• Total voters

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Just wondering what O-F members college degree levels are.

You can vote for what you are currently are working for, or have already.

Ark

Reaction score
Done with my Associate's at the end of this semester.

Automotive technology, what a bloody mistake that was. $15k+ in tuition and expenses associated with attending a school 60 miles away because they don't offer the program anywhere else. What did I get for it? 3 jobs that didn't pay more than $8, despite requiring knowledge of how to repair a $30,000 piece of technology, and that all ended in disaster one way or another. :beathead:

My advice: Don't ever take something you love to do and turn it into a career. Work is miserable no matter how you spin it, so pick something that will reward you with the most money for your misery.

[/cynicism]

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Coding always pays off whether it's work or hobby :) although I must admit that if I code for 8 hours daily, then I'm not inclined to do it at home anymore, but if I do something else on my job, then I can't just go back home and NOT code :)

I graduated bachelor of control engineering but I resigned from continuing this course because it was really bugging me during studying, and still buggs me at work some times. I changed my profile into computer science which I really like, and I have to deal with less (international<istic>) fools thanks to this, unlike my control engineering colleagues.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
B.S. Computer Science. I have to agree with Enjo -- taking a programming job really killed my desire to program outside of work, but I also must disagree with Ark. I love programming and have turned it into a rather well-paying job.

The trick is to find someone to pay you to do something that you enjoy doing enough that you'd do it for free.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We don't have colledge over in switzerland, but I never went to the equivalent either. Heck, I didn't even go to an equivalent of high school. On the other hand, we have professional school, which is (depending on profession) 3 to 4 years practical training in a company with one or at best two days of school per week, for which oddly there doesn't seem to be an equivalent in most countries in this world (odd because a good 50%+ of the swiss population gets educated this way). I'd guess the level would be somewhere around an associate (it was called "journeyman" once upon a time...)

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
B.S. in political science. Hopefully I'll be in grad school next year.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The UK education system is usually in a state of examination. At least it seems that way to me. No college( US University?) education, left school at 15 and did an apprenticeship.
Day-release and night-classes, got to ONC/HNC level, not sure what they are equivalent to today, or if they even exist.
The UK had a fairly decent vocational system then, called Technical Colleges and Polytechnics. Seemed to work, at least for industry.
Did a lot of manufacturers courses, they were a bit variable. A couple of Open University ones, when I thought my maths was getting weak. Employer paid for that, those were the days...

Thinking about doing an OU Physics module, but a bit skint at the moment.

N.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hope to be done with my Bachelors by the end of this calendar year. It may take longer, considering that I'm not doing well with my classes over here in Germany (not that I'd have not done this trip just to get out early...).

As for Ark's comment: One of the kids who went to my church went to school for Automotive Engineering, and, according to his mother, is the only one of her five kids that's yet living his dream. And the one time I took a job because it payed well, I ended up the richest and most miserable I'd ever been in my life (though not entirely because of that job).

Pablo49

Reaction score
Not in College yet. Graduated from high school last year, but didn't go to college due to a few things getting screwed up. I will be going to school for Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No college yet, way too poor to go, especially with a new baby on the way.

I plan on either going for nursing or EMT/Paramedic.

Ark

Reaction score
As for Ark's comment: One of the kids who went to my church went to school for Automotive Engineering, and, according to his mother, is the only one of her five kids that's yet living his dream. And the one time I took a job because it payed well, I ended up the richest and most miserable I'd ever been in my life (though not entirely because of that job).

Not automotive engineering, automotive service. Two years of school to learn how to be a $10/hr dealership rat. :beathead:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Not automotive engineering, automotive service. Two years of school to learn how to be a $10/hr dealership rat. :beathead:
I have a friend who've spent $80 grand to get a degree in English only to wind up working at Applebees until he can find an actual job. Elsewise he is going back to school to drop more money on an education masters to wind up working for maybe 30,000 a year.

Last edited:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
We're missing no college or just high school diploma from the poll?

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I selected "Master's" as I will be starting my graduate coursework this coming fall. For now, however, I'm cleaning up a mechanical engineering degree. :)

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Pumped because I just got accepted to grad school last week. Finishing Mechanical Engineering Bachelors, going for Doctorate on Aerospace Engineering.

Unstung

Reaction score
I don't have any degree/diploma... yet. Though, I'd probably go for a BS.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
We're missing no college or just high school diploma from the poll?

Good point, can you edit a poll once in place?

I'm going for a BS in CIS now, but I hope to end up getting a masters in computer engineering later on.