Mission 1 – Energia Launch of Core Module

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
June 9th 2012, 21:47 zulu time, the Energia launcher lifted off with the Cassiopee core module for the new space station TSS. Lift off was from Sumatra Island, Indonesia at SRC Polygon Base. The base's location is approximately 1.2 degrees N of the equator.

The plan for the station is to be leased to various nations/companies. Initial plans are for the station to support a crew of 3. In the future, further expansion will be possible.

Mission 1 put the core module in orbit.
Mission 2 is to launch the Constitution space shuttle with the module node Artemis on board and rendezvous with the station. The Artemis Node module will allow installation of future modules.
Mission 3 is to launch a XR2 Ravenstar with seven crewmembers, some supplies and leave 3 crew on station. At this time, the station will begin operations.
Mission 4 will be another shuttle launch with a docking module for ATV/CTV ports.

Other various missions will follow.

The launch of the unmanned Energia launcher was a great success. The launcher consisted of the Buran-T module with the Cassiopee tucked away inside with a DM-2 tug. Early morning launch was chosen for a nice daylight separation orbit.

The launcher continued its climb toward the morning sun.

Separation of the Buran-T module occurred at 457secs mission time.

Deployment of the Cassiopee occurred at 497secs mission time as planned.

The tug was used to carry the module to its proper orbit and make any necessary adjustments. Initial orbit was 215k x 33.52k. The Buran-T fell back into the atmosphere, but our tug fired up and carried the cargo to an orbit of 246.5k x 249.6km.

DM-2 tug deployment over Hawaii a couple hours after liftoff.

A systems check was performed from mission control, solar panels deployed and primary power systems were brought online.

The main block C of the rocket reentered and burned up over the Pacific approx. 800 west of the coast of Peru.

Final orbit of the station is 246.5km x 249.6km with an Inc. of 31.17 degrees. This will allow shuttle launches from the Cape to reach the station. Orbit height will increase once construction is complete to approx. 500km plus to minimize drag.

Next mission (Mission 2) will have the Space Shuttle Constitution launch and installation of the Artemis Node.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's just like that time I launched a Cassiopee (renamed "Magic") as part of my Friendship Station project (canceled because I lost interest)

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Pipcard;bt4454 said:
It's just like that time I launched a Cassiopee (renamed "Magic") as part of my Friendship Station project (canceled because I lost interest)

As a matter of fact, your station inspired me to blog my construction. I've built many a station with Greg Burch's parts and the XR5, but I thought I'd try a different kind of station then with cookie cutter Burch parts. I could load up an XR5 and build an entire station in one launch. Don't get me wrong, I love Burchs parts and the XR5 "one trip stations". However I want the challenge of building with multiple launches, multiple vessels and multiple locations of launches. So far so good. My station initially will be fairly simple. I really like the Cassiopee module, it's a great core.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I agree, the Cassiopee makes for a great station core.

I've got a team for my own VSA at SRC Polygon at the moment. Do you mind too much if I have them take notice of your Energia launch?

Therius

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
PhantomCruiser;bt4456 said:
I agree, the Cassiopee makes for a great station core.

I've got a team for my own VSA at SRC Polygon at the moment. Do you mind too much if I have them take notice of your Energia launch?

I don't mind too much at all! :thumbup: