Idea Mercury and Gemini add-on improvements

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I say that textures are not enough of an upgrade. I also meant Mercury AND Gemini, along with the launch vehicles. They seem outdated on the inside. And about the pads, I would suggest toning down a bit. Or better yet, you could release 2 versions: one that is toned down and the one that you put the details into. That makes perfect sense to me anyway because it seems fair.

Who stoping you to make better texture?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
The textures are fine, it's the sacecraft. They're old, outdated and need improvement. That is the whole purpose of this thread.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I say that textures are not enough of an upgrade. I also meant Mercury AND Gemini, along with the launch vehicles. They seem outdated on the inside. And about the pads, I would suggest toning down a bit. Or better yet, you could release 2 versions: one that is toned down and the one that you put the details into. That makes perfect sense to me anyway because it seems fair.

It almost seems as though the whole point of these upgrades is lost on you, or you're not paying attention.

Earlier, you asked if these were high-poly models...when the question I posed in the post immediately before yours was specifically related to the fact that they are already high-poly, and likely to get bigger.

You claim to have tried Kev33's Pad 14, yet suggest I release a "toned down" version...which comparitively speaking, is exactly what Kev's pad is,and is already available. The whole point of this model is upgraded detail.

That is the whole purpose of this thread.

You say you fear your computer being unable to handle a model of this complexity, yet you say "textures are not enough of an upgrade."

What exactly do you think you're looking for...?????????????

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Okay, I guess it is lost on me. I was expecting sapcecraft improvements on DLL's and meshes, and sound. I guess when improvement comes to me I think strictly modifying, nothing new. That's probably what caught me off guard. If I am wrong please let me know. By the way, check out this thread and PLEASE respond:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8965

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Again, it seems that you're still not paying attention...

Upgraded models are an improvement to the mesh.

This model is a modification of Kev's basic pad.

The issue of additional sound (and the fact that available NASA audio for later Mercury & Gemini missions is almost nil) was addressed earlier in this thread.

So what is it that you expect to be "improved" ? Do you understand how Orbiter runs? And that "improvements" generally means more detail, and in the case of meshes means a LARGER mesh, which has a direct impact on framerate?

So again, I have to ask, do you even know what you're looking for?

With regard to the link you posted: are you going to make these scenarios?

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Okay, just do as you wish with this thread. I will be monitoring...

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's not a matter of anyone doing "as they wish" with a thread, nor am I trying to pick at you.
There's generally a trade-off between high detail & performance...if you want more than texture upgrades, but your PC wont run higher poly models, I simply don't understand what specifically you're asking for.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I do realize that. I see it as 100% performance and 50%-75% detail. For a specific upgrade, is there any updates with te sound? My thruster fire is heard in space. Also, the explosive hatch plunger doesn't work (probably because there is no explosive hatch).

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If you don't want to hear your thrusters in space, you need to configure OrbiterSound, not look for an add-on with that feature.

Open your OrbiterSound configuration. Go to the lower left and make sure ALLOW THE SILENCE OF SPACE is checked.

As far as detail vs. performance, it is what it is.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, indeed they are audible (even with the SILENCE line checked). I never really noticed before.

Who wasn't paying attention that time? ;) LOL!

I try not to sweat the small stuff though. If something is "do-able" and one is so inclined, that's icing on the cake. If it isn't possible, why worry about it, y'know?

If Rob re-wrote the Mercury & Gemini DLLs, I'd be ecstatic, but if he doesn't, we'll just make do with what we have.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is fixing the sound do-able?

Short of deleting the wav files (and unless you run Mercury in a dedicated Orbiter install, that would affect all of your addons that share that particular wav), probably not. IIRC, the audio for the addon is configured via the DLL.

If someone wanted to attempt coding a new DLL, that would be another story.

Where I'm concerned, models, yeah, I can do. You wouldn't want me to write a DLL. Your microwave would explode everytime you flushed the toilet.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
:rofl:

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding earlier. I'm still relatively new to the forum.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No worries. As I said, I try not to sweat the small stuff...:cheers:

For what it's worth, I went with the simplified staircase...the detail on it is just a texture...

LC14BlockhouseSteps.jpg

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Interesting, coming along nicely!

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

By the way, I posted some Mercury scenarios on OH and they are not there. I went through the whole process correctly, but it doesn't show up. Any suggestions?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There was talk awhile back about single scenario uploads cluttering OH (they're not really add-ons per se).

Whole missions are another story, especially where they concern complex navigation, but a simple "launch" scenario for example, may be deemed extraneous and deleted. I don't know for certain. You'd have to check with a site admin to be sure.