Movie making for orbiter.

mauzer

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking for a good program for recording movies in orbiter.
Thanks in advance.....

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com

cr1

Promoting vegetables in space
Reaction score
CamStudio might work as well, I've installed it but haven't tried it yet. Apparently it's open source and free, and it also makes AVIs.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Tried CamStudio, it is completely free and it records to both AVI and Flash movie formats.

Only thing is, I can't seem to get it to record above about 8fps even just on a blank desktop - not exactly a blockbuster rate...

Any suggestions on how to get it working properly? :hmm:

Last edited:

cinder1992

Random failhurricane.
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
cinder1992.blogspot.com
Tried CamStudio, it is completely free and it records to both AVI and Flash movie formats.

Only thing is, I can't seem to get it to record above about 8fps even just on a blank desktop - not exactly a blockbuster rate...

Any suggestions on how to get it working properly? :hmm:

lower your screen resolution. for youtube, 800x600 is usually sufficient.

also, double check the video options and make sure that your not using time lapse.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
lower your screen resolution. for youtube, 800x600 is usually sufficient.

also, double check the video options and make sure that your not using time lapse.

I checked the time-lapse thing but I couldn't find any resolution options.

How do you change the resolution? It only seems to do something big like 1020x1256... :idk:

Shinrar

Reaction score
How do you change the resolution? It only seems to do something big like 1020x1256... :idk:

I might be wrong, but I think the suggestion was to lower the screen resolution on your computer itself. After all, if your computer is only putting out 800x600, the program isn't (or more accurately, shouldn't) record anything larger than that, as it's all blank data.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I might be wrong, but I think the suggestion was to lower the screen resolution on your computer itself. After all, if your computer is only putting out 800x600, the program isn't (or more accurately, shouldn't) record anything larger than that, as it's all blank data.

:facepalm: Aaargh! I just uninstalled the program as a dead loss...

:blink: I didn't get that! I'll try it out...

EDIT (5 minutes later):
Woo-hoo! 25 fps! I love CamStudio!

Thanks Cinder1992 and Shinrar, I'll try reading the posts more carefully next time...

Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is taking the long way home but to record Orbiter movies for the kids school projects, I jacked my video card to a VCR (mastering quality tape...the low grade stuff is just garbage). Once the raw footage is recorded, jacked the VCR back into the PC and edit to your heart's content with Vegas (or editing software of your choice).

Framerate remains constant (whatever Orbiter runs at on the machine in question anyway) since you're not taxing your system resources to record the video as it's playing back (which is the problem with Fraps & other capture software). There's no figuring out the correct time accel/deceleration to get a usable video capture.

Obviously, you need to have a video card with "line in/out" jacks so it won't be the answer for everyone, but it's another option worth considering.