Project Merril C. Meigs base

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks Ljetibo, all the surface tiles are done, comes to 42MB.

I'll put some default buildings and landing pads around the runway. Its a small area so shouldn't add much.
If I started on Chicago, it would probably go on forever...

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Was really just going to add airfield buildings and structures, like my Gan base. But it may be fun to try and get it looking like the FS4 era art work?

That's just about my mesh limits...

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Might have asked this before, is there any way of letting the light mask come through surface tiles?

This shows the current effect:
https://imgur.com/a/BxsOiPz

The coastal tiles are .dds 3 type, and are blended toward the edges.
Guessing I would have to make all the land tiles type 3 and give them some transparency?

Still wouldn't look right, they would appear dim.

Had a look in the PlanetTexture documentation:

4.2 The Mask layer The Mask layer contains the planet water mask (for rendering specular reflection of water surfaces) and the night light texture, if applicable, in a combined 512512 pixel DXT1 texture file (1-bit transparency). The RGB channels of the texture provide the night light information, while the 1-bit alpha channel provides the water mask (alpha=0: water, alpha=1: land). Due to a limitation of the DXT1 format, pixels with alpha=0 do not contain RGB information. Therefore, night lights cannot be defined on water surfaces. A planet with neither night lights nor specular reflection surfaces does not need to provide a Mask layer.

Guessing its not possible? The Mask layer is working properly, just being covered by my new surface tiles?

What might work is making the land tiles type 1, so they have a 1 bit transparency. Then using the mask layer to "punch" a hole in the surface tile.
Would have to find and match the relevant piece of the Mask Layer to each surface tile.
As there are over a hundred, probably won't happen.

N.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Fed up of this hanging around my pc, so I'll finish off the last of the surface tiles, stick a runway on it, and see if Orbit Hangar will take it.
Should be done this week-end, simple add-on.

N.

CTarana45

Reaction score
Fed up of this hanging around my pc, so I'll finish off the last of the surface tiles, stick a runway on it, and see if Orbit Hangar will take it.
Should be done this week-end, simple add-on.

N.

There's nothing with Flight Simulator 4.0b or it's graphics!:thumbup: I like it better than FS98 or the newer versions! I still fly it under Windows Vista using Defend Reloaded! :lol:

Christopher Tarana

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Meigs Field? Doing god's work, sir! Can't wait to see where you end up with this project!

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, all done now, just have to remember how to do the zip thing for OH!

Quite a bumpy runway, but I'll blame the Mayor...

N.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Quite a bumpy runway, but I'll blame the Mayor...

N.

Right? R.I.P. Meigs Field. You were cut down in your prime, sacrificed for the wrong reasons.