Mid-Deck development

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Is the plan still to have a hi-poly & lo-poly version?

I just fear that once this is combined with SSU, my FPS will be so low that Orbiter will be unplayable on my PC (my PC is a 3-year old ex-XP Vista upgrade);)

But great work on the mid-deck - I too was expecting far more polys than that...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you could have 2 VC's and switch between the two, it wouldn't be bad. After all, you can't be in both at once. :)

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
desktopsimmer.blogspot.com
This model is based on a mid range PC of a few years back, namely mine ;). I might go for a <10,000 version for low end PC, I could even go lower, but that would probably ruin quality. A high polygon model would be probably 30,000-40,000, even +50,000, but that would be daft.

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've been too scared to check the poly count as i've added more objects in. so after 4 whiskeys I've plucked up the courage to ask the computer, hid behind my sofa and...

:rofl:...that cracked me up.

Seriously, very nice work, Sir! Don't forget to make back-up copies of your 3d model files regularly.
One quick question, does Wings3D have an editable mesh or editable polygon modeling mode? If yes, do you use the latter? I am curious, because I was using the latter in Max, and I'm facing trouble when converting from polygon back to mesh, because of the different triangulation. Quite frustrating.

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Backups, everywhere! An FTP link to my parents which backs up everything from 3Dmodels to family photos (My parents have the reverse for their stuff to a server here) every day. Every 2 hours a backup from my primary NAS to my secondary NAS at my house (both RAID 5), the HDD in the PC is a mirrored Drive, and any current projects are backed up to my pen drive.

...All this because I lost this:

http://www.stsintrepid.freeuk.com/

Wings3d is based on mesh editing, but you don't have to use 'triangles' to edit shapes, However, it is relative simple to create many shapes. But, there are downsides, especially when creating complex shapes, the use of the Intersect Tool when editing many points can take hours for what seem a simple task. The other downside is lack of boolean operations. Every once in a while I'll export the model/part and boolean it in AC3D, the import it back and clean it up in Wings3D.

I have been tempted to use Blender, as that supports animations. Many on the next project :)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Not orbiter related, It's a small movie of the Aliens dropship. The Landing gear is going to be a SOB to animate as the actual landing configuration can't fold away, as parts collide with each other. Sci-fi designers are never practical :)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Working on something not Orbiter related. Is that allowed ?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Working on something not Orbiter related. Is that allowed ?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. I DEMAND THAT YOU CEASE ALL WORK ON NON-ORBITER RELATED PROJECTS IMMIDIATELY. REMEMBER: THE PROBE TAKES A DIM VIEW OF "DESERTERS". IT WILL FIND YOU, GEORGE. IT KNOWS WHERE YOU LIVE. AS A MATTER OF FACT, IT KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE RIGHT NOW. ITS COMING FOR YOU, GEORGE. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!!:lol:

On a more serious note:

If you're still interested, there is still some work for you on ISSU in the near-mid term future, if you want it. You said to me a few months back that you would quite like to handle the SSU ODS to ISSU PMA work? But as I said, only if you are still interested. I understand if you are not:cheers:

Last edited:

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Good news all, preliminary version one is almost complete, just got to place a truck load of 3D switches and other small stuff in.

Another 'parallel' version will be used in another simulator. Please do not flame this post, or I'll be mad

gawinnard

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
It was a poor attempt of Marvin the Martian type of humour, and a screwed up the quote :D

21501BP~Marvin-The-Martian-Posters.jpg

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Super-secret shots of the "other" simulator: :rofl:

spaceshuttleo.jpg

IMHO, you put the tons of hours into the model, it's your right to do anything you want with it. Noone is going to complain if it's used in other projects. ;)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I saw the same mid-deck in SSM2007.