Project Mir station complex / UR-500 family

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
when entering values, the KRD-79 engine turns out to be too steep, you can still fly somewhere on one module, except for the station Mir
565.jpg76.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I use that tool and others extensively for everthing that touches vectors :

Set the "Magnitude" = 1 (because those Orbiter thrust vectors are Unit Vectors), then input an angle in degrees, and it will gives you the vector components for that angle.

Now this is a 2D vector calculator, but you also can find 3D ones if you really need complex rotations.

Note : your Isp = 28000 ? It seems very high ! I think you meant 2800 ;)

Started the crane on the top of the tower and also trying to figure the various connections on the aft part, this is quite a haystack.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't really know what is that thing or "arm", there seems to be cables getting to two wheels that hang roughly at man arms height. Maybe used to winch things manually ? Really not sure.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
if it were a ship, I could say with confidence that it is a "Sheave"

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
finally found a blueprint where there is an "Strela" as a sample I have a canadarm
space-station-1618075_1280.jpgEWwhpFkXgAA57t6.jpgTsiblievEVA-EO23.jpgphoto_03-18-12.jpg

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
a feature of the modules control was discovered due to the fact that the engines on different planes necessarily outweigh the other, therefore the modules are not able to slide (sliding sideways up and down)
these directions will have to be corrected by turning the entire module and starting the main engine
777.jpg74477.jpg

Last edited:

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
yes, but it is not really needed since all directions work (the cover must open under it the main engine is located)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
yes, but it is not really needed since all directions work (the cover must open under it the main engine is located)

A bigger engine usually has a better Specific Impulse, which means "more kilometers per liter". Attitude thrusters are not designed to have a good Specific Impulse, but to be very easy to ignite and cut off. The Soyuz TMA ones can do this dozens of time every second a bit like an automatic weapon (they have no "throttle", they are on/off and the computer manages those "bursts" duration and frequency to match the control inputs - we can't simulate that in Orbiter because we'd need a reliable framerate of like 1000 FPS, maybe in a few years! -). The Soyuz KDTU main engine (the center one) has 2 throttle modes (low and full), but it probably requires an ullage burn, so its "more efficient" BUT "less convenient".

Also the design plan is that, if for some reason the main engine fails completely, the small ones can be used as a backup. Even if they burn more fuel and don't lower the orbit as much as the main one, Soyuz is a LEO vehicle so it will be enough to bring the crew back on Earth in a reasonable delay through orbit decay (in the worst case cosmonauts have 48 hours of emergency supplies and even a small shotgun - anti-bear-gun - which they might also need on Earth in case of such an non-controlled reentry).

The other benefit of that "cross" pattern is that you can control pitch and yaw with those 4 engines only, that's some kind of backup if the DO (orientation system) fails. Robust design.

Last edited:

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
increased the number of engines, and the principle of their operation
232.jpg4334.jpg44334.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
maybe I'm confusing something, but in the cockpit it was not possible to create such lighting before

I think Jarmonik is working on that, so newer versions of the client might include better lighting model for VC.

increased the number of engines, and the principle of their operation
View attachment 25013View attachment 25014View attachment 25015

A bit "steamy". I'd try a bit less velocity and boost the growth rate of particles. Also you might want to try "diffuse" instead of "emissive".

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
how can connect two objects that have attachment? (docking ports are connected in the scenario editor)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
From the Space Shuttle Atlantis scenarios I'd say it works very much like docking ports, same syntax :

Carina:Carina
STATUS Orbiting Earth
ATTACHED 0:0,STS-101
END

Carina is a "dumb" vessel with only a config file where the attachment points are defined, it has no .dll module at all, so this can be done through .cfg and .scn editing.

Very cool interior, I love those "back in the days" CRT screens (y)

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Note that while attachments are still supported in 2016, the trend is to use docking ports instead more and more (see how Martins implemented Atlantis in 2016, and also last builds of NASSP).