Gaming O-F Dwarf Fortress Succession Game: Armorwad - Minotaurs! Goblins! Railguns!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm tempted to say "when pigs can fly", but this is dwarf fortress we're talking about, and I fully expect it to provide the means to make pigs fly at some point in the future :p
Already possible with a minor edit to the pig's raw. :p
Yeah, optimize AFTER Moore's law fixes the problem. :lol:
I don't see Moore's law speeding up execution of single threads any time soon. The trend is currently favouring multithreading.

And speaking of threads, where is this one going now? :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm tempted to say "when pigs can fly", but this is dwarf fortress we're talking about, and I fully expect it to provide the means to make pigs fly at some point in the future :p

The next forest titan will come soon, with a boar-like appearance and large brown wings. Beware of its boiling blood.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
Here's the save

Notes to next overseer:

Get the railgun system working, below it is the magazine, power supply and control room (well, last isn't yet built)

The third lever in the lever room controls the outer bridge (use it like an airlock)
just make sure it's connected when you start

Train a military, I have made a military wing by the well, please expand it

Watch out for strange moods, had to use tons of supplies during the siege

The goblins have had a ton of focus on us, set up a new burrow that is ~30 blocks from the gates and keep them on that for a few months...

Besides that, let the beer flow, picks ring, and bodies be hewn :lol:

Last edited:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Unlike some other regions, I've got one more week before spring break. So, I'm on midterms week right now. (hey, look, 'fun' in real life :p) But I should have lots of extra time during spring break. (nothing exciting going on this year) I can maybe even do it all that week. I'll just need guidance on the railgun system.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mine is just ending. Have fun on yours, once midterms are survived, ere the underpaid student markers get hungry! Strike the page!

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why some things don't seem to be using the same tiles I'm used to, and why there are especially shrubs all over the place (including in the fort) with random tiles? Most tiles are right (I'm using maydayMIX.bmp), but... I have no idea what's going on here.
Me: *loads up DF* "Hm, something's not right." *goes down a level* "Vermin in the stockpiles!" *hits k* "Wait... that's no vermin... that's a shrub!"

EDIT: No worries. Fixed it. Not sure why it happened though.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Differences in the tileset used by the uploader will do that. I don't know how it works, though - I (gasp) use the default curses.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That was a lie. I forgot that I swapped out for a squarification of the default curses in light of large construction projects beginning to look, well, weird.

deadshot462

Reaction score
How is Gnomoria compared to Dwarf Fortress? I am interested in trying that game first.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I strongly suggest moving my name down the list this time around. I have no free time in the forseeable future. >_< Sorry.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Scratch that. I was surpringly able to drop a class that has been draining my time from everything else (including other classes). So some time has opened up.
Again, I'll need instructions on that railgun. "I have no idea what I'm doing." And some suggestions on military structure are always helpful, but I can go on some of Urwumpe's posts especially from earlier pages.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would say leave the railgun in a state of construction for a while. It feels to me like a V-3 weapon - large, powerful, immobile and militarily useless.

What you need are troll-safe entrances (drawbridges and dry or wet moats), first of all one ring of defense (other rings can come later, to lock the gophers inside) and a militia training program that involves making anybody a suitable soldier, who has some talent, with only medical staff, miners and some nobles being the exception. You should have enough dwarfs with a profession twice, so making half of them part-time soldiers is no deal.

KuatYards

Ejection Seat Tester
Reaction score
I would say leave the railgun in a state of construction for a while. It feels to me like a V-3 weapon - large, powerful, immobile and militarily useless.

What you need are troll-safe entrances (drawbridges and dry or wet moats), first of all one ring of defense (other rings can come later, to lock the gophers inside) and a militia training program that involves making anybody a suitable soldier, who has some talent, with only medical staff, miners and some nobles being the exception. You should have enough dwarfs with a profession twice, so making half of them part-time soldiers is no deal.

Yes it's mainly for the awe factor, but as a last ditch trap I have it ~10 blocks from the inner gate... Rig a repeater and start blowing goblins to pieces before they can reach the inner fort, and the defenders

---------- Post added at 05:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 AM ----------

And Defence rings, I was thinking a few ballista towers with a minecraft system and self destruct (flooding) system for the outer ring, a few well placed ballista can break the back of a siege

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If Armorwad has a glass industry, a well-maintained railgun could be the only needed defense. Funnel all invaders into a single ornamented passageway, with a downwards ramp leading to the main fortress entrance under the business end of the railgun, which would fire an infinity of trap components down the corridor at terrifying speed. A literal glass cannon. Much fancier and harder to maintain than the typical trapped corridor, butmore entertaining, as well.

a few well placed ballista can break the back of a siege

Or of the last dwarven stragglers to return to the base. :lol:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Yeaah, it would still be best if someone would like to go before me.