Poll Musicians among us?

How Many Orbiteers consider themselves musicians, and if so, what genre?

• Yes

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
How many Orbiteers consider themselves musicans also?

I myself am a professional bluegrass banjo player.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I use to play a guitar before...now just only cheap PC keyboard...

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I don't consider myself a musician, but I could play the trombone as of mid 2004. I haven't touched one since, but I could probably play Mary had a Little Lamb with a few minutes to warm up.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am a lousy guitar player and former synthesizer and even more lousy piano player since my Atari ST days. I never played in a real band, but had a few shows from the time I went to music school.

I lately also discovered, that my skills as flute player improved by me not doing this for almost 20 years (It took me only 20 minutes to learn playing the tune of "Sturmnacht" with a flute I found in my attic). I can also play some simple stuff on drums, but I am sure - anybody could do this stuff, if they just want to. Drums had been part of the music subject at high school.

I am not completely without talent, but I leave the music business to people who are better at it. I just enjoy it, despite being lousy.

My genre is mostly rock related... I learned playing Guitar with AC/DC and Judas Priest, but I have less trouble playing Punk/Hardcore stuff... ;)

streb2001

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I play english traditional music on button accordion and english and scottish trad on fiddle (both pictured in my avatar). I also play bass guitar and sing in an occasional rock covers band with friends just for fun. I am far from virtuoso but I am not bad.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I've been playing percussion for about 10 years now. Currently I'm a member of one of the best college marching bands in the US, The Ohio State University Marching Band.

Last edited:

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I used to play piano, but like skiiing for snowboarding, switched to guitar to be more cool. It didn't work, though, ha.

I also sing, write a few songs and accompany myself on mouth harp.

Mlesnoski

Герой Со
Reaction score
I am a pianist. Mostly Classical.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I played Alto Saxaphone for 3 years, but then started playing the Bassoon, which I played for 5. I stopped playing when I no longer had the time to take a music class. Also, I was borrowing the Bassoon from my school, and when I left that school, I had to give it back.

Unforunately, I dont play anything at the moment, but I'd pick the Bassoon up in a heartbeat if I was able.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I play trumpet in a high school band. This is my fourth year playing trumpet. (started first year of junior high)

Performance: "The Amazing Innovation" based off of "The Planets" by Gustav Holst
Our band plus what most people might call a 'color guard' (we don't :p).
Performance has four parts. The mats on the field are large pictures of planets. Btw, marching on real grass(this performance) isn't as easy as astro turf.(our field) :p

We later added more props on the field and slightly changed a few things. Here's a performance on our own field. I don't know who took the video and there's obviously more audience noise at this performance.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmf39v86-4"]YouTube - The Sterling Silver Spectacular 2008[/ame]

Btw, we're currently working to buy some of the only Xylosynths to be in the United States. (some other bands around the country may start this too) They take the place of the percussion keyboard instruments. Our current keyboard instruments are getting worn out and need to be replaced. The Xylosynths are cheaper,(though we're struggling to try to pay for them) more resistant to weather,(marching band), work realistically,(much like most professional keyboards, they sound right when you play them harder/softer/whatever), and sound 'perfect', likely even outdoors.(normal instruments don't sound quite right outdoors for the power required to make the keys make enough noise and just general sound distortion)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I voted no. My current instrument:
LImage.aspx
:
I can actually play a few nursery rhymes on it for the kids, but that is about all.

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Classical guitar. But mostly songs like beatles... michelle, yesterday, i will, while...gently weeps, and i love her, ... and other mellow tunes like, theme from mash, theme from dr zhivago, over the rainbow, dust in the wind, needle and the damage done, vincent, greensleeves, happy together, most christmas songs, and, well whatever I happen to hear at the time. can't read a note.

Last edited:

Moonwalker

Reaction score
I started to learn piano in 1987, and changed over to keyboard in 1992 until 1994. I stopped at that time and never touched a single key again by now. I'm thinking of playing again for a few years but little time does not allow me.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I play classical piano. I'm not too bad, although I tend to have problems with very fast pieces.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Voted no. Harmonica doesn't count, neither does 3 chords on a guitar, out of practice with trumpet and can barely read sheet music anymore.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
I'm playing trombone now (this is my 5th year), I played the piano for 6, I can play drums if I have to and I've been singing with a choir for 7 years and have been on two international concert tours with it (China and New Zealand, I just missed out on going to europe too :()

I'll leave out harmonica, melodica, recorder and ukelele, since I never learnt them properly.

So yeah, I'd say I'm a fairly musical person.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I forgot to mention it in my previous post, but I can play most Rock Band songs on Hard on the bass. That doesn't count though:p.