Updates NASA Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap)

MattBaker

Reaction score
I'd like Elon Musk to perform SpaceX first manned flight :)

Yuri Gagarin doing the first Soyuz flight would have been great too, right?

"OK, we have these extremely skilled pilots, who did hours and hours of testing with this vehicle."
"Meh, who else?"
"Our CEO, whose biggest skill are stuttered speaches."
"Deal!"

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Leonid Brejnev would be a better analogy :lol:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org

"OK, we have these extremely skilled pilots, who did hours and hours of testing with this vehicle."
"Meh, who else?"
"Our CEO, whose biggest skill are stuttered speaches."
"Deal!"

It all depends really. Yes a very experienced astronaut would be a better choice especially to gain better quality feedback that is relevant for future missions.

However, Politics does not equal reality. It may indeed be better for Musk to go up on the first flight as one of the three to generate the additional headlines because congress...

It is a tough call. And would be easier if Congress was not so eager to pay for Soyuz flights at the expense of jobs at home.

Unstung

Reaction score
Popular Mechanics: "Is the Relationship Between NASA and Private Space About to Sour?
The White House request for $821 million to support the commercial crew program was trimmed to $696 million.

So far, the private space experiment has worked pretty well. Two companies, SpaceX and Orbital, are delivering cargo to the International Space Station using hardware they designed without strict NASA oversight. The effort to replace the space shuttle with a new private-sector vehicle is also going well, with the three companies hitting milestones and setting dates for flights. But the true test of how much NASA can really change from a spacecraft developer to a customer of flight services will start this year.

Relying on private companies to make and operate spacecraft is intended to break the bureaucratic logjams that plague major government programs like NASA, where delays and cost increases are expected. And the United States needs a way to get people into orbit soon. After all, it costs $70 million per seat to fly astronauts in the Russian Soyuz spacecraft, as NASA has been doing since the space shuttle retired in 2011. But there are reasons to fear that NASA's private space program could morph into the same old big-government program. This year is the tipping point—and it started off with a thud, as Congress denied funding to the new way and upheld the status quo SLS program with a major cash infusion.

Funding "One and a Half" Companies

The budget news does not bode well for the effort. Any reduction is bad news for the three companies vying for the next contract, which is called Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCAP). This next stage is intended not just for development of a spacecraft, but to actually send them into orbit. It calls for at least one flight test to verify the spacecraft can dock to the International Space Station, plus two to six manned missions carrying NASA astronauts to meet its crew rotation requirements.

Here's catch No. 1: NASA has not decided if it can fund more than one program. It intends to cut one of the three in what government procurement people call a "downselect." It's a grim and tense time for the companies, which are laboring to meet mission milestones as NASA deliberates. NASA officials, including director Charles Bolden, have spoken publicly about funding two companies, or funding one and partially funding another (what Bolden calls "funding one and a half companies"). The decision should come sometime this summer.

[...]

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well this hasn't been discussed at all here on O-F, but after several weeks of false starts (probably to wait for all obstacles to get through, like the budget from Congress) it looks like today may be the day that the CCtCap contracts are announced. Rumors differ on which company is getting NASA's contract to fly astronauts to the ISS - one say that its SpaceX and Sierra Nevada, another source say that Boeing is in the lead.....

Hmm.... :hmm:

Unstung

Reaction score
Well this hasn't been discussed at all here on O-F, but after several weeks of false starts (probably to wait for all obstacles to get through, like the budget from Congress) it looks like today may be the day that the CCtCap contracts are announced. Rumors differ on which company is getting NASA's contract to fly astronauts to the ISS - one say that its SpaceX and Sierra Nevada, another source say that Boeing is in the lead.....

Hmm.... :hmm:
From my limited knowledge, I'm hoping Dream Chaser will win a contract. Boeing is established and playing very safe with a conservative design. Meanwhile, SpaceX has new and very audacious ideas. Elon Musk is already set on developing a crew capsule regardless of whether SpaceX wins the contract. The benefits of Sierra Nevada's spaceplane (with heritage) over a traditional capsule have been made obvious and the vehicle is "rocket agnostic", so SpaceX might also benefit from that. The Atlas V rocket has an uncertain future, plus using solid rocket boosters on manned launch vehicle irks me.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, looks like it's today!

Stephen Clark ‏@StephenClark1
NASA: "Major announcement today about astronaut transport to the International Space Station." 4pm presser at KSC. Buckle your seat belts.

William Harwood ‏@cbs_spacenews
CCtCAP: NASA to make "major" commercial crew announcement during 4 p.m. EDT briefing at the Kennedy Space Center, agency officials say.

Somehow I start to get worried about the Atlas V launch shortly after this announcement (article from yours truly currently in work ;))...... :shifty:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, looks like it's today!

Stephen Clark ‏@StephenClark1
NASA: "Major announcement today about astronaut transport to the International Space Station." 4pm presser at KSC. Buckle your seat belts.

William Harwood ‏@cbs_spacenews
CCtCAP: NASA to make "major" commercial crew announcement during 4 p.m. EDT briefing at the Kennedy Space Center, agency officials say.

Somehow I start to get worried about the Atlas V launch shortly after this announcement (article from yours truly currently in work ;))...... :shifty:

RonDVouz

Reaction score
The Wall St. Journal reported this morning that Boeing's CST-100 is a lock.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
The Wall St. Journal reported this morning that Boeing's CST-100 is a lock.

Just over 3 hours until we know for sure... and I'm pretty sure that SpaceX would still pursue Dragon V2 even without NASA's backing.

RonDVouz

Reaction score
Just over 3 hours until we know for sure... and I'm pretty sure that SpaceX would still pursue Dragon V2 even without NASA's backing.

That's what Musk said. There's a possibility that the contract could go to Boeing and SpaceX, and I think DARPA will adopt the Sierra Nevada design as they really want a spaceplane.

But honestly I think that Boeing came more prepared to this table. I also think if SpaceX hadn't redesigned the capsule in the last minute they would have stood a better chance and getting the single contract, shutting Boeing out.

But at this point I'd put money on CST-100.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I'm kinda rooting for the Dream Chaser.

Water recovered capsules are so 20th century.

RonDVouz

Reaction score
I'm kinda rooting for the Dream Chaser.

I think DARPA is gonna take it.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 PM ----------

Dragons are designed for powered landings on dry land.

System unproven.

Sorry if parachute landings are boring, at least they're proven safe. I also feel that this was one aspect that threw SpaceX behind in the race. Had they unveiled with a conventional landing system, gotten the contract, started to fly to ISS and THEN redesigned with this system that might have given them the time to perfect it.

MattBaker

Reaction score

Dragon V2 is supposed to land "at some place" with the accuracy of a helicopter. CST-100 is supposed to come down on land, probably White Sands. Dream Chaser is able to land on some runway, I think there was even talk about commercial airports but probably just the SLF.

I dunno where you see water recovered capsules...:shrug:

RonDVouz

Reaction score
Dragon V2 is supposed to land "at some place" with the accuracy of a helicopter. CST-100 is supposed to come down on land, probably White Sands. Dream Chaser is able to land on some runway, I think there was even talk about commercial airports but probably just the SLF.

I dunno where you see water recovered capsules...:shrug:

Probably thinking of Orion.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
Dragons are designed for powered landings on dry land.

So does the CST-100 also landing on ground, and the Dream Chaser.

I do really hope there letting the Dream Chaser in the program. She is just an nice looking spaceplane, modern but also classic in a point, and the DC is just not only popular in the US, but by more space agencies in the world.

But what do you guys (and ladies maybe?) think?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
System unproven.

Sorry if parachute landings are boring, at least they're proven safe. I also feel that this was one aspect that threw SpaceX behind in the race. Had they unveiled with a conventional landing system, gotten the contract, started to fly to ISS and THEN redesigned with this system that might have given them the time to perfect it.

What's unproven? The actual landing technique, or the systems needed for landing? I don't see how the SuperDrago's an issue. To my knowledge, SpaceX's not going full powered flight for the initial NASA missions (if it gets them), if at all.

10 minutes to go!