General Question Multi system suport failure

Motherbrain

Reaction score
I have found that add-on solar systems and add-ons like MSS and Orbiter galaxy rarely work with Orbiter in my case....
When ever I try to run an add-on system It tells me "Orbiter has stopped working" and shuts down. They only seem to work one out of ten times and even them I cant make custom scenarios in them without them NEVER working.
Is this just a thing with add-on systems or is something else wrong?

Thanks.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What Orbiter version??
What graphics client?
What errors are in orbiter.log??

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have found that add-on solar systems and add-ons like MSS and Orbiter galaxy rarely work with Orbiter in my case....

For orbiter galxy, note that it only works when you run orbiter windowed. At least it seems to be so on most GPUs, and under Win7 whichever way you turn it. I guess that's what you get for running three graphics engines at the same time in the same process... :shifty: (Orbiter, Irrlicht and Artlav's OpenGL texture generation...)

Also I'm not sure whether MSS is O-2010 compatibe at all...

Is this just a thing with add-on systems or is something else wrong?

It smells a bit of a faulty install, to be honest. The contents of orbiter.log might go a long way to clear things up a bit.

Last edited:

LTrotsky

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Orbiter and Add-Ons

I am new to Orbiter and there are others with much more expertise. However, I think I can contribute here.

1. Not all add-ons are designed to work with the latest version of Orbiter2010, and furthermore, add-ons are not necessarily designed to work with one another. You have to be somewhat careful about which add-ons you install (makes sure they are for the version of Orbiter that you have) and also check to see whether other software is required for the add-on you are attempting to use (like an SDK or even some other add-on, or something). That said, even if you install a couple of add-ons that are for the current version of Orbiter, there is a chance that they are incompatible with one another, and may cause errors or a CTD. The only way to avoid these sorts of things is to test every add-on for stability and add them one at a time, in the order you need them.

2. For the current version of Orbiter, I would use this thread :

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16177

and install only those add-ons listed which you determine you need. According to that thread and the community there, these add-ons are tested and known to work with the current version of Orbiter. This does *not* mean that if you install various add-ons from this list that there will NOT be some kind of other issue due to add-on - add-on compatiblity. But, if you install add-ons one at a time, and check the appropriate add-on box in the "Modules" section of the Launchpad, you can determine where a problem may have come up, and then make a decision about which add-on or set of add-ons you can actually use. Also, keep in mind that the more add-ons you add, the more your computer has to do, and this will slow your framerate down.

Anyway, the above process is now what I am doing. The point is you just can't add add-ons willy-nilly, much as one would like to = many of the add-ons are really good additions and really enhance the game and we would like to run all of them. For example, I really like AeroBrake, but that add-on is not on the list I mentioned above. If I install it anyway, I will have to do some serious testing to make sure it's compatible with the application version and all the other add-ons.

Motherbrain

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice LTrotsky. I suspect that MSS is for an older version of Orbiter. My version is v.100830. I am using the default built in graphics and I cant seem to find the log text file.

Motherbrain

Reaction score
Ok so the log resets itself every time you start and close Orbiter correct?
If this is the right file with the right data great! If not please be patient I'm still very new to this. :lol:

View attachment orbilog.zip

I started a scenario with a ship in a custom system.
Got the usual error, closed Orbiter and then uploaded this log file (if it is the log file...)