Gaming O-F Dwarf Fortress Succession Game: Armorwad - Minotaurs! Goblins! Railguns!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can't wait... with Armorwad's luck and mine combined, It'll be 300 goblins with a horde of cave dragons and trolls... BRING IT ON :lol:

But on a more serious note, I'll likely start doing upgrades to defences and food production... and power supply... anyone know how to make a working water reactor? I'm trying to right now on my main, but it only spills water throughout the fortress, last time it killed a few soldiers, I know the basics of it, but cant figure out the details

There's no need for a DWR: we have a river on-hand. Wind-mills and water-wheels should suffice. What on Earth Angstursmata do you need the power for, anyway?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't do it over the weekend. And I forsee this week being busy. But my term as Overseer will end this coming weekend.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

So, do I understand correctly: Quick_Nick is in his final season, and then the game passes to KuatYards?

EDIT: Yes, final season of my first year.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Aggh. Expect nothing done this weekend. Lots of school work straight through Tuesday at least.
If anyone has a problem with that, of course I can hand it off. Otherwise, I don't mind being a burden either. :p

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Randomly awfully sick during the time I thought I would be able to do it. But I'm on it now. ;)
However:
The Forgotten Beast Simo has come! A great blob composed of steam. It has an enormous shell and it has a bloated body.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So the beast came and went like...steam.
I have just a few days left til Spring. But, um, er, KuatYards...you have my support:

*cough* 104

Attachments

• invaders.png
    invaders.png
    280.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Winter:
Code:
1st Moonstone
Traded with the dwarves from within the walls, 'safe' from the goblin hoard outside.

6th Moonstone
A fishery worker enters a fey mood.
The fortress is still waiting out the goblin attack. The half-injured goblins are likely to go hungry long before we do.
It has been over a week since some dwarves were last seen.

7th Moonstone
Of course the fishery worker demands shells. That's all he knows anyways. Too bad we can't get them from trade.
We must assemble a make-shift fishery to deshell our surplus of mussels.
If these dwarves could just get five seconds of courage, the goblins would be full of ballista arrows.

11th Moonstone
Operation Mussel-shell was a rapid success, as the fey dwarf quickly made off with his prized material.
No! The Forgotten Beast Simo has come! A great blob composed of steam. It has an enormous shell and it has a bloated body.
At least the beast sounds mostly harmless lurking in a deep area believed to be inaccessible by our miners.

16th Moonstone
Mysterious construction begun. I wonder what it could be made of!

21st Moonstone
The merchants attempt to embark on their journey.
Finally a ballista arrow is shot, through the line!
The fishery worker has created a mussel shell figurine: Polisheddessert the Justice of Strategies.
 -No greater honor than having your image etched into the shell of a mussel, depicting you striking down a troglodyte, 200 years after the fact.
We have a legendary bone carver on our hands.

25th Moostone
I think that one shot is all it took. Only two goblins remain, limping slowly away, barely alive.
Aaaaand, they're gone!
Assessment: Strong defensive victory
 -We sustained all supplies through this brief attack, 
 -the citizens successfully retreated into the walls and closed the gate,
 -I personally decimated and demoralized the attackers with a swift ballista arrow through them all,
 -only three of our own are missing
 -we still do not maintain a true military
26th Moonstone:
Gate reopened and civilian alert lifted, just as the liason finishes agreements with the mayor.
A ballista arrow is fired for unknown reason.

1st Opal
A stray ballista arrow hits a dwarf, but he should be okay. Woops. Maybe I'll stick to my job as manager...

3rd Opal
All dead have been found and identified.
Happiness: 23 ecstatic, 24 happy, 13 content, 1 fine grieving for his brother.
Tosiddogik and the surrounding lands have been made a barony.
 -The ability to appoint a champion may come in handy

5th Opal
The fine dwarf is now very unhappy in light of the additional death of his spouse.
 -I'll give him a superior quality gold statue for his room, of Urwumpe the dwarf admiring emus.

24th Opal
The new mayor prohibits the export of spears.
We're in need of barrels to keep up booze production.
And brace yourselves, party incoming.

1st Obsidian
The cheese baroness is unhappy and pouting.

4th Obsidian
Our 'uninvited guest', the Simo, no longer appears on the unit list.

