New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

K_Jameson

Reaction score
It is directed by JJ Abrams. Given his "work" on the Star Trek reboot, he's clearly not that interested in original stories.

We should be thankful that he didn't actually reboot Star Wars.

Oh, brother.
I HATE Abrams for his terrible outrage at Star Trek. The problem is that that sh*t actually has had big success, so the numbers give him reason... :facepalm:
I learned that a new Star Trek TV series is in pre-production. I'm scared...

Surely, a Star Wars reboot would have caused a popular rebellion (I don't think that a reboot was ever considered, because Abrams is a SW fan).
Also, I hope do not ever see a reboot of Back To The Future!

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

The Force Awakens Honest Teaser:

Last edited:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Erm....look up about three posts...;)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Surely, a Star Wars reboot would have caused a popular rebellion

Well, they're rebooting everything that has never been on a tv screen and takes place after the first three movies... Which means about 95% of all books and games. :shifty:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Erm....look up about three posts...;)

I don't know how, but I missed it! :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 AM ----------

Well, they're rebooting everything that has never been on a tv screen and takes place after the first three movies... Which means about 95% of all books and games. :shifty:

Only the big screen counts (we don't talk about Marvel/DC comics). Nothing of these other media is "canon", so they aren't rebooting nothing, actually.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well... up untill decission to to move entire EU into "Legends" almost all of EU (games, books, certain comic books) except IIRC Ultimate series of comic books were considered canon both by frachise owners and most of fans.

Authors/developers had strict rules what the can or can't do with characters, events etc and creative process was often oversought and had to be aproved by Lucas' employees.

I understand decission tho throw it all out. EU was such clutter of interconnected events and characters, that it would limit options for EP7. Almost every year (for ~60 years after Endor) is covered by around 2 books.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Well... up untill decission to to move entire EU into "Legends" almost all of EU (games, books, certain comic books) except IIRC Ultimate series of comic books were considered canon both by frachise owners and most of fans.

Authors/developers had strict rules what the can or can't do with characters, events etc and creative process was often oversought and had to be aproved by Lucas' employees.

I understand decission tho throw it all out. EU was such clutter of interconnected events and characters, that it would limit options for EP7. Almost every year (for ~60 years after Endor) is covered by around 2 books.

Books and GAMES are canon? Are you sure? This is heavy, Doc. :lol:
I figured that the Star Wars canon policy was analogous to the Star Trek canon, that is strictly limited to the on-screen manifestations. And this make much more sense to me.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Books and GAMES are canon? Are you sure? This is heavy, Doc. :lol:
I figured that the Star Wars canon policy was analogous to the Star Trek canon, that is strictly limited to the on-screen manifestations. And this make much more sense to me.

Yep. From 2004 to ~2008 I was involved in Starwars fanclub in Warsaw, Poland. We did some conventions and some of guys/girls were (and still are) involved with translations of offcial books, comic books and games. Startrek is different in this matter.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The books by Tim Zahn were certainly canon, enough to be used as reference material by the Lucas Arts team when they made the Tie Fighter game.

Kind of wish Grand Admiral Thrawn was making an appearance in the movie. Talk about a competent leadership, that guy was 10 steps ahead of everyone.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I'm more familiar with the Star Trek approach at the "canon".

In Star Trek, ONLY the TV series and the movies are canon. The animated series is a sort of "proto-canon" with perhaps only one or two episode generally accepted. All the other manifestations of Star Trek, in every other media, are NOT canon (so NO, V'ger has nothing to do with the Borg! :lol: ).
I have some confusion about the recent comics that accompany the last movies, though. Perhaps are considered partially canon but i'm not sure. I'm not really interested in the JJ's Stupid-Verse.

Funny.

Abrams chosed to reboot the Star Trek franchise mainly because it would be free from the canon... but the Star Wars canon appears even more intricated at this point. If even the post-Endor events are covered so finely, and even the distant past is covered by canonical pubblications, there is no way to tell an original story without conflicting these references. In fact, a Star Wars reboot would have been the right choice, instead the Star Trek one :lol:
(just kidding)

Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If even the post-Endor events are covered so finely, and even the distant past is covered by canonical pubblications, there is no way to tell an original story without conflicting these references. In fact, a Star Wars reboot would have been the right choice, instead the Star Trek one :lol:
(just kidding)

Indeed. Lucas himself made the prequels contradictory to the original trilogy; the bits of backstory we got in eps IV, V, and VI don't jive with the drivel he fed us in I, II, and III.

Worse, he went back and tampered with the stories we all grew up loving in the first place.

I'm no Jar Jar Abrams fan, and I hate what he did with the awful Trek movies and hated Lost, but I imagine he'll have a hard time trying to make things worse than Lucas did.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm no Jar Jar Abrams fan, and I hate what he did with the awful Trek movies and hated Lost, but I imagine he'll have a hard time trying to make things worse than Lucas did.

Just wait :lol:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Indeed. Lucas himself made the prequels contradictory to the original trilogy; the bits of backstory we got in eps IV, V, and VI don't jive with the drivel he fed us in I, II, and III.

Worse, he went back and tampered with the stories we all grew up loving in the first place.

I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

How did he tamper with the stories from the original trilogy? The only things I can think of is "I am your Father" which was explained away with that whole "point of view" stuff from VI, and midichlorians which kind of took some of the thunder out of the force.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An example would be Leia saying that she had memories of her "real mother" in Return of the Jedi while the prequels show that her mother died just after she was born.

In Episode IV, Obi-Wan gives Luke "his fathers lightsaber," telling him that his father "wanted him to have it when he was old enough." In the prequels, "his father" never expressed such a desire. (although that may be a case of lying to protect him from the real truth)

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
An example would be Leia saying that she had memories of her "real mother" in Return of the Jedi while the prequels show that her mother died just after she was born.

Keep in mind that Leia is force sensitive. Her memory might be just a force induced vision.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
When a plot needs external theories to be held together... simply isn't a good plot.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Extended trailer:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That last line somewhat tempts me to give this movie the title "Star Wars Episode VII: A new new hope" :lol:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd rather say "Return of the new hope"

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Star Wars strikes back: return of the new hope. There, we have it! :lol: