News WWII Bomber crashes in Illinois

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
62330944-13093022.jpg

A World War II "Flying Fortress" bomber crashed and burned in a cornfield southeast of Aurora Municipal Airport this morning, but the seven people on board escaped without serious injury, officials say.

The B-17 took off from the airport at 9:30 a.m. and went down about three or four miles from Aurora about 20 minutes later, according to Elizabeth Isham Cory, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration. "We believe the seven people on board escaped without injury."

The pilot made an emergency landing in a cornfield near Highway 71 and Minkler Road in Oswego after reporting an engine fire, according to Sugar Grove Fire Chief Marty Kunkle. Witnesses said he set the plane down between a tower and a line of trees.

Jim Barry was at his home in the Deerpath Creek subdivision when he heard a plane flying low overhead. "The windows were rattling. I said, 'That's a crop duster.' "

He looked out and saw the bomber and a smaller yellow plane. An engine on the left wing of the bomber -- the one farthest from the cockpit --- was on fire.

"Not a lot of flames, just more smoke than flames," Barry said.

The pilot managed to set the plane down in a gap between a relay tower about 60 to 70 feet high and a line of trees 25 to 30 feet high -- around 500 yards from his home. "He did a great job," Barry said.

Once the plane was on the ground, flames started shooting 50 feet in the air. Within minutes, emergency crews were at the crash site.

"It was shocking," Barry said.

A neighbor told him she saw the words "Liberty Belle" on the nose of the plane.

His neighbor, Drew Mundsinger, was driving back home with his son after dropping off other children at school when they saw the plane flying low overhead. A smaller plane was flying with the B-17.

Mundsinger said he knew the plane was in the area providing rides and didn't think much of it. When they came close to their home, they saw large plumes of dark smoke filling the air and at first thought it was someone burning leaves.

Then he and his son realized one of the planes had crashed. By the time he reached his home, he saw the plane burning in a cornfield about 500 yards behind his home.

"When we first came here, it looked like nothing could survive that," Mundsinger said. "It looked to be right by my subdivision so I got worried. The scary thing is, it was heading right at our house.

“It made my heart race up a beat," he added. "I can clearly look straight out at it.”

Gene Sheeley was loading groceries into his car outside a Jewel store when he heard a plane flying overhead. Looking up, Sheeley said he noticed the bomber was gliding extremely low over the intersection of Orchard Road and Illinois Route 71 in Oswego.

“I thought this puppy is flying low, but I didn’t realize it was going to crash,” Sheeley said.

But moments later Sheeley, 72, saw a large plume of black smoke rising into the clear blue sky. “The first thing that came to my mind was did anybody get hurt,” Sheeley said.

The B-17 was primarily deployed by the U.S. Army Air Forces in daylight strategic bombing of German industrial and military targets. It also participated to a lesser extent in the Pacific, where it conducted raids against Japanese shipping and airfields.

The plane that crashed was manufactured in 1944 and is registered to the Liberty Foundation in Miami, Fla., which restored the "Liberty Belle." The plane was at the Aurora Municipal Airport on Saturday and Sunday, according to the foundation's website.

The "Liberty Belle" was sold on June 25, 1947 as scrap to Esperado Mining Co. of Altus, Okla. and was sold again later that year to Pratt & Whitney for $2,700, according to the foundation's website.

Whitney operated the B-17 from Nov. 19, 1947 to 1967 to test turboprop engines. It was donated in the late 1960s to the Connecticut Aeronautical Historic Association in East Hartford, but was heavily damaged in 1979 when a tornado threw another aircraft against the B-17’s mid-section, breaking the fuselage, the foundation said.

It was stored in the New England Air Museum in Connecticut until the foundation began restoring it.

The plane travels around the country, giving rides to the public at $430 each. It most recently was in Indianapolis, Dayton and Cincinnati.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...nvolving-wwii-bomber-20110613,0,5852034.story

Photo is attached.

Attachments

• 62330944-13093022[1].jpg
    62330944-13093022[1].jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmm, so that whole set of events in the beggining of "Memphis Belle" isn't as doom-ensuring as the movie makes it out to be...

for those who didn't watch that movie (reccomend it) - at the first few scenes a b-17 like that makes a crashlanding with an angine on fire, pretty much exactly how it happened in this situation...
the crew dispairs as they try to flee the downed aircraft before it explodes... they can't, so they all die in a large Hollywood-style explosion that sets the tone for a highly climatic sequence later on... but i won't give off any spoilers - go watch the movie :rolleyes:

nice to see that in real life, a similar crashlanding can be safely performed without catastrophic events following... to the crew that is.... quite a shame about the plane, those are such beautiful birds... they don't make them like that anymore :p

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am so saddened by this. I JUST saw this plane over the summer at Grissom Air Museum. Its restoration is being completely funded by public donation. I even have a shirt that has the nose art on the back, the purchase of which went entirely to the restoraton cause. :(

**EDIT** I believe I'm guilty of mistaken identity, trying to verify though. This plane was named the "Liberty Belle." The plane I saw over the summer was named the "Miss Liberty Belle."

Sorry for my confusion.

Still sad for the loss of an old warbird, but glad that no one was badly injured or killed.

Attachments

• MissLibertyBelle.jpg
    MissLibertyBelle.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Heck, people, why are you SAD, for Chrissake? The crew is alive and no bystander was harmed, that's the most important thing to remember.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Heck, people, why are you SAD, for Chrissake? The crew is alive and no bystander was harmed, that's the most important thing to remember.

also, the plane is not lost... I have seen worse wrecks that got restored.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

You make a good point. It could have been worse. Not only could the passengers/crew have been injured, but it also could have crashed into that housing subdivision.

Ricovandijk

Reaction score
Thank god no one is harmed, still it is sad that one of the few B17's is gone...

My thoughts are with the many volunteers who worked hard and spent allot of their time and money to keep this bird in the air.

It's wishful thinking that she will fly someday again. we'll see.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Looking at that photo its amazing no one was hurt.

Actually no, the photo shows the aircraft nearly burned down a long time after the crash (hence the bystanders). Probably when it crashed there were a few fires but not much initial damage.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Its sad to see another old war bird come to an unfortunate end. :(

Its good that the crew and passengers got off with out any serious injures.

From the photos it looks like only the engines and the tail will be recoverable, the wings and body (what is left of it) look as though they have been burnt pretty badly.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
She's the B-17 I flew in a few years ago. :( RIP

That was the same engine that failed the day I was flying on it.

Last edited:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I think i've seen her before at an airport in south Florida.:(

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
A few more photos:

bomber1_682_1327200a.jpg

bomber2_682_1327199a.jpg

and before the accident

bomber3_682_1327198a.jpg

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
I saw the "Liberty Belle" last year here in Tampa. She seemed to gleam in the sunlight while coming in on final approach. I can still hear her four Pratt & Whitney engines roaring as she taxied up right in front of me...

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Yes people got out safe, for sure thankful for that, but they don't make these planes anymore. Fortunately there are still a handful flying, but it's sad no less to see a beautiful piece of history destroyed in such a way.

Keatah

Reaction score
What a waste.. I mean for the county to use firetrucks. The fire could have been left to burn itself out. Less wreckage to remove too. And it's in the middle of a farm field, so even if it exploded 10 times over, no damage would be done.

Now, about what is remaining.. There is not enough left to do any type of restoration. The best you could hope for is to scavenge parts, build another B-17, and incorporate those salvaged parts into the new aircraft; thus affording some continuity.

Meantime while that's happening I'm gonna go play B-17 Bomber!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-17_Bomber_(game)