Multiplayer Finally being created

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Time Acceleration is independent to every simmer. I would never try to do interplanetary flight due to the time expansion. The ISS would be controlled by the server. The server would have it's own session and orbiter open. I will be allowing anyone that has orbiter to create their own session through it. although i do highly not recommend you time accelerate the server. that can lead to some issues. Time accell is just a option available to anyone. although it may or may not be realistic, if you are realistic, you would not do time accell in the first place.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

Bonanza123d are you the guy that can help the lone rider and accomplish the mission?

Yes, I have the knowledge base and time.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, I have the knowledge base and time.

Mhm. Of course...
Well, I'm looking forward for your first patches and/or working prototype code. Until then, good luck!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Do a search through the forum to see how many multiplayer threads there have been... you'll see what I mean.

He even posted in one of them ;) .

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Time Acceleration is independent to every simmer. I would never try to do interplanetary flight due to the time expansion. The ISS would be controlled by the server. The server would have it's own session and orbiter open. I will be allowing anyone that has orbiter to create their own session through it. although i do highly not recommend you time accelerate the server. that can lead to some issues.
Let us know how well that works out for you. Especially the part where planets will need to be in different places for different users.

Time accell is just a option available to anyone. although it may or may not be realistic, if you are realistic, you would not do time accell in the first place.
Except that in Orbiter, time acceleration is realistic. It keeps the state of everything correct, it's just a way of allowing users (who often don't have several hours to spend doing a real-time ascent to the ISS) to get things done in a reasonable amount of time without sacrificing large amounts of realism.

If you're going to throw out basic newtonian mechanics and the ability to have realistic time acceleration to shorten what would otherwise be an interminably long trip, I don't understand why you're using Orbiter as the foundation for this project.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Why not just forget about time acceleration until you get other features working.

It's not the biggest issue at hand, many other problems need to be solved first.

Also, if there's so many plausible ideas for how time acceleration could work, why not just implement them all and just let the server-admin chose which one to use.

Exempli gratia: you could have the server admin chose the time acceleration level, or you could have one(or more) user that has time acceleration privileges.

Most of what Orbiter multi-player would be used for would be VSA type stuff anyway so we don't need a FPS style "join a server" type of multi-player.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The timescales are so different that one mode of play won't fit all needs. On the one hand, there are time-critical maneuvers with low feedback latency (landing, interplanetary reentry). On the other hand, lots of programmed maneuvers where you can play by e-mail (like in RL, batch upload of commands and batch analysis of telemetry downlink). Unless there are lots of intelligent autopilots, and an ingenious way to reconcile the various time scales, multiplayer won't fly (or will not be interesting to players).

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Is having multiple players controlling a single vessel possible ? It might be interesting to do something like what "Dangerous Waters" has where you can have multiple players in a single vessel, each set to be responsible for something or shareing responsibilities for everything. I can't tell you how many times I've been on an Orbiter mission that I would LOVE to have someone with me who can handle things while I'm checking up on numbers and trajectories and such. The beauty of this setup would be that you wouldn't have to worry about the time accelleration issue (unless one of the players leaves the ship in another ship).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is having multiple players controlling a single vessel possible ? It might be interesting to do something like what "Dangerous Waters" has where you can have multiple players in a single vessel, each set to be responsible for something or shareing responsibilities for everything. I can't tell you how many times I've been on an Orbiter mission that I would LOVE to have someone with me who can handle things while I'm checking up on numbers and trajectories and such. The beauty of this setup would be that you wouldn't have to worry about the time accelleration issue (unless one of the players leaves the ship in another ship).
You'd probably need a vessel that was designed with this capability in mind.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Thanks for the support. I am trying to get everything right.

You got my support dude! Show em what you can do. I hope between you and Face that this is the turning point alot of us have been waiting for. Need any help testing or a clean install remote computer with full access for testing purposes just PM me. I'll get it setup for ya. WinXP/7/Linux

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Aside from the huge problem of time acelleration (which it doesn't quite seem you have completely figured out), what about the little things. How will you cut down on lag, as to make precise maneuvers such as docking possible. I know next to nothing about how making this all work would..er... work, but how do you plan on networking the server and client together (that probably made no sense).

I suggest, if you have the time and skill set, just help face out. He's gotten the furthest out of any of these projects, and could use the help.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Ok. I am about to start the prep work tomorrow. I will not be able to do some of it next week because i have school exams. But everything is fine as the project goes. Things keep adding to themselves to the list and it makes everything more complicated. The first thing to get done is the networking. I will be using TCP and UDP. Ports will be probably be 10087, 10088, 10089. UDP is for the connection to the server. TCP will be text chat and the other connection string for receiving.

A very important thing I will be doing is probably releasing the source code. More details to come.

---------- Post added at 03:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

but how do you plan on networking the server and client together (that probably made no sense).

I have knowledge of TCP and UDP(UDP is questionable)

I suggest, if you have the time and skill set, just help face out. He's gotten the furthest out of any of these projects, and could use the help.

While i have a good skill set, it would be easier to start from scratch. He can help if he would like. He can probably co-develop.

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
While i have a good skill set, it would be easier to start from scratch. He can help if he would like. He can probably co-develop.

Like asking Michael Shumacher to be the number 2 driver.
But good luck anyway and welcome to the disfunctional family of the orbiter-forum. Much intrested on what you produce. :cheers:

Frogisis

innn spaaaaace...ace...ace...!
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.frogisis.com
If there's going to be a big open solar system that everyone's sharing, interplanetary flight is going to be impractical... I think it could only work as something like Minecraft where people build their stations and bases and such and other people can just go check them out whenever they feel like it. I haven't played Minecraft but it seems like that system works well. For longer trips, though, I think you'd have to just agree to use one of the warp drive MFDs.

...Or is that what the OP is proposing? Like, something that plugs into Transx or IMFD and would put you in a certain spot in the trajectory relative to the body you selected as the destination, but without time accelerating the body? For instance, if I want to go check out someone's base on Ganymede, I'd set up the course like normal, so that my PeA at Ganymede is, say, 100k, then in this other MFD I'd press the "Closest Approach" button or select how many seconds into "my" future I wanted to go or whatever, and bang, there I'd be at 100k on that planned trajectory relative to Ganymede, but without moving the moon at all. Then I do my retrograde burn and land like normal.
I guess that's basically the same thing as just using the scenario editor, though, isn't it? Shoot, that might just be the way to do it. There's going to have to be some fudging somewhere.

For more specific, cooperative flights, like trying to race someone to Neptune or something, I think you'd have to set it up with someone beforehand in a separate "room" on the server. I haven't played games online in years, though, so maybe I'm completely out of date.
---
One thing to try in the real time solar system might be an option to make ships "persistent," in that they stay doing what they're doing even when you're not logged in, and then you could check in on them like once a week or something (like if you've ever owned a cactus) playing faster Orbiter sessions in the mean time.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another solution, which is inevitably posted in all of these threads, is to change time acceleration to plain old acceleration. An inherent flaw of that is that MFDs which predict the motion of planets in tandem with that of your craft will be useless, as you whiz along your trajectory while the planet does not.

In many respects, Orbiter is simply too big and too dynamic to support adequate multiplayer the the sense that most of you seem to want. I'd very much like to be proven wrong, but I can't see how it would work and still retain the core functionality of the simulator.