My Space-Glider

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
First of all, sorry for my english...I'm from Germany :p

I started to build a low-cost project of a simpit.
What you can see is a half Space-Shuttle and a half Delta-Glider Cockpit.
Because of the free space in my room, I decided to "cut" the original Space-Shuttle Cockpit and build a one-seat shuttle.
The instruments got their look of the Delta Glider.

First I made a model in 1:10

In order to get the right dimensions, the model helped me a lot.
The wood I used is very cheap plywood, which were rests of bigger ones. 1,68 $ every piece. :) Cheap but... very instabil when I drill in the screws.. How ever

That's the model in real dimension. I drawed with a pencil the follwing panels, cut it out and put thinner plywood as panels on it.

The next step was to build the panels including buttons, switches, and so on. My problem was: I used wood for the panels. No glas, no cnc, no laser printed labels, etc.
So, I never can use a good backlight for the buttons. And any label is printed on seperate paper. It looks like semi-profi, but I told you, I was looking for a very cheap version. :(

I also decided to build a roof in orer to get some panels overhead. Remember that the roof isnt really finished. I will build it completely close.

In order to get the 5V for the Interface and the Power for backlights, LED, etc. I build in an adjustable Power supply. The Keyboard I/O will get only 5V, made with some electronic.

That's what the simpit actually looks like. The next steps will be:

- finish the switches, buttons, LED
- build the pit on roof and the sides
- connecting the electronic
- put in 3 TFT in connection with TH2GO
- and so on..

I didn't used some plans, except the model, for electronic or the connecting or how it looks like with 3 TFT.
I only improvise and the best way to continue is when I stand in front of the simpit :)

To be continued...

Dominik

Attachments

• 28072009604.jpg
    28072009604.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 29072009605.jpg
    29072009605.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 31

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:10: :speakcool:

Very nice!

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
thanks! :) this was the easy part of building 'til yet...

---------- Post added 08-10-2009 at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-09-2009 at 11:55 PM ----------

Now I got a very very nice car seat for the simpit,
but, showing at the model, I don't know how to assemble the seat, so that you can get in the cockpit.. hm :p

My first idea was the same like the seat in the Space Shuttle.
But first I have to wait some days.
My basement was full of water after a stormy day. And now the upperside of the wood is a little wet.. argh

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
small step ladder !!

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
;)
Like the escape ladder in the DG?
My idea is a rail like in a car but longer, where you can slide the seat in order to get in...

To get in from the side would be difficult because of the construction.
hm, any other ideas?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A recliner seat, then crawl in.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice job! Look forward to seeing more. . .

The seat problem was one of the design considerations that made me go with a half-cockpit rather than a single seat version. Since the car seats normally come with rails that come with limited movement, there are a few ways you could do this. 1) Mount the side console on casters with a hinge so that it can swing out, then just step in. 2) Use the step-stool idea or build steps then just crawl over the side jet-fighter-style (if you have enough headroom). 3) Use a horizontal bar on your rear supports and 'swing in' from the back with the seat fully reclined and rearward. You'd have to beef up the back to support your weight.

HTH

BTW, where did you get the switch guards?

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Thanks!!

Well, I guess I will build the seat on a rail...mh.. We will see :)

The switch guards are selfmade!
I took thin aluminium rods from the market and bend them in the right position. very very easy! You can also take LED mountings for the holes, because it looks a bit better then.

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Today I wired the electronic. Every panel with a connector to the Interfaceboard.

Next I have to build the buttons for the MFD. So, the both holes in front of the cockpit will carry the TFT for the MFD.
I will put unlabeled buttons for this and myke it the unconventional way.
Only printing a label for all MFD for every Button.
I also use three switches: SHIFT, ALT and CTRL. So, first you switch on SHIFT and then you can toogle between the MFD functions.
Very easy. And in front of you on the panel will be the labels for the MFD which is in use. Like a chart:
MFD 1 / MFD 2 / MFD 3 / etc.
"BUTTON 1 / Option 1 / Option 2 / Option 3 / etc.

Will be the easiest way.

I also build in next day the seat, which is from a Ford Galaxy with armrest :). Got the same color like the simpit.

Gonna take some pics tomorrow

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Great idea with the ejection seat, but...
the ceiling isn't high enough to eject without headache :lol::rofl:

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Now the TFT is in...

unfortunately I got the wrong meassure so you can the the metal frame of the TFT.. :( how ever.
It's the TFT from a laptop which will be supported by the laptop in connection with the PC over network!

Left and right are no speakers. This are fans which I will use in order to get a nice air condition on a long flight :)

So the panels under the MFD were thought to put in the buttons for the MFD, but the TFT is to big behind the panels and so I can't use buttons behind. So they will be maintenance work.

Next part will be the rest panels, backlight in the simpit, the seat and the roof...

Robb Bates

Reaction score
Looking pretty awesome!

What's the safety cover switch on the left? Undock?

Robb

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Yes!
I superiored that it would be the best way to prevent an un-dock when there are crew members in the lock! :lol:

By the way: The safety switches are from the german main battle tank Leopard 2.
In 2003 I was Tank commander, so I borrowed some switches :))))

Robb Bates

Reaction score
I have one of those same safety switches that I just HAVE to use somewhere, but using a on-off toggle switch makes it difficult when switching vessels mid-simulation. I'm going with momentary-off-momentary rocker switches for most things. I still will find some use for that switch since it just looks cool.

Robb

Kilo

Reaction score
Website
www.Kilo-Soft.de
Yeah, the switch with the safety is more like a button.
So when you use a switch with the safety, the safety has to be still open.
I also used such a switch, but only for the second power supply which is used for the backlight in the cockpit. So when I touch accidentally the switch, it would be not so bad.

Ok, next pics:

The seat is still dirty. I have to wash the stuff. Uah...
Also the meassure of the pit is very small. The seat fits exactly in. And when you push the seat back, it's enough space to get in from the sides! :speakcool:

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
It would be really cool if you could lift the whole cockpit, or just the front part, to get in. That would certainly be more true to entering the delta glider through the docking port :)