7th Obsidian
"Ranger cancels Attend Party: Getting food"

10th Obsidian
The statue of Urwumpe and emus did its work and cheered up our unhappy dwarf who only has a sister and a dog left.

14th Obsidian
Another party, this time organized by our chief medical dwarf.
A kobald thief appears. But he runs off as another arrives. The second is killed by the 'military'.
 -(included in the military is also one Animal Trainer who recently gave birth after taking ballista arrows to the entire body)

15th Obsidian
A vile force of darkness has arrived! The largest invasion I have ever experienced by far!

16th Obsidian
The gate is closed as the invaders approach. I believe everyone made it in safely.
The baroness is the only one not at least Content but her rooms are improving.

19th Obsidian
The invaders are making a big move somewhere. Are they leaving already? Did our impenetrable walls deter them?
Ballista arrows are being assembled in case they're coming back around. This time we'll be ready.

23rd Obsidian
The invaders seem to have only regrouped north-west of the fortress. Out of line of our ballistas but no less menacing.
As a trigger-happy manager, I'm going back to seige operating duty...after this meal which seems to be mesmerizing me.

To the next Overseer:
See to it that a ballista is loaded, either of the two that are not currently loaded, immediately.
Make use of my strong willingness to operate seige machines. (though don't let me handle them in peace-time)
Consider locking the doors to the lever room.
Consider locking seige operators in with their ballistas for short periods of time.
Maintain some barrel production and keep up Brew orders through the manager.
Appease the baroness a bit. Maybe a statue of cheese?
There is a dwarf who can't grasp who constantly fills up the announcements because he can't pick up his clothes. Do your best to understand his plight.
There are no deaths known other than a missing lamb.
There seems to be no shortage of food, only a chance of booze shortage if production hiccups.

Save: http://www.mediafire.com/?556g3981bz9ak33

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do we have any catapult training areas, I wonder? It would be excellent to have legendary siege operators.

That, and a danger room might be in order for military-training.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
Oh, look at all the !FUN! Can't wait... Course it can't be worse then 20 Crossbowgoblins and 10 macegobolins riding blind cave bears charging behind 12 cave dragons... all climbing all over the wall with a "military" that consists of 20 people who got axes shoved into their hands

Tommy

Reaction score
I'll try to outline a DWR:

Code:
Lower Level:
OOOOOOO
O.....O
O.OOO.O
O..OO.O
OOOOOOO

Upper Level:
OOOOOOO
OOWWWOO
OOOAOOO
OOHPpHO
OOOOOOO

Key: O = Wall (dug or built)
A = Axle
. = Floor
H = channel
Pp = pump (pumps toward lower case p)

You can designate the channel by the intake as a pit and fill it, or plumb in water (watch pressure - remember that a "diagonal" will eliminate pressure)
Also, just as a hint:

Designate a small pen/pasture zone at the entrance to your fort and pen your dogs (hopefully you brought a breeding pair) in it. This provides the same security as if you used a restraint - without needing the rope! No more thieves or snatchers will get in. And remember that it's when a Goblin Thief escapes with loot is when the invasions start.

It can be quite useful to have a powered section of track (with the rollers connected to a gear that is switchable) loaded with minecarts. Have the track so that it lets the carts onto your entry corridor but DO NOT put tracks on the corridor (tracks block depot access). The carts will simply jump track when it ends - and go tearing through the invaders. Carts can do some serious damage if you get them up to a good speed.

Also, traders (and their wagons) can pass through weapon traps - so load that entry corridor up. Glass discs and spikes are almost as good as steel for traps, since you don't have steel yet.

Also, don't rely on doors for security. Your entrances should have a dry moat and a raising drawbridge (no such thing as a ladder, so a dry moat is proof against anything that can't fly). I ring in my whole fort with dry moats (quicker than building walls), then build walls inside the moat (to protect against enemy archers) and let my archers on walls, behind fortifications, kill the invaders at very little risk to themselves.

I'd participate - but my computer is quite slow (FPS around 8 on my current fort, which is only entering it's second year!) so it would take a long time to complete my turn and don't want to make everyone wait.

