General Question Nice HUD effects absent on home box

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I installed orbiter on a computer and the HUD is really awesome with transparency effects and a glowing effect where the lines overlap.

There are no such effects when I use orbiter at home on my own pc. Any idea what the difference is here? I didn't even know what I was missing out on!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Sounds strange!
Same Orbiter versions?? Same OS? And what graphics cards/resolutions?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
shoot. i don't know what the other one is, I know it's newer for sure, I'm pretty sure it uses Win 7 and I have Vista at home. I have a Nvidia geforce 7950 gt that supports direct x 9.0c, might it be my direct x?

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

my computer is quite old by now, probably from 2006

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 AM ----------

same orbiter versions, 2010 p1

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

so i'm curious, what is normal? do most people see the cool hud effects?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
so i'm curious, what is normal? do most people see the cool hud effects?

No. But then again, maybe yes. A screenshot of the phenomenon would speak a thousand words right now. It just sounds like your graphics setup is doing something funky. Some cards/drivers force antialiasing and other effects, so it's not unheard of for a game to look very different between machines using the same in-game settings.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
interesting. i'll take a screen shot today. its actually really cool in my opinion

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I installed orbiter on a computer and the HUD is really awesome with transparency effects and a glowing effect where the lines overlap.

There are no such effects when I use orbiter at home on my own pc. Any idea what the difference is here? I didn't even know what I was missing out on!

Is there any chance that you might have the "transparent glass cockpit MFD" parameter checked in one installation and not checked in the other?

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Is there any chance that you might have the "transparent glass cockpit MFD" parameter checked in one installation and not checked in the other?

Hey this is it! that was the difference. I never knew the glass cockpit changed the appearance of the HUD like that. very cool. actually looks like projected light this way instead of just green lines. learn something new about orbiter every day, I guess. I don't typically use glass cockpit (ever) so this was a surprise.

Thanks! :tiphat:

worir1

Space Nerd
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I dont like the glass cockpit
its hard to see when taking off and landing in daylight

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yeah i dont care much for it in regards to the MFDs, but i like the way the hud looks like it's glowing or being projected.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is how it looks in the inline client:
glaspit.jpg

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yours is doing it:thumbup: its not just simple transparency, it all glow-ee. Check out this comparison chart to clarify what i was specifically talking about originally; I used your screen shot. It looks closer to photoshop's "linear dodge" layer effect, but still even more glow-ee than that. You can still see it in the 2-D cockpit

Attachments

• HUD.jpg
    HUD.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Well, in Orbiter it isn't "Linear Dodge", it's purely additive mode.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I didn't figure it was the same, I just meant it kinda sorta looks comparable. I'm still stuck on hello world for C++ :lol: