No one injured! : WWII Bomb was brought to explosion in Munich

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just saw in the news, that a WWII bomb in Munich was brought to a controlled explosion.

I hope that noone is injured... (I havn't heard that someone is injured, fortunately!)
I found this in the internet...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-Stones-night-club.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

---------- Post added at 00:43 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

Ah ok, I've just read that noone is injured!

They've tried to defuse the bomb for more then 30 hours!
But without success, so they decided to blow up the bomb, but everyone was evacuated!

Puh...

Just some houses are burning. (Without people inside!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19400974

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well that was a...*sunglasses* blast from the past.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
[ame="http://vimeo.com/48399328"]Sprengung der Fliegerbombe / Schwabing, München / 28.8.2012 on Vimeo[/ame]

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Don't forget the 88MM flak peppering the sky.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, it looked on the photographs from yesterday, that the 250 kg/~500lb bomb was one of the nastiest types of bomb (acid delay fuze) that travelled in an arc underground and came to rest upside down, so the acid was unable to trigger the bomb after a few hours. The UXO team had problems reaching the fuze in the aft of the bomb without making the bomb topple and the fuze itself is a high risk, since they become instable over the years.

Luckily, it was "only" a controlled explosion. In the uncontrolled case, there would have been way more shrapnel and blast.

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

FADEC

Reaction score
Now imagine several thousand of those, no sandbags shielding the blast, and a B-17 falling out of the sky on you every once in a while...

Here you go:

Fotothek_df_ps_0000010_Blick_vom_Rathausturm.jpg

GERMANY-HISTORY-WWII-BRIT-004.jpg

That's Dresden. But today it's a beautiful city again:

Dresden-die-blaue-Stunde-a17906956.jpg

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Unexploded bomb is one of 2,500 estimated to be buried in Munich

Wow, that's scary!

Here you go:

Fotothek_df_ps_0000010_Blick_vom_Rathausturm.jpg

GERMANY-HISTORY-WWII-BRIT-004.jpg

I've never seen those pictures before... Geez we got excessive with the bomb dropping didn't we. I knew we dropped a lot of bombs, but of course I wasn't there (or even alive then), so these pictures are a scary reminder of how violent the world once was. I really hope we don't face another world war like that again. With the birth of the internet, I now have friends all over the world and the thought of going to war with one of their countries just doesn't seem as likely. Who would want war with their friends?

That's Dresden. But today it's a beautiful city again:

Dresden-die-blaue-Stunde-a17906956.jpg

Truly amazing to see how far Germany has come today. What a difference in the before and after pictures.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Glad nobody got hurt... But one wonders, 70 years ago they could make bombs that still work after all that time, and now we can't make a TV set that lasts 5 years.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm surprised anyone is surprised, with the results of bombing Germany during WWII?

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Glad nobody got hurt... But one wonders, 70 years ago they could make bombs that still work after all that time, and now we can't make a TV set that lasts 5 years.

yeah, but it destroyed a shop and an apartment block contrary to initial reports. was a next reminder that there are many such time delay bombs that can and already did explode by chance.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I agree Notebook.

And if someone will bomb your family, you also would shoot him down. No matter, who gave you the orders to do so. Even not, if this is the biggest, criminal person in the world who gave you the orders.

There are no rules in war, there are no crimes in war, the war itself is the rule and the crime at once.

Rules in a war are only accepted, if they are not against any millitary objective.

The only way to avoid such situations for us is, to don't participate in a war, if we are in the lucky situation to have a choice.

Just to be clear: The allies don't have had a choise. It was absolutely required to stop hitler and the nazis!

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Scars of war.
Under Vyazma, you could still find remnants of trenches, bomb craters and similar scenery, under trees and growth.
My grandmother used to warn me about not getting near anything metallic in the forest - there could have been dud bombs still laying around.
Looks like it's a familiar issue for most of europe.

And it might get worse over time - generations change, veterans die out, newer generations forget.
Current populated areas were mostly cleaned up, but as new and rural areas are claimed or used, what would happen with all the bombs and mines still waiting under the trees, where no one bothered to look for them in many decades, and no one would remember to look in the decades to come?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Now and then, Luftwaffe bombs are sometimes found in the UK, probaly will for some time.

Good UK tele series in the 70's

Danger UXB:

N.

FADEC

Reaction score
I've never seen those pictures before... Geez we got excessive with the bomb dropping didn't we. I knew we dropped a lot of bombs, but of course I wasn't there (or even alive then), so these pictures are a scary reminder of how violent the world once was.

And we're talking about the so called "civilized" part of the world...

I think this is one example why Europeans were searching for another continent way before WWI and II. I don't really want to know how Europe today would look like without the USA...

I really hope we don't face another world war like that again. With the birth of the internet, I now have friends all over the world and the thought of going to war with one of their countries just doesn't seem as likely. Who would want war with their friends?

I think the internet is a big key for our future. People can learn things about the world as easy and quick as never before. Show me a bigger library and a bigger place where people communicate. It's not only an internet, but actually a world net. I tend to call it one of our most important technological achievements, which certainly does contribute to peacefulness.

I doubt we will ever see another war like WWI or II. But we will see more smaller wars in certain areas of the world. Areas which mostly are impoverished and underdeveloped, so that most people don't have access to the internet, and where the population is suppressed. I would call the Middle East the biggest issue on this planet.

amalahama

Reaction score
Hahaha, that's funny!

I've just come across this post. I felt this in first person!

I live just 50 meters away from where bomb was found. We all were evacuated quickly, but I didn't expect it was going to take sooooo long.

So I just took a coat and my wallet and I waited and waited, until the night comes and they told us we had to find some place to pass the night, because they were going to try to detonate the bomb next day.

It was an experience for me! Specially because I'm not from Germany and all this was new for me!

Fortunately enough, my house didn't get any damage, but some shops windows shattered to pieces.

By the way, I heard it was an american bomb, it seems English had better aiming during WWII :p

Regards!