Question New bike worries (view the thread before polling)

Which bike do you reccomend!

• Keeway Speed

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Sym XS125

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Kymco Pulsar

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Im looking at buying a motorbike soon, and have narrowed my choice down to 3 choices:

1) a Keeway Speed, which is overall the best bike here, but costs £2800 (plus fuel and tax) over two years (this price is the bike itself (paid for over two years) and the insurance premiums for two full years. servicing costs are of little concern, since they will be the same for every bike (roughly) and it has a 2 year warranty

2) a Sym XS125, which is similar to the Speed, but not quite as nice, the Speed is about £600 better, but this bike has cheaper insurance and a longer warranty, having 3 year warranty, and only costing £2500 over two years (plus fuel and tax). i really prefer the Keeway, but the practical side of things shines on this paticular model

ending the brand new bikes:
3) a used Kymco Pulsar LX, which is even cheaper than both of these, but has no warranty, and these Kymcos are known for having poor build quality, and rusting quickly, becoming far less valuable, and more expensive to run (maintenance costs and spare parts)

now, between the first two (since ive almost discredited the used bike now), the Keeway is better in every way, its more powerful, has more torque, is lighter, and is a more rider-friendly bike, since it has a gear indicator whereas the Sym doesnt )and i feel that a gear indicator will be very important to a new rider), but only costs another £300 over two years, with the expense of having a years less warranty, so you basically trade a years warranty and £300 to have a much better bike.

and the kymco requires to be bought outright, whereas both new bikes have 0% interest credit, so i pay for them monthly over two years (each is £50 and £47 per month respectivley)

now, money is rather tight for me, but all of these are affordable for all the forseen, any unforseen costs will make the assumptions on price invalid, which is why the used Kymco has been almost discredited already, since buying parts will probably be VERY expensive. the two year mark is the lifetime of most parts on the bike, and i feel that i would spend far more money on this bike

my final consideration is that i will be doing an incredible amount of miles on these bikes. my university (college if your'e an american reading this) course demands a 30 mile round trip 3 days a week (will become 2 days next year), and my work requires a 17 mile round trip 2 days a week (though overtime will cost another 17 miles per day of overtime). this means that over a year, assuming that i have 26 weeks of university, and work two days a week, i will do at least 4,100 miles per year, possibly 5000 including my social and domestic usage, which is quite a long way (i could do from the north-west of england to cape canaveral with my annual mileage, excluding social use)

what do you guys think? my decision now is about 60% keeway Speed, 35% Sym XS and 5% Kymco, but lest see what you guys think, better yet,i just decided to do a poll on this thread as well, please read my post before voting!

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

ok, some info:

ive voted for the Keeway, because its my favourite so far, and i should hold some sway in my own argument :p

ill just re-iterate that the keeway's specifications are better all round by almost 10%, thats in terms of power (bhp), torque (Nm), weight (its lighter) style (by opinion) and functionality (by opinion, since it seems more rider friendly with its gear indicator)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
wow, forgot about this thread, guess ill post a little personal news: (almost like a mini-blog)

ive placed a deposit on the Sym XS 125, for one killer reason: MONEY

it turned out incredibly cheap to get the sym, at least until i can get some no-claims bonus to my name and get the cost of the insurance down, however, i cant have it till the end of March, when MotoGB imports their next batch of bikes from china

and ive just discovered that to ride a motorcycle in the UK, you only need the legally required protective gear (ive got helmet, jacket, gloves and some good boots, as well as skiing salapettes to keep the rain out, and probably give a LITTLE protection), then hold a provisional road licence (i already had one for learning to drive) and complete a CBT (Compulsory basic training), which means that their is no formal practical or theory tests involved (which explains why alot of young motorcyclists ride like total :censored: all the time, giving motorcycles a bad name.

im getting really excited now, i have my training on Sunday, and soon ill have my very own bike!

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 PM ----------

some pics of the 2012 model (i think its the new model at least)

xs125.jpg

XS.jpg

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The black one looks nice but I'm sceptic about chineese bikes. Haven't you considered used european or japaneese bike?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It looks like a BMW from 20 years ago, do you really think this is worth the money?

Also, I am now not that much up too speed with motorcycles... but I can't vote for any of them. I just looked through it. Yes, they are relatively cheap. Point taken. They are made in China and Taiwan. which explains a lot of it. But really, shouldn't you also look for the tiny detail of "home turf"? Now, please don't buy a British motorcycle, these had been banned from the planet for being the heaviest thing you can press of metal.

What I rather mean is: They look very cheap, and even if not every one of them rusts under your astern as you sit on it, things will fail eventually. How likely is it that you get proper spare parts? It is like exotic cars - unless you buy a Lada, you have to pray that somebody knows how to get spare parts, especially if you need them in less than 30 days delivery. Also I can't talk about your skills as mechanic. maybe you rate higher on the McGyver scale as I do. But I would feel very uneasy if I would not know a garage nearby, that can help me with the tougher problems.

I think something more European would then be a better choice if you plan for more than 1 year, even if you can for a new motorcycle calculate with 500-1000 more in that size.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I still got my 1990 MZ ETZ 251 and it's in nice shape. I'm second owner and have it for 10 years. I know it lacks power at low RPMs but for me during summer it's the best way to travel

PA120004.JPG

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I still got my 1990 MZ ETZ 251 and it's in nice shape. I'm second owner and have it for 10 years. I know it lacks power at low RPMs but for me during summer it's the best way to travel

Well a good choice, the MZ ETZ series is still one of the most popular motorbikes in Northern Germany according to a poll in regional TV... it even defeated Münch and Horex.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Münch and Horex were absent in Poland during 90'. MZ (151 and 251) were quite popular and in early 2000 price was so low I couldn't resist. It turned out I don't need nothing newer because this thing fits me perfectly.

@Grover: I hope Sym XS 125 will serve you well. Practice as much as you can to grasp finest details of handling so you can ride safe :D

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The bikes are cheap yes, and not as film as, say, a YBR, but the sun comes with a 3 year warranty, and parts are stored in the country by MotoGB, ready to he supplies to their shops and customers. And there is a garage near my home, walking distance in fact, and any simple problem might get fixed by my dad who has a bit of experience maintaining bikes this size.