Problem New to addons, need some help...

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ok well I've just gotten into some real addons, and my first one is a payload for the DGIV. I've done everything the SDK manual told me to, down to the 'T'. I made a nice low poly mesh, textured it using UV texturing (in Blender btw). I then exported the mesh using the orbiter plugin, and I converted my texture files to .dds. Next I made my config file with this:
Code:
; === Configuration file example for DGIV payload ===
; see doc in SDK for use.

ClassName = DGIVLunarRover
MeshName = ../config/DGIVPayload/Meshes/DGIVLunarRover
DGIVCARGODESC = First ever payload add-on...
DGIVBAYPOSITION = 0.00 0.90 -1.70
Size = 3.00
Mass = 1450; empty mass [kg]
; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P 0.0 0.9 0.0  0 1 0  0 0 1  DGIVCPL
END_ATTACHMENT

;
; ADD HERE YOUR OTHER PARAMETERS
;
and placed it in the config/vessels folder. I placed my .msh file in config/dgIVPayload/Meshes, and did the same with my sole .dds file except into the /Textures directory. I also changed the last line of the .msh file like the SDK says:
Code:
TEXTURES 1
../config/DGIVPayload/Textures/Wheels.dds
I also placed the image file of the correct size and correct name in the /Images directory. Here is the issue: The payload shows up in the scenario editor in the simulator and I can load it into the DGIV. However, there are no textures! I've done just about everything to figure out what's wrong, but no matter what the textures just will not show! There is only 1 texture file too, just the Wheels.dds file. Someone care to help me out with this?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Does the bottom of the Mesh file say
TEXTURES 1
Wheels.dds

Wheels.dds should be in the TEXTURES folder, if you made your own folder (for this example, named "test"), the last line would read
test\Wheels.dds

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Does the bottom of the Mesh file say
TEXTURES 1
Wheels.dds

Wheels.dds should be in the TEXTURES folder, if you made your own folder (for this example, named "test"), the last line would read
test\Wheels.dds

TEXTURES 1
../config/DGIVPayload/Textures/Wheels.dds

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
have you tried changing the texture's resolution to something like 256x256 or 128x256 ? (those numbers are just examples)

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
have you tried changing the texture's resolution to something like 256x256 or 128x256 ? (those numbers are just examples)
Yep. I saw that a lot of the files in the texture folders were the same kb size, so i found out their sizes and made mine the same size.

EDIT: Ok, I have gotten the textures to appear now... the issue was with the type of .dds I saved the texture as. However, the problem now is that the textures are not mapped correctly across the wheels. Anyone want to venture a guess?

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Is UV map misplaced, does it appear in the default position, like on unedited UV map just applied to the model in Blender?

Check if you have UV coordinates defined in the mesh file in either GEOM section. UV coordinates are the last on vertex definition line, on 7th and 8th position, for example (from the first vertex of Phobos):
Code:
-0.1683 -0.798 0.1388 0.2815 -0.9366 -0.1814 [color=red]0.8903 0.9151[/color]

This may be an issue of mesh exporter not exporting UV coordinates correctly. You may need to use different channel for your UV map (i.e. explicit map channel, vertex color channel). First try to save the model in other format for which there are available converters (.obj, .3ds), and convert it using an external converter (3ds2msh, obj2msh).