OFMM Science Goals - Surface: Discussion

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
@ Athena: seen the movie. I get the reference. I'm more concerned about how we'll pressurize and keep the plants warm. The one issue with UCGO-spawned clear items is that the UMMU inside is not visible. We may need to drag in a mesh maker for this, and it could turn out a usable addon for the community. After all, that's how the SSK formed!
@ Bloodworth: That may require us to use Aerobrake MFD. We should add that to the required list pronto. After all, it's really useful for other missions. :)

Interceptor

Reaction score
There's some nice greenhouse's in orbiterfrancophones addon HLV - lunar base - v1.2a,and also markp has a nice UCGO version greenhouse in his latest version of his Design Reference Mission 1 v1.4.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
@ Bloodworth: That may require us to use Aerobrake MFD. We should add that to the required list pronto. After all, it's really useful for other missions. :)

Yes it is, but even with it, due to mars's nigh on nonexistant atmosphere, I keep overshooting the landing by about 40-60km even after aerobrake says I should be on the ground :) I'm still learning how to bring it down 40-60km short of the target and continue to decelerate; hopefully without overshooting. Not there yet, but fortunately the current mission I'm running affords me LOTS of practice :)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Huh. I would have thought that it would account for it...

@Interceptor: Great hints! I'll take a look.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
There's some nice greenhouse's in orbiterfrancophones addon HLV - lunar base - v1.2a,and also markp has a nice UCGO version greenhouse in his latest version of his Design Reference Mission 1 v1.4.

I like that idea, the only problem I see is that (if I am not mistaken) those modules require the DESCARTES spacecraft to deliver them. The Descartes does not operate well in Orbiter 2010, and does not operate at all in 2010 if you use the total immersion add-on :(.

As far as a greenhouse, I seem to recall there being a UCGO glass dome somewhere. In either event, all we would be able to do would be to build the greenhouse itself, Im not aware of any hydroponic plant racks out there anywhere.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
I like that idea, the only problem I see is that (if I am not mistaken) those modules require the DESCARTES spacecraft to deliver them. The Descartes does not operate well in Orbiter 2010, and does not operate at all in 2010 if you use the total immersion add-on :(.

No way DESCARTES is required for HLV.

The only thing listed as a requirement for HLV is Ariane6. I believe its lunar transportation vessel is included into HLV pack itself.

And if you're about to deliver it to Mars - I bet it fits in Arrow's hangar. Another question is how you gonna land it.

Last edited:

Athena

Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen
Reaction score
As far as a greenhouse, I seem to recall there being a UCGO glass dome somewhere. In either event, all we would be able to do would be to build the greenhouse itself, Im not aware of any hydroponic plant racks out there anywhere.

You mean [ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4453]this glass module?[/ame]

Interceptor

Reaction score

HI,But no the greenhouses in the HLV addon does not use the Descartes,and yes it has a dome with plant racks that actually grow in time,and so does the other UCGO greenhouse I mentioned in the post,and I have the Descartes running just fine in orbiter2010P1,and also with Total immersion.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score

Yep, thats the one :)

Ok, I did say I may have been mistaken about the greenhouse module needing descartes. For some reason, the performance of Descartes is spotty for me in orbiter 2010 and with total imerssion it will not run at all; shows me empty space, not even a glass cockpit.

Interceptor

Reaction score
I'll look into that for you,maybe I can figure out why it's not running right for you ,because I have no problems with it.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
:sick:

Sorry I haven't been in here lately, I think my friend gave me the PAXpox. Anyways, from what I've gathered, Aerobrake needs to be added, and the stock UCGO XPDR beacon.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yes, Aerobrake will be crucial to a pinpoint entry. However, the stock UCGO beacon comes with the UCGO 2.5 beta ;)

Let's scratch the greenhouse off the list for the time being. If we can find a way to shoehorn it in later, we should take another look then.