More about tiny object orbits

Sword7

Reaction score
Some time ago, we discussed about tiny objects orbiting each another. I now found a video slip on YouTube about "Can Astronaut orbit Space Station?".

Yes, it is possible as long as outside Earth's SOI. That video showed that dices or baseballs orbit around bowling ball 30,000km away from Earth. Or they can orbit you as well.

Rosetta spacecraft successfully orbited around tiny comet a few years ago.

Sword7

Majid

Reaction score
Some time ago, we discussed about tiny objects orbiting each another. I now found a video slip on YouTube about "Can Astronaut orbit Space Station?".

Yes, it is possible as long as outside Earth's SOI. That video showed that dices or baseballs orbit around bowling ball 30,000km away from Earth. Or they can orbit you as well.

Rosetta spacecraft successfully orbited around tiny comet a few years ago.

Sword7

Are you referring to Scott Manley's video? I am not sure if there is a question associated with this post, but gravity is a very weak force. The force of gravity on an object can be computed by the famous equation:

F = GM1M2/d^2

Where G is the universal gravitational constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the two bodies and d is the distance. G is an extremely small number, so for objects the size of a bowling ball/dice, the force of gravity is really really small, to the point of being negligible. The acceleration induced by this force is:

F/m = a

This is why in the video you are referring to, the dice has an orbital period of 24 hours when the semi-major axis is only half a meter.

Sword7

Reaction score
Are you referring to Scott Manley's video? I am not sure if there is a question associated with this post, but gravity is a very weak force. The force of gravity on an object can be computed by the famous equation:

F = GM1M2/d^2

Where G is the universal gravitational constant, M1 and M2 are the masses of the two bodies and d is the distance. G is an extremely small number, so for objects the size of a bowling ball/dice, the force of gravity is really really small, to the point of being negligible. The acceleration induced by this force is:

F/m = a

This is why in the video you are referring to, the dice has an orbital period of 24 hours when the semi-major axis is only half a meter.

Yes, I am talking about Scott Manley's video. I already know about gravity formula. That's why force of gravity is very small because of the dice's orbital period (24 hrs).

Big difference is magnetism (virtual strong force). There was experiment about water drops orbits around rod at ISS a few times before it attached to rod.