I'll post a save in a month or two, once the automated minecart system is up and running.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
If sieges just leave, there's no obligation to fight this one. Better than ever to stay inside and only setup a military for the future. I think we have the means to hold out for over half a year at the very least. And I would expect traders to come along with soldiers, if sieges don't disable that.
Right now there's a thousand ways to secure the civilians and allow a military to fight, set up 34543 traps, etc., but I don't see it being worth our loss of life. Without using ballista arrows, I think it would take a very very long time to train a military for this invasion. (though I've never used a danger room)

To add to my ending notes: There's also maybe a couple bed-ridden dwarves, and definitely others that are quite crippled, from before my reign. So be careful who you assign to positions. :lol: We used to have a bookkeeper who spent forever unconscious and I think the militia captain is crippled but experienced.

Edit: Let me add yet more: It would be a good idea to make some more expensive crafts. They have been my means of trading for anything. As mentioned before, a new broker MAY be in order, but the current one is at least improving. At worst, the traders demand an extra statue per transaction.
Also, I don't know of any source of coal besides charcoal in our fortress, and I'm not sure how much wood we have left.

Last edited:

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
To solve the wood problem, the caverns have subterranean trees that can be cut down like regular trees... and tons of new crops, I'll make finding it a priority

Thanks for the DWR design, I was WAY over complicating it

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

And when we reach lava, load the minecarts with magma... nothing worse than a Giant ball of fire exploding in the middle of a goblin horde

---------- Post added 02-19-13 at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-18-13 at 05:14 PM ----------

Woo482 had a mood:

Woo482 is taken by a mood!!!
he has claimed a mechanics workshop... this should be an interesting Artifact...
he has taken 3 chunks of limestone and 1 limestone block... whoopdedoo...

Woo has finished his Artifact, a limestone mechanisms that depicts Goden's change from engraver to stonemason... not sure why that's such an important event but...
it is priced at 16,800, Woo has a skill of: 16(20,390xp)(Legendary-1) in Mechanics...
looks like I am going to get to technologicize the fortress!

I got the exact skill value from Dwarf Therapist

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Quick update:

No logs, 1 tree inside, low on seeds, out of charcoal(but I have ~100 bars of copper :facepalm: ), only ONE ballista arrow left, no caravans coming, ~50 Goblins and 20 Trolls outside, and woo making fancy gears... things are looking grim for armorwad...

Edit: Strike that, I have over 300 bars of copper...

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed. I meant to have a surplus of ballista arrows.
But 1. I shot them all at my friends
and 2. No coal :p

I knew about the underground tree possibility. I've just never done it myself, nor have I dealt with a forbidden beast. :lol:
We have great leverage in trading. Give a couple shiny gold objects out of the many laying around, and get all the wood and food you want. But of course... no traders these days. .-.

You might also take note that the top left ballista would be a bit useless in anything but a small invasion. Unfortunately the dwarves may like to load that one instead of the others.
What is needed for catapults? Can we just assault the invaders from behind the walls?

Last edited:

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
The last time my adventurer slew a mountian titan(a titan of pure fire) He shot it and it exploded instantly, this one is steam so it should do the same thing.

I've never accessed a cavern but I have a few Ideas how...

Kinda hard to trade when the merchants are scared of the invaders (although a squad of humans did save my main fort by killing 8 cave dragons...)

Catapults operate like ballistas(fire flat) but take rocks, which I noticed we have an abundance of, I'll try cutting some Fortifications in the lower wall and start lobbing limestone at the trolls :)

---------- Post added at 02:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 AM ----------

WHAT!!!!

in the time it took me to write the last reply, ALL the invaders have retreated!!! :cheers:

first priority, get the logs lying 3 feet from the wall

EDIT: erm... which lever opens the front door? I don't know how to look at the notes on the levers

---------- Post added at 02:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 AM ----------

First season over, here's the current log:

Code:
Date: 3-Granite-131
The previous overseer has left the fortress is a big mess
Goblins overrunning us, wood stocks are 0, many injured, no 
military, siege operators are hiding, our only hope is to 
hold out and await a caravan to rescue us...

15-Granite-131
I have finished initial review of the fortress, I saw that many
of the citizens were bleeding in their beds, so I made a hospital 
next to the well.
Then after seeing the status of the military, I made a new training 
room for now it'll be marksdwarves only, and they won't have much ammo...
We're out of wood and low on seeds...
	[out of dwarf] I have taken Solon Endokalak as my new dorf... I'll
		       lead a company of archers to battle. 

