Mid-Deck development

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com

I've just done a Polycount, I'll give you time to brace yourselves as it is higher than I planned, 23,000. There are several area's where I can improve the count, or lose the odd 'extra' face. my best guess would be +15,000. I could be harsh and really cut into it, but I'll see what I can get away with when the 'Modelling' is complete.

Once again minor updates to the blog, got a couple of images to upload, but I do this when I have 'free' time

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice work George or Gary, what ever you're calling yourself now. :lol: If you want, I can do some reduction to the mesh, in AC3D if you'ld like. It works well and you don't loose much of the detail. Just let me know.

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Think I'll stick with George :)

Thanks for the offer, If I get really stuck and send a AC3d and 3ds files directly to you. I've found three areas that are causing the poly count to be high. These I'll look into reducing heavily, where as other locations I'll just knock off the odd poly here and there :)

-----Post Added-----

After a bit of playing with the Middeck Lockers, I've got the Poly count down to 17,000. I did plan to have them operable in a future version. This I've now omitted, for now ;)

BTW what Poly count is the flight deck, plus buttons and all? So I have something to aim for :)

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
VC.msh has 154,681 faces.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, it's looking great. I can't wait to use this in SSU. :)

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Hi all, there is some texture updates on my blog. I'll hopefully in the next week or so have a lot more done. Then I'm starting a new job which I'll probably have less time on the middeck, whilst I'm getting re-acquainted with CAD systems and systems administration.

BTW I've registered with Sourceforge, so who could please add me to the project, so I can upload meshes?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hi all, there is some texture updates on my blog. I'll hopefully in the next week or so have a lot more done. Then I'm starting a new job which I'll probably have less time on the middeck, whilst I'm getting re-acquainted with CAD systems and systems administration.

BTW I've registered with Sourceforge, so who could please add me to the project, so I can upload meshes?

What is your username in sourceforge, then I can just add you.

BTW: The new textures look great, can't wait to test how the mid-deck now looks in Orbiter.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
The detail on the mid-deck is simply too cool. :cheers:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I am in awe !!!

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Thanks all :). I hoping to get a prelim version in the next week or so. I've also started on V2, which will be heavily detailed, curves and all clips :).

Urwumpe, I've just mailed you my sourceforge details ;)

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Keep in mind, that I'd like to CNC machine a mockup of that Mid-Deck out of MDF, so the Version 2 keeping detail in it would be awesome. The plan is to CAD redo the SSU model and CNC it at 1:5 or 1:4 scale to make sure everything fits right, then tackle the 1:1 scale for the guys in the Orbiter simpit subforums. :)

Any possability of tackling the flight deck next with higher texture detail? Those switches on the flight deck must eat a ton of polys, but the textures could be upgraded I guess.

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
A 'version' in V2 will be a CAD format. At home I can export IGES or DXF file formats. However, an additional bonus with my new job (CAD Administrator) and I have access to many formats, CATIA V5 mainly, but I'll try to suit your needs ;)

I have a 'different' version of the flight deck, but it's no where decent to use. Might be later, but it won't have 'switches & knobs'.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
A 'version' in V2 will be a CAD format. At home I can export IGES or DXF file formats. However, an additional bonus with my new job (CAD Administrator) and I have access to many formats, CATIA V5 mainly, but I'll try to suit your needs ;)

I have a 'different' version of the flight deck, but it's no where decent to use. Might be later, but it won't have 'switches & knobs'.

CATIA V5R18 would be the ideal, but any solids based format is good. The knobs and switches and all of that don't need to be in the CAD actually. The priority would be to machine the fuselage stations and the walls, ceiling and floors and then work from there to add in the containers, seats, ladders and all of that. I use a CATIA -> MasterCAM -> CNC workflow. I'm thinking along the lines of using 2x4, 2x6, 2x8 for structure and 1/8" masonlite sheeting for walls and 1/2" plywood for floors. If there is anything I can do to help out just let me know. :speakcool:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the latest pic of this awesome mid-deck?

Awesome:):):)

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I just had a look at gawinnard's blog. Very, very nice.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Nice hatch:cheers:

Question: Do you mind if I ask what is the latest polycount for the entire mid-deck?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A ***t load !!:rofl:

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
A ***t load !!:rofl:
is H, I and S missing? ;)

I've been too scared to check the poly count as i've added more objects in. so after 4 whiskeys I've plucked up the courage to ask the computer, hid behind my sofa and believe it or not, it's just under 17,000 polys. I thought it was going to be more like 50,000.

/Pours another whiskey in celebration :) :cheers: