Gaming New Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Does somebody figured out if it supports VR in the release version?
I can't find a clear official statement...

.. ah maybe not at launch..:

Will Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Have VR Support?

Yes, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator Jörg Neumann has said that VR is a "high priority" for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, following fan feedback.

It may not be available at launch, but there is a strong ambition to have it feature in this game.
Source

Then the next question will be, what are the hardware requirements for VR... :hmm:

Last edited:

LowEarthOrbit

Orbinautnautnaut
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it'll manage to keep up with the realism. The graphics themselves look amazing as well. I heard you'll be able to find even your own home in the simulator. I think you're able to sign up to become a tester, but I'm not sure. :thumbup:

Marijn

Reaction score

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW the physical copies will only be available for purchase in Europe, although I suppose other users could have them shipped internationally if they really wanted to avoid the 90 GB download. 90 GB isn't all that unusual for AAA games these days, either -- check out https://gamerant.com/pc-games-file-size-hd-space-biggest-huge/.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
BTW the physical copies will only be available for purchase in Europe, although I suppose other users could have them shipped internationally if they really wanted to avoid the 90 GB download. 90 GB isn't all that unusual for AAA games these days, either -- check out https://gamerant.com/pc-games-file-size-hd-space-biggest-huge/.

Every time CoD MW has an update it's somewhere between 50/80 GB. For an update..

In other news:
https://fselite.net/news/cgn-dev-shares-progress-update-on-737-classic/

Newcomer developer CGN Dev has shared some new progress for their upcoming 737 Classic, which is due to release for Prepar3D and Microsoft Flight Simulator. The new development update focuses on the FMC and some other areas of the cockpit’s modelling.

This makes me happy :)

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Microsoft Flight Simulator is now available for preorder on Steam, w00t! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250410/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator/

Since I much prefer Steam to the Microsoft Store (Microsoft Store apps can get wonky file permissions and refuse to open sometimes, I've had issues with that), I cancelled my preorder on the Microsoft Store and preordered in Steam instead. :tiphat:

EDIT:
In addition, Microsoft has confirmed that VR support will be available this fall, too, although only for the upcoming HP G2 Reverb VR headset yet at the first VR launch.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
FlightSimulator.exe has stopped working.

Thats all I'm getting so far, and I nearly got up early to install it.
I'll give it a fourth reinstall, then wait for the patches.

Edit: set to run as admin, didn't help.

BBC has noticed.

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I'll wait till the main hype is a bit over, and the product has matured a bit.
It's all very promosing, but personally I want some high quality payware aircraft to fly in for example.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The Steam discussion page has this:
Posting privileges: Only group moderators and officers are allowed to post in this forum.

Looks like they are a bit overloaded.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not their finest hour, or two.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Seeing a few comments like that, that the launcher and general architecture aren't designed very well / aren't designed how most Steam users would expect.

The actual simulation, though, looks top notch - when you finally get into it.

Blake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In the process of installing now, I expect it to take most of the day.

One tip I've seen is to make sure Windows is up to date on everything. That didn't help me much, as the startup/install process hung about four times before it finally worked.

I'm also running through Steam, so it would be interesting to know if Window Store users are having a better time of it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Given it quite a few goes now, just gets to the press any key screen then FlightSimulator...has stopped working.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its starting to feel vaguely familiar.

Well, went to uninstall and try again and got XPlane 11 by mistake. Talk about Ironic.
Still I have two hours now on FS2020.
EDIT:
Just to be clear that's two hours of watching it not run.

Updating windows to 2004 version, read it might help, and updating the Nvidia drivers.

Last edited:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the actual download size is? I have countrybuck internet, so if the steam storage size is correct, if I start downloading today I might be playing it before labor day.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The Steam portion is a few hundred MB, and the package data, which is downloaded via the launcher when you first run the game, is 99 GB on my hard drive, and ~91 GB to download (compressed). It takes several hours to download, though, even on a GB pipe, because the downloader downloads a piece, expands/installs it, and then repeats. So your overall download rate will be significantly lower than your Internet speed.

Not exactly a smooth launch so far, lol. But I'm looking forward to actually flying it tonight!

P.S. You will definitely want to install this on an SSD if you can, the folder tree has ~60,000 files and ~6100 folders:

Total Files Listed:
59571 File(s) 101,189,140,334 bytes
6098 Dir(s)

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The Steam portion is a few hundred MB, and the package data, which is downloaded via the launcher when you first run the game, is 99 GB on my hard drive, and ~91 GB to download (compressed). It takes several hours to download, though, even on a GB pipe, because the downloader downloads a piece, expands/installs it, and then repeats. So your overall download rate will be significantly lower than your Internet speed.

Not exactly a smooth launch so far, lol. But I'm looking forward to actually flying it tonight!

P.S. You will definitely want to install this on an SSD if you can, the folder tree has ~60,000 files and ~6100 folders:

What tier did you go for? I would expect the pricier ones to have several GB more than that since they include more content. A friend from work said his Premium Deluxe copy consumed 150G when installed.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I have the highest tier, but it's not clear yet whether all the premium content downloaded for me already -- I did not get a chance to fly it yet, and there are a number of reports about it taking several hours before premium content is queued for download, and some users have to do some manual steps to get the premium content to download.

As I said, not exactly a smooth launch. :p