AMSO New AMSO version 1.22 released

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I asked him some time ago if there are plans for Orbiter 2016. This was his response:

Hum... that answer shows that he hasn't looked into 2016.
Terrain for 2016 is good out of the box, so no need for newer graphics. And all of the Moon is available.

What could be problematic are the EVA guys and cargo spawning on uneven terrain. So if someone from AMSO is reading this, please take a look at 2016 and do some coding tests :thumbup:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Terrain for 2016 is good out of the box, so no need for newer graphics. And all of the Moon is available.

What could be problematic are the EVA guys and cargo spawning on uneven terrain. So if someone from AMSO is reading this, please take a look at 2016 and do some coding tests :thumbup:

Why does the answer show that he hasn't looked into it? IMHO it would suggest that Alain Capt indeed looked at it, but just doesn't think it is worth his time.

Is the thought of a senior developer that doesn't want to move out of his comfort zone really so surprising? I think it neatly fits the observation of other devs like David413 or DanSteph. Just move enough of their cheese on a thing that they did for free, and you will see them throwing in the towel. No surprise here IMHO.

pappy2

Reaction score
Please note, the Apollo 11 scenarios do not work with the new reflections feature added in
D3D9Client version R16.7. Alain will fix this in the near future.:)

Why does the answer show that he hasn't looked into it? IMHO it would suggest that Alain Capt indeed looked at it, but just doesn't think it is worth his time.

Is the thought of a senior developer that doesn't want to move out of his comfort zone really so surprising? I think it neatly fits the observation of other devs like David413 or DanSteph. Just move enough of their cheese on a thing that they did for free, and you will see them throwing in the towel. No surprise here IMHO.

Perhaps also that particular events make the mind busy elsewhere .....

author=ACSoft link=topic
"...Sorry, I may have missed this setup.

But rest assured, I will check and if ever I will publish an update as soon as I will be able to do it, either by the end of next week, back from the hospital (There I write to you from my bed hospital)..."

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14358.25#quickreply

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Perhaps also that particular events make the mind busy elsewhere .....

author=ACSoft link=topic
"...Sorry, I may have missed this setup.

But rest assured, I will check and if ever I will publish an update as soon as I will be able to do it, either by the end of next week, back from the hospital (There I write to you from my bed hospital)..."

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/index.php?topic=14358.25#quickreply

That reply was in regards to a different 2010 D3D9Client IIRC, not regarding a 2016 version of AMSO, right? There really is no need for an explanation why ACSoft has not updated his awesome addon for 2016 yet.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Why does the answer show that he hasn't looked into it?
He mentions redoing landed vessels to simulate terrain...
But 2016 highres terrain is better than AMSO custom meshes, so there's no need to redo them....

So converting for 2016 is much simpler than stated. That's why I mentioned looking into this again.
With 2016 you get all the Apollo sites "for free".

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
He mentions redoing landed vessels to simulate terrain...
The thing is that 2016 highres terrain is better than AMSO custom meshes, so there's no need to redo them....

Not necessarily.

You will sure agree that AMSO is a quality addon, and I'm pretty sure ACSoft wants to deliver either the same or better quality to his user base. This means that scenarios just work without too much fiddling for the user. The old terrain meshes were done in combination with the vessels and the mission it represents. Everything "clicked" together well enough.

To achieve this in the new environment, you have to get yourself familiar with it. And this is where I think the comfort zone has to be left.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So converting for 2016 is much simpler than stated. That's why I mentioned looking into this again.
How do you know? Have you had access to the source code?

With 2016 you get all the Apollo sites "for free"
That might be true, but that doesn't mean nothing else needs to be touched!

AMSO is one of the higher quality add-ons, so I fully agree with Face about "...ACSoft wants to deliver either the same or better quality to his user base..."

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I've made 3 extra landing sites for AMSO so I guess I know what I'm talking about, there's nothing special to it ;)
Actually the 2010 "terrain" is a pain and takes days of trial and error. 2016 is much better for this sort of thing.

But yes, it's a comfort zone thing I completely agree.

Recently I updated the Pluto texture for Microsoft Space Simulator, and that was a lot of trouble because of the 256 color palettes!
Of course it looks crap, but anyway I still did it... because I feel comfortable with that sim.

Last edited:

ShuttleCommander

Reaction score
That reply was in regards to a different 2010 D3D9Client IIRC, not regarding a 2016 version of AMSO, right? There really is no need for an explanation why ACSoft has not updated his awesome addon for 2016 yet.

Yes, those quotes were regarding AMSO for Orbiter 2010 and the new D3D9Cient and the reflections from surfaces such as the visors. Alain missed doing AS-506 but he is in the hospital and will fix Apollo 11 after he gets out.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Recently I updated the Pluto texture for Microsoft Space Simulator, and that was a lot of trouble because of the 256 color palettes!
Of course it looks crap, but anyway I still did it... because I feel comfortable with that sim.

Wow, you mean from 1994? Is that thing still around? Or do you mean the recent tablet port?

Sorry for hijack, but had to ask.

Last edited:

barrygolden

Reaction score
I was able to meet with gattis for about 6 hrs Saturday and he was able to get D3D9 working for me and its like a new orbiter. Simply amazing !
I did see he's surface terrain in 2016 and its out of this world and I'm looking to load that up as well. AMSO would be super in there. I just learned to add new landing zones and have toyed with Apollo 21 and 22.
4th rock I do miss the white CM you did and Skylab doesn't work in D3D9 but working on that.

ShuttleCommander

Reaction score
My little addon for the 3 Apollo Lunar Landing Missions in AMSO version 1.22 which updates the description files for AS-506, AS-510 and AS-512.

View attachment Scenarios.zip

Extract to your base Orbiter folder. You can then go to LROC and copy in the coordinates for the LEM which are in each description following the steps below.

LROC:
https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?exte...197&proj=10&layers=NrBsFYBoAZIRnpEoAsjZwLrc0A

Click where indicated here,

https://puu.sh/DqwHA/dc1a4e9501.png

Enter LAT,LON where indicated here:

https://puu.sh/DqwNm/e62c1ac342.png

Like this:

https://puu.sh/DqwSA/e04a7afedf.png

Then click on GO and zoom in to 50m using the + sign in the top right.
The Eagle descent stage is in the middle of the screen.

I hope you like it.:)

Last edited:

pappy2

Reaction score
EDIT:
your script .zip file is not valid.

EXTRAORDINARY "ShuttleCommander"

APOLLO 11

Last edited:

pappy2

Reaction score
Hello "Shuttle Commander"
I can not unzip it, I have an error message telling me that it is empty.

ShuttleCommander

Reaction score
Hello "Shuttle Commander"
I can not unzip it, I have an error message telling me that it is empty.

That is very strange. I have downloaded it from my link and unzipped it 3 times. Do you have WinZip or Winrar? Try right clicking on it and selecting Extract to Scenarios/

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
This folder contains Apollo 11 mission scenarios.

Members	
Neil A. Armstrong
Michael Collins
Edwin E. Aldrin, Jr.

Callsign	
CSM: Columbia
LM: Eagle
On surface: Tranquility Base

Landing site	Mare Tranquillitatis
0.67408°N 23.47297°E

Surface EVAs	1
EVA duration	2 hours, 31 minutes 40 seconds