants anything to do with them. The ones who have applied are just those kind of idiots (sorry for the term but they are just that) that the Mars One management wants. This is just a pyramid scheme that has nothing to back up its claims.

I think Urwumpe put it best in the reply#1:

No. I don't do Ponzi schemes.

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hmm. May they can't get anyone to Mars, but hopefully a few non personnel missions would still be cool.

I guess the idea is to have candidates train to essentially run an automatic spacecraft, like Space Exploration technologies future idea of the capsule 2.0

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
The problem is the same it was months and years ago: the Mars One organization has no concrete plans (i.e. contracts with spacecraft manufacturers and LV providers) and almost more importantly, no source of significant funding.

Whenever you read about a program in space explroation and these two items are not defined in a detailed manner, it's vaporware/a pyramid scheme.

richfororbit

Reaction score
At the time it was based on the idea of a reality show, which doesn't exist and won't. As well the Olympic revenues based on two games gone past.

They will get a contract with space exploration tech when they have the revenue, that is obviously. I'm sure they won't have a problem to launch their non personnel missions to Mars.

This year there is a new candidate selection taking place. Not sure if that is for another one hundred more. Either way, that is the agenda. While candidate training begins next year, and not this year or the year before, obviously, no funds, it'd be too early.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
At the time it was based on the idea of a reality show, which doesn't exist and won't.

And here's kind of the problem. Their main means of monetisation doesn't pan out. For any business ever, that is the end of it.

richfororbit

Reaction score
You don't think they can get two missions to Mars with donations? Those being orbital and one landing. As for crew, well that is a steep challenge.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
You are talking about the kind of enterprise that costs hundreds if not billions of dollars, unmanned missions that is, and in which even nation states which have a history of performing similarly complex missions fail from time to time.

So, to quote:
You don't think they can get two missions to Mars with donations?

Absolutely, categorically no. Never.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You don't think they can get two missions to Mars with donations? Those being orbital and one landing. As for crew, well that is a steep challenge.

Even an unmanned Mars orbiter mission would be way more expensive than many other kickstarter projects (Including Star Citizen).

You should remember, that you not only need a spacecraft, but lots of infrastructure on the ground as well. And if you want to make use of NASA or ESA infrastructure, you need to use their components. Also, you need to pay attention to the harsh reality - it could easily happen that your first ever spacecraft is a failure. If you still want to ensure success, you need to pay more than one spacecraft and mission - even if you afford a professional satellite building company and COTS components for it. (Practically, you always build two nearly identical spacecraft, but only one is intended to fly. The other one might be close to being able to fly after some repairs and fixes, or it might be just good enough for testing commands in advance before sending them to your flying spacecraft)

And even doing a Sputnik-like orbiting radio beacon would be hard - and not really be as impressive today as it was in 1957.

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
I'm tired of things "Mars". There are far more interesting places in the solar system, but fear seems to keep us away. Donations? Uhm, no.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hehe^

Of course I didn't think about infrastructure, Mars One wouldn't have it for that mission. So as for their first mission, who'd actually be monitoring it?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You don't think they can get two missions to Mars with donations?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: he... hmphhhhhhuahahahaHAHAHANOOOOOO! :rofl:

richfororbit

Reaction score
^LOL

As for the candidates, how long will they stick together, if not one mission can get there with donations, then this idea can't happen. It just seems odd. There won't be any actual investment money of six million.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
^LOL

As for the candidates, how long will they stick together, if not one mission can get there with donations, then this idea can't happen. It just seems odd. There won't be any actual investment money of six million.

There won't be ANY money without a good plan. And a good plan has room to fix unexpected and expected problems.

I don't know about the candidates, but maybe its also just their five minutes of fame.

richfororbit

Reaction score
There is one core support Ryan, he does monthly clips.

I was reminded the other day when I thought about the non personnel mission of Mars One's first demo mission. There was that English guy who got Beagle 2 going using funds, the one that landed but failed to open.