Project OBSP Development Thread

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I present Orbiter Battle Simulation Project - An attempt at creating realistic, fun and customisable for orbiter.

This thread is intended to gather ideas for the first "proper" release.

Download the beta

Orbiter c.JPG

OC demo.JPG

FEATURES
-Make custom weapons with CFG files.
-Collision detection (weapons + vessels)
-Scenario reading + writing
-Forces on explosion
-Configurable parameters

KNOWN BUGS
None in the core. If you get a CTD, check /Config/OBSP/OBSP.txt - it's probably something wrong with a CFG file or the scenario.

TO DO
-SDK
-Get correct explosion physics working
-Better quality weapons, better explosion graphics.

USEFUL ADDONS / PROGRAMS
-Computerex's orbDamage + vCollision
-JoystickCursorTool - (For keymapping a joystick to the MFD)
-Urwumpe's SensorMFD

If someone could test it out for bugs for me, I'd be very grateful.

I'm sorry about the quality of the default weapons. I pulled the meshes from 3D warehouse. If any modellers, texturers or coders would like to help me make better ones, I'd be thrilled :)

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
A few comments:

I probably wouldn't model damage or deletion in Orbiter combat: I'd leave that to the author of each combat addon. What I probably would do, though, is record each hit, as well as the mass and velocity (and maybe a few bits of other data) of each impactor. (As well as giving some laser framework).

Also needed will be MFD's for fire control and encounter planning.

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Maybe and change MFD color...that dark blue make hard to read...;)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
And the ignorant one asked "where are the enemy ships?"
The answer was "there are none"
And the ignorant one began his path to knowledge.

Not anymore :) :(

Seriously, on the system:
*The blue text on black background is all but readable, even in the glass cockpit mode. No toggle for it found.
*Apparently i nuked the KSC by pressing the wrong button outright while modeling a "i'm too important to read the manuals, let them tell me everything personally" kind of character.
*The mushroom cloud from the nuke was under big angle to the ground, and didn't linger long enough for any good look.
*The DG was well within the range of the nuke(~500m), yet it's survived.
*Firing 2 missiles within 2 seconds does a CTD.

*Suggestion: Persistent craters.
*Suggestion: Some realistic explosion graphics - a flash at least.
*Suggestion: Homing device on the missile, or it's gona be too frustrating to be an interesting game.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
And the ignorant one asked "where are the enemy ships?"
The answer was "there are none"
And the ignorant one began his path to knowledge.

Not anymore :) :(

I agree. Coming soon ;)
Seriously, on the system:
*The blue text on black background is all but readable, even in the glass cockpit mode. No toggle for it found.

The text is white in the latest one. Re-download.

*Apparently i nuked the KSC by pressing the wrong button outright while modeling a "i'm too important to read the manuals, let them tell me everything personally" kind of character.

Lol :p That was the FRE button then?

*The mushroom cloud from the nuke was under big angle to the ground, and didn't linger long enough for any good look.
Yeah, still need to fix that. It's still got velocity after it explodes. I wasn't sure how to program that - Do explosions keep moving, or stay absolutely still? And remember, Explosions are deleted after the time specified in combat.cfg (default is 3 seconds)

*The DG was well within the range of the nuke(~500m), yet it's survived.
The Little Boy's blast radius is a kilometre. Make sure DAMAGE is set to TRUE in combat.cfg.

*Firing 2 missiles within 2 seconds does a CTD.

Yup. Known bug :(

*Suggestion: Persistent craters.
*Suggestion: Some realistic explosion graphics - a flash at least.
*Suggestion: Homing device on the missile, or it's gona be too frustrating to be an interesting game.

All coming soon, hopefully. Could I use Orulex for the craters? :p DarkWanderer has a guidance function done, that will be in there soon. And an explosion animation will also be in there.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
That was the FRE button then?
Right.

Yeah, still need to fix that. It's still got velocity after it explodes. I wasn't sure how to program that - Do explosions keep moving, or stay absolutely still?
In the real? It's just a cloud of various stuff from all around the blast zone - for a nuke it's essentially stationary, for a small bomb it fill be a pointed cloud.

When the bomb hits the dirt, why not create an explosion mesh landed at it's coordinates? Or, make the bomb landed before turning it into an explosion, whichever way you use?

Could I use Orulex for the craters? :p
Not anymore. 1.2 Orulex is incapable of any kind of changing scenery, and current Orulex is long since not Orbiter 2006 compatible.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Having an explosion be formed of textured particle effects (similar to NEBO) might look better than having it be an actual mesh, I think.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yeah, still need to fix that. It's still got velocity after it explodes. I wasn't sure how to program that - Do explosions keep moving, or stay absolutely still?

In vacuum they keep moving. In atmosphere they slow down fairly quickly, at a rate depending on the properties of the explosion and of the atmosphere.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's new mesh...;)
I add and Fat Man...

Thanks liber, I think I'll use those from now on, if that's ok. Are they yours?

Also, we need modellers and texturers to make pretty weapons and explosions. Anyone interested?

Will have the explosions thing fixed soon.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not mine,thay are from warehouse...but if you don't want to use tham I could make the same...

I may aswell use them for now, until I can find a modeller and texturer that would like to work with myself and DarkWanderer.

btw, Are there any restrictions on using 3D Warehouse models on proects like this?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
modeller and texturer that would like to work with myself and DarkWanderer.

What do you need modelled and textured? :)

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Are there any restrictions on using 3D Warehouse models on proects like this?

Probably...I made new meshes,thay are simple,no tex...you could use tham as your own until you don't get better one...:p
I add and animator files into zip if you want to resize it or anything...

Fat Man,Little Boy and Missile + ani into zip.

Last edited:

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Probably...I made new meshes,thay are simple,no tex...you could use tham as your own until you don't get better one...:p
I add and animator files into zip if you want to resize it or anything...

Fat Man,Little Boy and Missile + ani into zip.

Thanks liber :)

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a suggestion: Could you cache the explosion meshes? Pre-load them somewhere before the weapon explodes? About 25% of times when I drop a nuke and watch it, Orbiter crashes and my guess is due to having to spawn the mesh...

Also... one bug:
When the weapon hits the ground, it slides on the ground for a second or so before exploding.

Other then that, keep up the good job :)

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a suggestion: Could you cache the explosion meshes? Pre-load them somewhere before the weapon explodes? About 25% of times when I drop a nuke and watch it, Orbiter crashes and my guess is due to having to spawn the mesh...

Also... one bug:
When the weapon hits the ground, it slides on the ground for a second or so before exploding.

Other then that, keep up the good job :)

I still have to sort out memory management. Once it's done, it will all run nice 'n smooth :p

The sliding thing is because the GroundExpAlt in combat.cfg is set too low. Give it another metre.

And thanks for the positive comments :)

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I still have to sort out memory management. Once it's done, it will all run nice 'n smooth :p

The sliding thing is because the GroundExpAlt in combat.cfg is set too low. Give it another metre.

And thanks for the positive comments :)

Rocket is to slow,give ti a little more speed.
A don't want to be hit by my own missile from behinde...and I manage to dock rocket somehow in flight...:lol: