Problem OGLA: Frustrated to my wits end

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I know I've been away for a while--work and other things have consumed my time.

I want to get back into Orbiter. There's just one problem. After doing a clean install with my only addons being OGLA 110130 and Orbiter Sound 4.0, every time I try use Orbiter, it will run for an unpredictable amount of time (I've actually completed a whole lunar trip before)--then it hangs, usually for 15 to 30 seconds, then it just goes CTD.

ogla.log shows either a bunch of these
Code:
1/13/2019-3:55:37 PM:[OGLAUX    ]:Error: (ogla_render2D) Access violation at address 01223C93 in module 'ogla.dll'. Write of address 00000002 (hc=0)
or this:
Code:
1/13/2019-3:40:47 PM:[Graph     ]:Error: Error in render_panel

I've tried all kinds of winetricks commands, moving orbiter around, moving DLLs around--but every time it seems like I finally have this problem beat, it happens again.

Can anyone hazard a solution? I want SO bad to get seriously back into Orbiter, and maybe start doing interplanetary trips again...but I'm just out of ideas as to what could be causing this. I could swear I used to run Orbiter with OGLA on this same machine a couple of years ago with no problems.

HP-15-f272wm Laptop
Kubuntu 18.04 LTS
Orbiter 2010 P1
OGLA 110130
Wine 3.0

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Orbiter 2010 and OGLAClient...
Feels like it was a lifetime ago. Two lifetimes, to be precise. :/

I would hazard a guess that this got something to do with GDI emulation layer (which was always lousy and imprecise), so either MFDs or panels. If so, try isolating it to a single one. As the last resort, there should be a switch somewhere in the config that turns it off completely.

Practically, it might be a good idea to try new versions of everything - from WINE to Orbiter, and try D3D9 clients which might have better support in WINE.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I just run a lunar mission using only the 3D cockpit view in the Shuttle-A, and hallelujah, no CTDs or hangs!

I think it has something to do with the HUD view shown in 2D panel and glass cockpit views. So if using 3D cockpit is the way, I guess I'm okay with that. It's a bit like the real thing--you don't get to spend much time enjoying the fabulous vistas of space :(

I think the next thing I'm going to try is setting ddr to GDI in Winetricks.

For now, I'm prepared to consider this problem solved, but at terrible cost. I will report back on some of my other experiments with it.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Well. I was shocked and delighted to get the D3D9 client working after what I was sure was a Hail Mary effort:blink::hail:

I have never gotten D3D9 to work in Orbiter on any of my machines. I'd always operated under the notion that it was just plain off limits to me. I've gotten used to OGLA and even liked it. It ran just fine on my laptop a couple of years ago--I didn't start having problems with it until I switched to Linux Mint 18 KDE back--September? Ish?--of 2017. I :love: how the tinted window on the Shuttle-A's virtual cockpit created a glare effect from the sun:)

Anyway, I am now greatly enjoying a 40-50 second frame rate, and looking forward to installing IMFD, Aerobrake, and Burn Time Calculator.

For the record, I have nothing against OGLA. Artlav, you have a good product there. It certainly took considerably more programming skill than I have to create that. I supposed it just isn't for every user, machine, or situation tho.