Updates NASA New Horizons Mission Updates

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
My thought was really something more throw away - a small spherical probe, insulated with aerogel, with a battery, a small reaction wheel for orientation, a camera, and a low power radio.

Definitively, just a camera, a spectrometer, a short-range antenna, and a battery to power them for 6 hours or so. Something like the first probes, but miniaturized (and much much lighter). A few kilograms of mass budget, no more. Not sure if a reaction wheel would be the best in this case (those discs must be a bit heavy), maybe cold gas micro thrusters and a very small pressurized tank would do it.

Unstung

Reaction score
Indeed, but the definition of a planet is arbitrary. I personally don't like the first and third criteria, mostly because they can't apply to exoplanets.

Ok OF, now I am a little dissappointed. One of the probably most famous Star Control 2 references, and nobody gets it? And it's even in the context of talks about an alien base on Pluto (well, charon technically, but the link shouldn't be too tough). Oh well, maybe the game is a bit old by now. Let me see what I can dig up for clarification... ah, here we go, the conversation with Captain Fwiffo on Pluto:

Star Control 2 - Captain Fwiffo (part 1) - YouTube
Off-topic, but I wasn't aware of Star Control 2 until your post introduced me to it. There's a free HD version of the game that I downloaded and started playing.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Nah, if we go back, we should aim for orbit.

Hmmm... anyone seen a small nuclear reactor we can use for a power source?

There is the SAFE-400 space nuclear reactor under R & D:

Safe Affordable Fission Emgine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_Affordable_Fission_Engine

Out of 400 kW thermal it produces 100 kW electrical energy. They are expected to have a power to weight ratio of 200 kWe per kilo. After a BOTE, I estimate using a SAFE-400 reactor to power electric propulsion, we can get an orbiter there at a transit time of 3 to 4 years.

However, as far as I know the SAFE reactors have not been tested with actual nuclear material. The testing reports I've seen only discuss simulations where external heat is supplied and they confirm it produces the expected amount of electrical energy.

Bob Clark

K_Jameson

Reaction score
A side note: i think that the similarities between Pluto and Triton, both in appearance and composition, will never be highlighted enough. Pluto can provide decisive informations in support to the common theory that identifies Triton itself as a KBO object.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just posting the image directly:

nh-nix-hydra-no-captions1.jpg

The color is enhanced, so it's probably not as red, but still, that's spectacular.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How high are those mountains?

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The farther out we go, the more surprises we get ... Imagine what we'd find on Sedna! :)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Nice pic from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33657447

Flowing ice and a surprising extended haze are among the newest discoveries from NASA’s New Horizons mission, which reveal distant Pluto to be an icy world of wonders.

“We knew that a mission to Pluto would bring some surprises, and now — 10 days after closest approach — we can say that our expectation has been more than surpassed,” said John Grunsfeld, NASA’s associate administrator for the Science Mission Directorate. “With flowing ices, exotic surface chemistry, mountain ranges, and vast haze, Pluto is showing a diversity of planetary geology that is truly thrilling."

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/News-Center/News-Article.php?page=20150724

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There is a place on Pluto called the "Cthulhu Region". How cool is that! The end of the Solar System, where all the Lovecraftian monsters dwell....

_84480363_84480362.jpg

And this is awesome. Possibly new desktop image.

_84480293_84480288.jpg

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Cthulhu Region, not to be messed with, probably close to the Mountains Of..

N.