22-Granite-131 
I am starting an overhaul of the wall, putting a inner walkway and fortifications 
along with catapult towers, that should help hold off attacks, a railgun 
is still being examined, I will try to put one in... can't wait to see a troll
get his body ripped off by a minecart...

4-Slate-131
The militia training rooms are under contruction, the new archer squad, consisting 
of the rangers and hunters minus the cripple, are gathering gear and will begin 
target practice shortly. The melee troops are unknown what they are doing...

6-Slate-131
Woo482 is taken by a mood!!!
he has claimed a mechanics workshop... this should be an intresting Artifact...
he has taken 3 chunks of limestone and 1 limestone block... whoopdedoo...

13-Slate-131
Atlav has orginized a party, that should help moral

15-Slate-131
Woo has finished his Artifact, a limestone mechanisims that depicts Goden's change 
from engraver to stonemason... not sure why thats such an important event but...
it is priced at 16,800, Woo has a skill of: 16(20,390xp)(Legendary-1) in Mechanics...
looks like I am going to get to technologicize the fortress!

7-Felsite-131
militia Commander has given birth... yet another mouth to feed...

27-Felsite-131
All the goblins have retreated! looks like the blood shall flow some other day :(
I'll still mantain training of the militia.

1-Hamalite-131
Summer has come, My superior good luck has saved the fort.

So far things looked bad but turned good at the end of the season.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I made the mistake during my reign of accidentally making BOTH levers control the main gate. The left one may still also control an unneeded floodgate.

I assumed the steam forgotten beast was gone forever. (besides, had no known attacks) But the thought of future ones scares me. :lol:

By the way, you'll notice that the fishery worker who became a legendary bone carver and maybe another worker as well go to the far north end of the river to catch. They are very successful there, so I stopped trying to divert them to a 'safer' area. I don't think the chance of loss of one or two dwarves is too bad for the successful fishing (and shells!). It WOULD technically be the loss of a legendary though, albeit just a bone carver.

Last edited:

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
So have two door handles...

I've had bad experiences with water... after watching your squad of grandmaster axedwarves jump off of a 30 block waterfall into an endless cavern... all because they wanted the x<troll fur sock>x :facepalm:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
By the way, you'll notice that the fishery worker who became a legendary bone carver and maybe another worker as well go to the far north end of the river to catch. They are very successful there, so I stopped trying to divert them to a 'safer' area. I don't think the chance of loss of one or two dwarves is too bad for the successful fishing (and shells!). It WOULD technically be the loss of a legendary though, albeit just a bone carver.

If ever we get an animal industry / intentionally or accidentally cause a birdsplosion, a legendary bonecarver would be a great boon for making trade-goods and training bolts.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
I had the militia fight a skirmish with an infringing pair of anacondas, herd of wild boar, and herd of capybera... all three groups are almost entirely dead, more meat and bone!

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Gah!! I messed up the danger room! used menacing wooden spikes and not wooden training spears, two minor injuries: macedwarf and marksdwarf, but Woo got hit bad... still unknown the extent of the damage, but he'll likely be in the hospital for a month at the least. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

OK, woo is (relatively) fine, he got a spear jabbed into his chest, I still want him to go to the medics but he's still trying to finish working...

EDIT: this is getting weird, Woo just walked half-way across the fort with a lung falling out of his chest, MEDIC!!

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

On a happier note, We have a three year old with a strange mood :lol:

---------- Post added 02-20-13 at 12:24 AM ---------- Previous post was 02-19-13 at 09:15 PM ----------

A human caravan arrived just as I returned with two dead capybara's over my shoulders, they brought a diplomat with them, wonder what he wants?

---------- Post added at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

THIEF!!!

he was in the first section of the entrance when I saw him, me and three other marksdwarves surrounded him and turned him into a porcupine, I am the first marksdwarf with a goblin kill! :thumbup:

EDIT: Second Thief, same result

EDIT: AMBUSH!!!!
Ambush ended, result: slaughterhouse for us and a stolen child, the militia was not ready to fight that quickly... atleast 5 dead, 3 seriously injured...

EDIT: oh, and simo's back

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I think we need a very long training period before we do voluntary fighting.
Also, I'll try to live up to your pace in my second year! Instead of taking a month. :p